372xp Bar size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're running a 372 with a 24" bar or less, and you're not using a 8 tooth rim, you're leaving a few nuts in the sack.

With the 372s high top end speed a 7 tooth rim is perfect for it no matter what length bar you got on it. My 372 came from the factory with a 7 pin. Thats what this saw is designed for. Lets say its just the right gear ratio.

Get a 20". If you ever move to the PNW, then you should get the right bar. Be carefull, Its hard to move with a bad back.

Guess I'm good w/ not being a real man, and really like the fact that the 18" bar doesn't have to spend very long in the cut. If you like the speed of a 70cc saw wearing 24" bar....you should try an 18" bar, now she's really got some giddyup.

Your not the first person to tell me how much faster your saw is because you put a shorter bar on it. I have run a 20", 28", and 36" on my 064, and I can not tell any difference in the cut. My chain mph is virtually the same with all 3 bars. The test log I had, before I cut about 100 pies off of it, (I need a new log beside the shop, lol) was 18" on the small end, and 20" at the other.

So I guess my question is, what the :censored: are you, and other people talking about?

AM I supposed to cut bigger wood with the bigger bar so I can make a fair comparison?

AM I supposed to cut bigger wood with the bigger bar so I can make a fair comparison?

I think the question should be, if you are cutting small wood, and weight is an issue, why did you buy a big saw?

20" on a 372 is like putting lada wheels on a mustang. yeah, its lighter, itl spin faster, but it aint travelling any quicker and you'll look like a twit.

Yep, looks better with bigger.

Al.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/chainsaw/2171/IMG_2049.jpg

yep, this one a 28" on a 65cc, can be useful sometimes, but I don't like getting the bar dirty and prefer to keep it pretty..

ymll.jpg

Seems to be a lot of "pizz" drinking going on tonight or for that matter any night.

Craftman's saw motto is sell the saw with the longest bar possible and people will think it is powerful and manly, seems to be a lot of that going on too.

Proper saw use would be to fit the bar to the trees and the users capability.

If the novice user is only 5'-8" a 24" bar in typical small timber is a trencher. The average person running a 50-70cc saw is not cutting for a living and should not have to worry about the long term effects of a days worth of slight bending per year.

They should probably be more worried about liver damage.

20" on a 372 is like putting lada wheels on a mustang. yeah, its lighter, itl spin faster, but it aint travelling any quicker and you'll look like a twit.[/QUOTE]

So your worried about what others think?

You don't need a big bar if ya only got a little one Steve!

Al.

20" on a 372 is like putting lada wheels on a mustang. yeah, its lighter, itl spin faster, but it aint travelling any quicker and you'll look like a twit.

So your worried about what others think?

You don't need a big bar if ya only got a little one Steve!

Al.[/QUOTE]

hmmm... Al my young padowin learner. you are forgetting the first rule of CAD.

Rule #1 You need to look cool.

Looking cool will get you: more pu$$y, respect from any 1/2 wit dealer, extra jobs (money) from rich people, and more forgiveness from your wife.

remember mate, its all about looking cool.

If I had a little one, then id be claiming that my balance was perfect and i didnt need a bigger one in the first place :D:D:D

So I guess my question is, what the :censored: are you, and other people talking about?

Shorter bar, bigger rim, more chain speed = faster in the cut IF you have enough motor to run the bigger rim.

THAT'S what the :censored: we are talking about. Just changing bar lengths won't get you nuttin but a shorter bar length. Take your 064 with a 9 pin rim and an 18 inch bar and watch the chips fly !

Ian

For your amusement... a standard 7 pin 3/8 rim and a 9 pin 3/8 rim. I usually run an 8 pin on my saw.

attachment.php

hmmm... Al my young padowin learner. you are forgetting the first rule of CAD.

Rule #1 You need to look cool.

Looking cool will get you: more pu$$y, respect from any 1/2 wit dealer, extra jobs (money) from rich people, and more forgiveness from your wife.

remember mate, its all about looking cool.

If I had a little one, then id be claiming that my balance was perfect and i didnt need a bigger one in the first place :D:D:D

But once you have;

a) Respect
b) Pu$$y
c) extra jobs/money
and the hardest to achieve
d) Forgiveness from your wife,

...by all means whack a 16" on your 372.

Had a win today. Dropped in the at local Husky dealer (top guy) to get a price on a 32" bar for my yet to arrive 7900. Oregon only make a 30" or 36" so chose a 30". He goes out the back and comes out with a once used 30" bar to suit (he chopped down one gum tree with it - still has all the paint and writing) and throws in 2 Oregon full chisel chains that are near new and never sharpened and I get the lot for AUD$99 (USD$82). Went in for just a price, come out with a bar and 2 chains for a bargain. He also knocked a couple of links out of each chain too so it'd fit the Dolmar.
He was running it on a Husky 570 I think - I reckon it probably struggled a tad.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Aussie :)
Have a got a fair few old dead gums planted in the 60's on my fiancee's parents farm (30-44" trunks - Longicorn borers are in the process of or have already killed them) and also some still living pines that need chopping down (dropping limbs and near some grain silos). Have already knocked a fair few over with my 16" McCulloch but its bloody hard work and a fair way out of its depth, hence I ordered a Dolmar PS-7900. I've also got a mate in Huonville, Tasmania who has 140 acres and some huge pines (50-60") in a creek line that he wants chopped down - I'll do that on my next holiday. He got a local guy from a timber mill to come and chop a couple of big pines down where he built his house and charged him $500 so I said I'd knock the rest over for nothing. If I didn't get such a good deal I might have only bought a 28" or something but at that price I couldn't leave it there ;)
Actually posted another thread (link below) last night regarding the bar/chains and found it is actually a 32" Power Match Plus bar so even a better deal than I thought even though the dealer shortened the chains too much (he thought it was a 30" bar and will fix them for nothing as you'd expect).
Although the Oregon manual said they only make 30" and 36" the bar selector on their website lists a heap of different sizes available.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=76941

Last edited:
But once you have;

a) Respect
b) Pu$$y
c) extra jobs/money
and the hardest to achieve
d) Forgiveness from your wife,

...by all means whack a 16" on your 372.

haven't done it so far, but it is there - but where to get a 9-pin rim....:confused:

Latest posts

Back