DOLMAR 6100 OR 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MICHIGANSAWER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well someone thought they needed my Efco 165 more than I did. :mad: So its off to the dealer for a new Dolmar.
Tested out a 6100 and really liked it, but have been wanting to step up a class or two. This will be strictly a firewood saw and wear a 18 or 20 inch bar most of the time. May have the need for a 24-28 inch bar but pretty rare. This being said is it worth the extra $ for a 79cc firewood saw?

your in luck. you left yourself with only one choice with the 28" bar comment. 6100 is small mount and a 24" is as big as they go. IMHO i would stay with the 6100. lighter weight, better air filtration, larger fuel tank for much longer cut times and if you really need to run a 28" bar buy a 7910 later on. I must be a puss because i dont care for lugging around a 7900 for general firewood use. The most used saw i own is a 421/16" bar. 7900 definitely fills the least used bracket. I know blasphemy! Everybody knows bigger is always better

I likta SMILE....and eat chips while I do so........"Give me the 7900!!" I haven't ran a 6100, but I hear there impressive. I have a 6000i Dolmar that I think is in the running for being one of the best 60cc saws made. The torque it has is amazing for a saw that size.

your in luck. you left yourself with only one choice with the 28" bar comment. 6100 is small mount and a 24" is as big as they go. IMHO i would stay with the 6100. lighter weight, better air filtration, larger fuel tank for much longer cut times and if you really need to run a 28" bar buy a 7910 later on. I must be a puss because i dont care for lugging around a 7900 for general firewood use. The most used saw i own is a 421/16" bar. 7900 definitely fills the least used bracket. I know blasphemy! Everybody knows bigger is always better
Good advice, big difference when buying to hold and work with for long peroids compared with cutting a few cookies at gtg's. I always aim to have the lightest saw in my hands that l can get away with. Besides, the 6100 is a whole new saw design and it has strato reed induction and air filter worth owning. l want one just cause they are so cool with reeds and all. The 7901 is probably one of the best 80cc saws availible but make sure you require 80cc's before you get one. The 6100 is much more versitile.

If $$ is a big issue and you want better air filtration and fuel efficiency go with the 6100. But the 7910 is a whole different animal. I loved my friends 044, until I got a 7900. Our 6100 also lost some of its luster after running the 7900 but I still love both. Also, I prefer the oiler adjustment and master control switch better on the 6100. The 6100 is definitely underrated and would do everything you need and then some. As long as you come home with a Dolmar you'll be happy:chainsaw:

My logger buddy uses a Mastermind 576, Dolmar 7900 and a stock Husky 562. He told me the other day he was planning on getting a new saw. I ask what model. He said another 562.
He said him and his crew of two liked using the 562 the best. No need for an extra two pounds. Other than a scored piston from ethanol on both the 562 and 7900, on the same day, no problems in about two year of everyday use. Oh, and the ground electrode broke off the spark plug.
So my comment is in the long run you may like the 6100 more.

7900 will sure put a smile on your face but for the average out of shape guy cutting firewood even just a few hours of swinging them around gets old. awesome saw to have for cutting bigger trees or bucking into rounds but overall i think most guys would be better served by running 50-60cc saws for general firewood use.

I own a 7910 and I'd recommend you get the 6100, I put a 20" on my 7910 and it didn't even flinch to being buried in balsam poplar, it might've dropped 100-200 rpm when I put it in 18" Elm. I have a 28" on it now and that's what it's for 28-32" in 25"+ wood.

The 6100 would like a 20" bar. For firewooding I'd use my 7910 because it'd be maybe be 30 cuts for my weekend fire, if I needed to heat a house or cut up a few cords I'd use the smallest saw I could. Which would be my 353 (has 18 and 20" bars) which I want to trade for a ps-421. So a 6100 with a 20" would be even stronger.

I dont have any saw complex so im gonna suggest a 6100.

But only you know what you cut , ive gotten to the point if a 60cc saw wont cut it i dont wanna handle it..firewood is a pain in the ass especially after your done cutting it.

I think people really exaggerate the wood they cut , ive cut some pretty big logs for firewood with a 60cc saw, how big of a hurry are you in ? ..18-20 inch bar ..occasional 24"...buy a 6100.

Fortunately not so. Frawleys can get you a K095-mount 28" Oregon Power-Match bar for $71. (http://www.loggerchain.com/OREGON-2...AKITA-BAR-3-8-PITCH-050-93DL-280RNDK095-D.htm) 93 DL.

My PS-6100 handles a 24" b&c nicely, even noodling sugar maple. No temptation here to go beyond, having 576XP with 28". Speaking of noodling, clutch cover of 6100 is excellent at clearing chips from noodling.

Fortunately not so. Frawleys can get you a K095-mount 28" Oregon Power-Match bar for $71. (http://www.loggerchain.com/OREGON-2...AKITA-BAR-3-8-PITCH-050-93DL-280RNDK095-D.htm) 93 DL.

My PS-6100 handles a 24" b&c nicely, even noodling sugar maple. No temptation here to go beyond, having 576XP with 28". Speaking of noodling, clutch cover of 6100 is excellent at clearing chips from noodling.
288RNDK095 may still be listed on websites and on some dealers shelves but it was discontinued about 2 yrs ago. It is not listed in the 2015 oregon catalog.

The OP should buy ^^^from^^^a ^^^sponser if he can. We gotta support the guys who pay to keep the lights on for us. l know where my 6100 will come from when l am ready and besides the guy is always in every dolmar related thread taking time to help others whethter they want a saw or not. With a first world postal service and a little puter one may get better more timely service than a local shop. l live half a world away from sponsers that have served me better than anyone local.

Yep. Fordf150 is good people. Best parts prices I've ever seen. And quick shipping
The OP should buy ^^^from^^^a ^^^sponser if he can. We gotta support the guys who pay to keep the lights on for us. l know where my 6100 will come from when l am ready and besides the guy is always in every dolmar related thread taking time to help others whethter they want a saw or not. With a first world postal service and a little puter one may get better more timely service than a local shop. l live half a world away from sponsers that have served me better than anyone local.

Back