Buying a new saw, any suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob lombara

372xp, 372xp, 550xp, ms880, ms170, 028wb, 19t
Reaction score
Thanks, but i like to deal locally, having second thoughts, I'm 15, and my dad won't let me get any used saws (don't blame him). I have had bad experiences in the past. I just like saws!!!!!:dancing::dancing: Thinking of buying a new saw, open to dolmar, husqvarna, stihl, jonsered or maybe even a jonsereds:rock:. Any recommendations, we already have a 550xp, 372xp and a 371xp.
:barbecue:

New things are nice but I would suggest you pick one saw you already have that you like. Now go out and really work it and get to know it inside and out. Know how to tune it, fix it, and even rebuild it. This may take a few years. Once you know a saw like that you will know exactly what you want and what you dislike.

Get something smaller like a dolmar 421 or a top handle. Having a little saw that's easy to pack and carry is very helpful. I love my little Tanaka. Especially for trimming brush and limbing smaller branches.

A smaller saw is awesome to have. However I would avoid a top handle saw. They are not as easy to control and can promote bad habits (one handed use)
However a rear handle version can be a great and useful tool to have.

Back