Forester bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a Forester bar & chain for occasional use. We've had a pretty bad storm here and I'm going to need a longer than 18" bar on my 038 Magnum. I'm looking at a 20" or 24" , but once I've helped cut up the big oaks, I'll go back to the 18" Price wise Forester seems to fit the bill for this short time use.

Thanks guys, I was more inclined to go with a lesser cost bar because of the few times I would use a bar that size. For $40 w/chain a 20" will do the job.... I think.... or would you recommend a 24" for safe measures? Keep in mind I'm 70, and whatever bar I get would not get much use and only in case of emergency like we have going on up this way. That's why I'm not looking for a bar that would give me years of service.

I got some of the red letter replaceable tip bars pro F out there that are unreal IMO for the cost. The green lettered F replaceable tip remind me of oregon power match wear and everything for half cost usually.

Dont know anything on the laminated ones though.

Still means something to me...

I didn't mean to indicate we shouldn't pay attention to opportunities to "buy American", I meant from a quality standpoint, the country of origin has almost no impact on quality. Crappy stuff can be found everywhere as well as top notch goods. Generally, respectable companies will supply good quality because they have processes to insure that it meets their standard. An item that is manufactured in many if not most cases is made from a conglomeration of parts and pieces sourced from around the world. If someone that doesn't want to use a part just because it is from a particular country or region may be very surprised if they knew the source of the oem part they're trying to replace.

I didn't mean to indicate we shouldn't pay attention to opportunities to "buy American", I meant from a quality standpoint, the country of origin has almost no impact on quality. Crappy stuff can be found everywhere as well as top notch goods. Generally, respectable companies will supply good quality because they have processes to insure that it meets their standard. An item that is manufactured in many if not most cases is made from a conglomeration of parts and pieces sourced from around the world. If someone that doesn't want to use a part just because it is from a particular country or region may be very surprised if they knew the source of the oem part they're trying to replace.
Thanks for clarifying. I understand...

I have 2 in the 20" variety on a 038 and an 041. Both have been good so far but I don't have a lot of experience with other bars/chains to compare.

I use them. In my 346 I wore out 2 Oregon bars in a year. I ordered a Forester and that bar has been going strong for 1 1/2 years.

Consider me impressed with them for their price. I'll never be buying a Oregon bar again for three times the price of a Forester.

l normally buy the best bars l can as they justify thier worth over their lifetime however when buying two saws from an AS member (555&6400) they both had Forestor bars. One was the red labled pro sprocket nose bar 22" and the other 16" laminated green labled homeowner bar. l must say l am quite impressed with both bars, no premature burring, hard straight rails, sturdy replaceable sprocket nose ect. l certainly do not believe an oregon powermatch to be any better in quality. For the money forrestor bars represent great value lMO. As l said, l would not have specifically purchased forrestor but when trading saws one gets the pleasure of trying many accessories and l give them the big thumbs up! You could spend alot more on a worse bar lMO.

l normally buy the best bars l can as they justify thier worth over their lifetime however when buying two saws from an AS member (555&6400) they both had Forestor bars. One was the red labled pro sprocket nose bar 22" and the other 16" laminated green labled homeowner bar. l must say l am quite impressed with both bars, no premature burring, hard straight rails, sturdy replaceable sprocket nose ect. l certainly do not believe an oregon powermatch to be any better in quality. For the money forrestor bars represent great value lMO. As l said, l would not have specifically purchased forrestor but when trading saws one gets the pleasure of trying many accessories and l give them the big thumbs up! You could spend alot more on a worse bar lMO.
I'm beginning to think Oregon bars are made from recycled beer cans. I've seen them need dressed after 2 gallons of milling.

I'm beginning to think Oregon bars are made from recycled beer cans. I've seen them need dressed after 2 gallons of milling.

Agree,

Plus the longer bars are really flexible in comparison to a Stihl, Total, or comparable bar.

I don't know where all Oregon bars made, nor do I really care, but based on the quality of the steel used I'd be more than willing to bet it's sourced from mainland China.

Prior to retiring from Engineering, we used to cut coupons from just about any critical parts coming from China whether material certs were furnished or not. ( Things may be different now, but a Chinese material cert doesn't even make good toilet paper). In at least 75% of the independent test lab's analysis the Chinese steel did not meet the correct ASTM specs in terms of alloy composition or mechanical strength properties. In short, going back to mdavlee's comment, you can not heat treat the rails if there's no carbon in the steel.

Take Care

From my experience with forrester I wouldnt touch one.I have several logger buddys around here and one said that the first bar they used split out.they tossed out the others.the first Forrester chain they used broke within minutes.when it broke it was launched straight towards his brother.bad news if it had hit him up in the mountains where they were working.
For emergency use I myself would only buy the best.in an emergency its already a bad situation and doesnt need to be any worse due to bad equipment.
Instead of forrester brand check out left coast supplys they sell GB brand bars that are made in Australia for a steal.

here is some info on forester bars from as told to me from a dealer rep. they use American steel, and either American or Australian bearings for the roller tips. these bars do wear very well and gernerally have been outlasting Oregon bars and some siihl bars. now there chain is a different story its junk. stretches out and will not hold an edge. I use carlton chain on the forester bars makes a great combo.

Back