Greenthorn attempts at hand filing square ground / Critics welcomed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a touch of a beak, which is OK.

I've made some mistakes on my chain, then went back to the drawing board and tried to correct them, so I'm not posing pics!

Yep, I see a very slight beak too,

...no tacos for you!!!...

Just bird seed

Square filing is not easy IMHO, practice, practice, silvey

I think junkmans sharpened for soft wood. Do you guys have handles for your files? Does that seem to improve the holding/handling of the file? I guess I'll go make one, and see. I think I've pretty well got it down now, at least the mechanics of it anyway. I finished this 67dl in about 3 1/2 hours :(. Looks like I'll be ordering a simington for Christmas..:)

I think junkmans sharpened for soft wood. Do you guys have handles for your files? Does that seem to improve the holding/handling of the file? I guess I'll go make one, and see. I think I've pretty well got it down now, at least the mechanics of it anyway. I finished this 67dl in about 3 1/2 hours :(. Looks like I'll be ordering a simington for Christmas..:)
A handle helps keeping the fingers from cramping up ,and a little better one handed control .

If a 105 dl takes more than 10 min i feel like i spent too much time ,you need that grinder ,especially if converting round to square ,once the chain is shaped to your file ,if do not hit rocks ,should be able to touch it up in 5-10 min or so like round .

A handle makes all the difference for me, but it has to be the round wooden ones .......... all the others dont let me articulate my wrist well enough to produce a nice corner

A handle makes all the difference for me, but it has to be the round wooden ones .......... all the others dont let me articulate my wrist well enough to produce a nice corner
I will add that for me, after filing several teeth (especially when converting round to square) I feel like my arm and chest starts to go numb.
I hit the weight pile 3-4 days a week since the 80's and maybe thats why, but once I lose some feeling, I have to stop and do something different or I lose the corner

I will add that for me, after filing several teeth (especially when converting round to square) I feel like my arm and chest starts to go numb.
I hit the weight pile 3-4 days a week since the 80's and maybe thats why, but once I lose some feeling, I have to stop and do something different or I lose the corner
You need a grinder also

If a 105 dl takes more than 10 min i feel like i spent too much time ,you need that grinder ,especially if converting round to square ,once the chain is shaped to your file ,if do not hit rocks ,should be able to touch it up in 5-10 min or so like round .

Just got off the phone with madsens, will ship this week. :rock::guitar:

Now I'll have fodder to start another thread next week.

Latest posts

Back