Husky 435 starting problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robwill

Reaction score
Just got a new Husqvarna 435. Saw is great once it runs but Ihave been having trouble getting it to start easily (much harder than my older Jonsered and Stihl)

Anyone else notice this or any advice?

thanks,

robwill

Post this in the chainsaw forum.

Also describe your starting procedure and what makes it difficult if you can...

does it stall? does it flood?

If the saw is relatively new and healthy my guess is you're just unfamiliar with the particular saw. Sometimes different brands or models have different temperments.

I'm pretty much just following the instructions - choke on for cold start, hit primer bulb six times and pull cord.

I did see something posted elsewhere about occasionally seeing a bad coil in this model........

Six times on the primer seems a bit much, not that I claim to know more than the owner's manual or anything. Ya might be flooding it, try with just a couple squirts and the choke, or just the choke by itself.

The primer just pumps gas to the carb not into the cylinder. Your low circut could be set a little lean thanks to the EPA. You could try opening the low adjuster some if it's not up agianst the limiter caps. Steve

Just got a new Husqvarna 435. Saw is great once it runs but Ihave been having trouble getting it to start easily (much harder than my older Jonsered and Stihl)

thanks,

robwill

Definatly the truth. I had a terrible time the last time. I used the directions the first couple of times and while I thought it took longer than it should it did fire up and ran flawlessly after that, one pull after it was warm.

I think its gets flooded, once I couldnt get it left it alone for a while then went back to it and it fired right up and acted like the carb was loaded with fuel. Ive only ran the saw five times though so its just something to adjust to, my opinion is it floods easily and you gotta be aware of it.

Ive read too that a small adjustment is needed on the carb screws but I havent the tool yet so I dont remeber what the adjustment is, but I found it on here somewhere. I love it when its running though.

If it runs fine once it's started and will sit and idle okay, I don't think the carb is flooding the saw. Does it ever cut out when running and die or is it only a problem when you shut the saw off deliberately? If so my other suspicions would be a bad or incorrect-model spark plug (if you've put a new one in recently this is the most likely culprit), or a plugged fuel tank vent.

And FWIW it is possible to flood a saw with some primers because they shoot fuel straight into the carb throat through an auxiliary jet in the carb. In such a case though the saw will usually fire for a couple seconds until it pulls too much fuel into the crankcase and floods itself.

Are you using the same starting procedure (choke, prime, pull) to start the saw even once it's warm? Because once you've had it running and warmed up, you shouldn't need to use the choke OR primer to re-start it within a half hour to an hour of it being run, and probably just the choke but not the primer for quite a while after that even.

If it runs fine once it's started and will sit and idle okay, I don't think the carb is flooding the saw. Does it ever cut out when running and die or is it only a problem when you shut the saw off deliberately? If so my other suspicions would be a bad or incorrect-model spark plug (if you've put a new one in recently this is the most likely culprit), or a plugged fuel tank vent.

And FWIW it is possible to flood a saw with some primers because they shoot fuel straight into the carb throat through an auxiliary jet in the carb. In such a case though the saw will usually fire for a couple seconds until it pulls too much fuel into the crankcase and floods itself.

Are you using the same starting procedure (choke, prime, pull) to start the saw even once it's warm? Because once you've had it running and warmed up, you shouldn't need to use the choke OR primer to re-start it within a half hour to an hour of it being run, and probably just the choke but not the primer for quite a while after that even.

Does the primer on the Husky 435 shoot fuel into the carb throat? Steve

I have two Huskys, a 254 & 345, both like 2-5 pulls full choke until you get the engine to fire an die, you then push the choke in, making sure the throttle is still held open (pull the throttle and you hear the throttle opener snap shut) - I usually pull the choke fully out, and open the throttle a couple of times and then close the choke slowly - then give the engine one or two quick pulls and it should burst in to glorious life - my Jonsered is exactly the same!

If the tank has run dry and refilled then it may need a couple of pulls more on full choke after the engine fires and dies but this seems the standard way to get the Swedish saws buzzing!

Spud

thanks,

robwill

The 435 I have sounds similar to yours. It was tempermental on the restart after it was warmed up. First initial cold start I would give recommended pumps on primer with choke engaged and usually on first or second pull it would try to fire up. Then just take choke off and start on next pull. After it was warm and if I used the primer it didn't want to start and only effective way to start it was with choke off, no prime, and holding throttle in.

Recently got carb adjust tool and opened L speed a 1/4 turn. Also, readjusted idle after this. No temperment now, starts easy cold or warm.

Your Husky dealer can get this carb tool, it is about $3.50 (husky part #530035560).

Latest posts

Back