Husqvarna 2100 Jungle Type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thin ring connection to the "Jungle" model isn't fact at all.....I've seen more than a few 2100CD's with thin rings......The "jungle muffler" was just an optional thing and that's about where the bear $hit and the buckwheat part ways as near as I can tell.:msp_biggrin:

is the jungle muffler the one that exits out the front down low with the louvers, or the one that exits out the side?

So this is a jungle muffler right?

photobucket-6026-1331416105181.jpg

Im don't know much about these model saws. Its off a 2100cd. Mine has the thick ring piston.

Yeah! that's the Jungle Muffler for a 2100cd. This whole 2100 jungle type Chainsaw is confusing. Were these only available in certain Countries or were they a special order item Saw. It's kind of weird, some came with Thin Rings and that Jungle Muffler, Possibly different cylinder.

My own personal thoughts are that is no absolutes with 2100's. Different mufflers, different AV mounts, different rings/pistons, different dogs, brake/no brake. Perhaps model years, where sold had some bearing???

I can't remember without going and looking, but Im thinking mine is a 1985 model. I kinda expected a Mahle topend, but it's not labeled that I could find under the gunk. Its nice quality, I figured it might be a gladardion ( know thats not spelled right), but it may not me too. Mine doesn't have a chain brake stuff either, but I guess that could be easily changed. First older model saw I've been into, Im interested in learning about these models. Right now mine's tore all the way down lol.

2100/298 muffler

Is is correct that the CD and/or jungle muffler will fit on the 298xp...sorry, have not yet compared the two IPL's.... If so... is it worth looking out for one? What "is" the jungle muffler difference?
Thanx

Last edited:
The Husqvarna 2100 ran from 1976-1986/87 then it became the 2101, which ran until 91 or so. There are some absolutes: The Jungle muffler is the one pictured, with the exhaust outlet at bottom front through the lovures. This muffler along with the "normal" muffler became deeper by about 10mm (ie more internal volume, same height and width) in 1985. It looks like the jungle muffler first appeared in 78/79, and was first referred to as "jungle" in 83. There was a piston change early on in 1978, not sure what the details are but there is a part # change in 78. (Note, this change is not the thin ring piston!) The thin ring piston first appeared in 1983/84. There is a part# listing for the thin rings in 1984, but no listing for the piston itself??? There is also reference to a slight crankcase change that if fitting the new cylinder/piston kit it would fowl on a very small piece of casting and that it had to be removed. Then in 1987 the standard thick ring piston got a change in that the ring lands/pins were moved to the inlet side and some reinforcing done under the piston rings. BTW in 1984 Husqvarna refers to their thick ring piston/cylinder set as the "jungle" type.......and did so untill 86/87. With the introduction of the 2101, the thin ring version was dropped and they used the same piston and rings in both std and "Jungle" types. Thick rings are cast and thin rings are steel. A "jungle" type clutch appeared in 1985 along with standard and continued until the end of the 2101. Very early 2100's had the Femsa type flywheel and ignition and then changed to SEM in 78. AFAIK they were all 3 pawl, and I believe it was the earlier 1100's that were 2 pawl. There were other small changes along the way with things like chainbrakes and clutch covers. There are 2 different chainbrake handle depedning on whether you have a full or half wrap handle. The oiler was available with 2 different pump shafts in 1981 onwards, one with 9-18ml output and the other with 15-24ml.

Now here is the kicker. I have no idea what Husqvarna spec'd for what market when 2 options were available, and then it would also depend on what the dealer was asking for to a degree. We have seen evidence of the PNW pushing saws for more power and bigger oil output due to the timber they were felling back in the day, and Im sure some of the stuff in say Brazil needed similar also.....just a guess really.

Take this info for what you will, dates could be wrong, but should be close.

I dont know much about the 298, other than no manual oiler and I think a different starter as they were prone to breaking and getting 2100 types swapped in???

Jungle model

I was told by ED Heard that he actually had like 3 or 4 2100 a while back and one of them was a 2100 Jungle and it actually had a different cylinder than the other ones the combustion chamber was smaller and who knows about the port timing they where a thin ring saws but he said the Jungle version was way stronger right out of the box. He also told me that he tried to order the same cylinder using the part # from the Jungle saw and when they showed up they were the regular 2100 cylinders. So he has only ever saw one true 2100 jungle in his day and the cylinder was diffinately different from a 2100CD.

I can't remember without going and looking, but Im thinking mine is a 1985 model. I kinda expected a Mahle topend, but it's not labeled that I could find under the gunk. Its nice quality, I figured it might be a gladardion ( know thats not spelled right), but it may not me too. Mine doesn't have a chain brake stuff either, but I guess that could be easily changed. First older model saw I've been into, Im interested in learning about these models. Right now mine's tore all the way down lol.

I have 7 2100/2101 cylinders, all are made by KolbenSchmidt, this company made many pistons and cylinders for Husqvarna (among many others) their brand symbol is a S over the top of an K. I also have 14 2100/2101 pistons of all types, these also are all KolbenSchmidt.

Last edited:
The Husqvarna 2100 ran from 1976-1986/87 then it became the 2101, which ran until 91 or so. There are some absolutes: The Jungle muffler is the one pictured, with the exhaust outlet at bottom front through the lovures. This muffler along with the "normal" muffler became deeper by about 10mm (ie more internal volume, same height and width) in 1985. It looks like the jungle muffler first appeared in 78/79, and was first referred to as "jungle" in 83. There was a piston change early on in 1978, not sure what the details are but there is a part # change in 78. (Note, this change is not the thin ring piston!) The thin ring piston first appeared in 1983/84. There is a part# listing for the thin rings in 1984, but no listing for the piston itself??? There is also reference to a slight crankcase change that if fitting the new cylinder/piston kit it would fowl on a very small piece of casting and that it had to be removed. Then in 1987 the standard thick ring piston got a change in that the ring lands/pins were moved to the inlet side and some reinforcing done under the piston rings. BTW in 1984 Husqvarna refers to their thick ring piston/cylinder set as the "jungle" type.......and did so untill 86/87. With the introduction of the 2101, the thin ring version was dropped and they used the same piston and rings in both std and "Jungle" types. Thick rings are cast and thin rings are steel. A "jungle" type clutch appeared in 1985 along with standard and continued until the end of the 2101. Very early 2100's had the Femsa type flywheel and ignition and then changed to SEM in 78. AFAIK they were all 3 pawl, and I believe it was the earlier 1100's that were 2 pawl. There were other small changes along the way with things like chainbrakes and clutch covers. There are 2 different chainbrake handle depedning on whether you have a full or half wrap handle. The oiler was available with 2 different pump shafts in 1981 onwards, one with 9-18ml output and the other with 15-24ml.

Now here is the kicker. I have no idea what Husqvarna spec'd for what market when 2 options were available, and then it would also depend on what the dealer was asking for to a degree. We have seen evidence of the PNW pushing saws for more power and bigger oil output due to the timber they were felling back in the day, and Im sure some of the stuff in say Brazil needed similar also.....just a guess really.

I dont know much about the 298, other than no manual oiler and I think a different starter as they were prone to breaking and getting 2100 types swapped in???

Wow, Thats a lot of information! Was there ever an actual ''jungle'' name on any of the 2100s?

Mine is an 85 model. It has the jungle muffler on it. It has the thick ring piston, with the ring end pins on the exhaust side. It has a very beefy looking clutch, don't know if its a ''jungle'' or not, but it looks a lot more heavier than my 395 clutch. Mine also has the SEM ignition.

Edit, Im a slow typer :D

Last edited:
I was told by ED Heard that he actually had like 3 or 4 2100 a while back and one of them was a 2100 Jungle and it actually had a different cylinder than the other ones the combustion chamber was smaller and who knows about the port timing they where a thin ring saws but he said the Jungle version was way stronger right out of the box. He also told me that he tried to order the same cylinder using the part # from the Jungle saw and when they showed up they were the regular 2100 cylinders. So he has only ever saw one true 2100 jungle in his day and the cylinder was diffinately different from a 2100CD.

hmmmm, confusing......

Husqvarna 2100, 1984 there are 2 cylinder kits listed, both the same part# but one referred to as Jungle type. The Jungle version has the thick ring piston and cylinder. This was the same in 1985. When Husqvarna went to the 2101 in 1987 they have again 2 cylinders listed but now have different part # for the Jungle and other. BUT the kicker is now they use the same piston and ring set (Thick). This remained untill the end of the 2101, all be it with the ring land/pin relocation.

I have no Idea what Ed Heard was back in the day, but unless he was a dealer or bought the saw brand new in box from the shop, unmodified, then anything could have happend. It is pretty much impossible to find a 2100/2101 that isnt a hybrid bastard. I would love to find one of these so called smaller CC cylinders and see what is what???? But according to Husqvarna's info the Jungle was the Thick ring piston, but yes maybe some came with a small CC.

Wow, Thats a lot of information! Was there ever an actual ''jungle'' name on any of the 2100s?

Mine is an 85 model. It has the jungle muffler on it. It has the thick ring piston, with the ring end pins on the exhaust side. It has a very beefy looking clutch, don't know if its a ''jungle'' or not, but it looks a lot more heavier than my 395 clutch. Mine also has the SEM ignition.

Edit, Im a slow typer :D

No "Jungle" sticker or stamping AFAIK. In 1985, from Husky yours would have been available with either a rim sprocket or spur type. Is there a part# on the clutch itself? or on the back of the drum? Yours could have either the thin or deeper muffler. Measure the length of your muffler bolts ( 60 or 70mm). Small round aluiminium chain catcher was also introduced around this time. ( it comes off the front big rubber av mount. Your clutch cover could be either non-chainbrake or a chainbrake type with the brake mechanisim and handle removed (common on these old saws, handle and mech. get broken and cant get parts)

No "Jungle" sticker or stamping AFAIK. In 1985, from Husky yours would have been available with either a rim sprocket or spur type. Is there a part# on the clutch itself? or on the back of the drum? Yours could have either the thin or deeper muffler. Measure the length of your muffler bolts ( 60 or 70mm). Small round aluiminium chain catcher was also introduced around this time. ( it comes off the front big rubber av mount. Your clutch cover could be either non-chainbrake or a chainbrake type with the brake mechanisim and handle removed (common on these old saws, handle and mech. get broken and cant get parts)

Mine has a rim sprocket. Ill have to check on the clutch PN. Ill measure the muffler bolts as well. Mine does have the small aluminum round chain catcher. Ill check on the rest. Interesting thread forsure.

How about the carbs? Mine is a Tilly. It has some kind of big brass plug in the side of it.....slotted for a flat head screwdriver. I don't think its ever been out, just by looking at the red stuff it's sealed with. Is it some kind of goverened carb?

This is alot to take in...:dizzy:

No PN on the clutch. Its an Oregon drum so I guess it's been changed at some time? I have the 60mm muffler bolts. I also found the SK symbol on the piston and cylinder. Im learning a lot here.

Mine has a rim sprocket. Ill have to check on the clutch PN. Ill measure the muffler bolts as well. Mine does have the small aluminum round chain catcher. Ill check on the rest. Interesting thread forsure.

How about the carbs? Mine is a Tilly. It has some kind of big brass plug in the side of it.....slotted for a flat head screwdriver. I don't think its ever been out, just by looking at the red stuff it's sealed with. Is it some kind of goverened carb?

Yes all Tillotson, Husqvarna 2100 and 2101 is Tillotson HS 136C. Of coarse there would be minor changes along the way. The brass set screw you refer to is a governor as you say. There is a simple mod to bypass this if you want. I cant quite remeber it right now. search it will be in here. The governor supplies extra fuel at max RPM so it can NOT over rev. It is factory set and cannot be adjusted. It can be bypassed :hmm3grin2orange:

Back