Husqvarna 550xp vs echo cs490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the 501SX looks like it is a step closer than the 490 and 500ES. I have posted about it here a few times already.

What I don't know is if the saw called 500P in the US is the 500ES or the 501SX - or a third variant....

What I have seen from the IPL's is that the only difference between the 500P and 500ES is the lack of limiters on the carb adjustment screws on the 500ES. I have not looked at an IPL for the 501SX to know what the differences are there.

Thank you for that. I do not consider geographical disposition in regards to cost, I guess I should (even though I am not experienced with current international prices or exchange rates.) I am surprised that they would be more expensive (comparatively) elsewhere then in the US... Is the Dolmar/Makita the same mount as a Husky? I think someday I would like to try a bigger Dol/Makita that's ported. I think I may email @MillerModSaws or something to that names effect and see what he can do.

Is your PS7900 ported?

On another note, my first saw was a old (when I got it) craftsman 42cc saw, started using it when I was 8... my dad would give me it and I would have to limb all the pine tree's. It blew up and is still in pieces as its not really worth the $ in parts. :/
No, my 7900 is not ported unfortunately.
Carl, will you agree to port the cylinder only if I send it to you? I can take care of the muffler and advance the timing if needed.

Hello i post it for future buyer , a cs 490 with shindaiwa 502 head . The head fit right there with no modification , it run much better less capricious . I see on a internet site new 502 cylinder fo 141us$

SawTroll please watch this video and them lets talk about applicability of HP #s...

In all seriousness I know you are knowledgeable but I think it just depends what you want at what price point... at the end of the day we all cut wood. (Oh wait, this in AS where most saws sit on shelves til death) :shrug:

I was busy working when you posted this. I knew your MM'd 620p cut faster than your MM'd 555 (with 562xp top end and flash) but I didn't realize it was 36% faster (11 vs. 17 seconds). Says a lot about the 620p. Really good vid and, as usual, unbiased info from you. I'd really like to see an apples to apples comparison between the 620p and the 562xp. I think it would be a lot closer than most think.

A while back I decided to give a cs590 a try. I ran it against my 545 with a muffler mod in 14" bone dry hard ash both brand new chains. I was a little disappointed that it cut noticably slower. The 545 held much higher rpms in the cut, while the echo you could lean on it a bit harder but still didn't cut as fast. I threw out the base gasket and did a muffler mod to the cs590, and it it made a huge difference, it cut about the same as the 545 now but (keep but in mind small wood) now I could put all my body weight on the sucker, talk about torque.... I can only imagine with being broken in a little more, it definately made me open my eyes a little to echo. I am a fan of huskies because I like lightning throttle response for limbing, the echo's just don't seem to have that, I sold the echo eventually, now that should say something. Now in that video, I do have to say the 555 looks to have a rather dull chain. Heres the 562 vs 620...

FWIW this video has been dissected many times and unequal factors make it a less then fair comparison.

FWIW this video has been dissected many times and unequal factors make it a less then fair comparison.
How? The 620 has a smaller bar. So the 562 was at a disadvantage, and even a blind man at night can see the 562 cuts faster in the video.

How? The 620 has a smaller bar. So the 562 was at a disadvantage, and even a blind man at night can see the 562 cuts faster in the video.

Look at the tapering log size and the fact that the echo is brand new and the husky is broken in... I have many videos of the 555XP (upgraded to 560XP specs) 620s and 562... I have owned them all and can saw that in a small bar war they could be close, in a longer bar cut the 620 has a much wider powerband. This has been argued to many times on here... not saying im here to argue, just people seem to dislike facts other then their own thoughts (even thought rarely based on extensive experience.

I can't realy do that because my 490 have a shindaiwa 502 head but it's write in specs the 490 is 2.9hp and the 502 3.0hp (3.7hp for the 550xp) Will try make video tomorow

The crank stuffers make a big difference between the 562 and 555. They increase rpm and torque in cut.

For throttle response... I know, I've owned both...

I would buy a 365xt at the same price as the echo 620p if I needed to put longer than a 24" on a 60cc, 28" bar does not belong on a 60cc saw. That's 70cc-80cc territory IMO.

25cent rebuilt 550xp and 25cent rebuilt 490 with 502 head , no mod same chain-bar-sprocket-gaz oil motul800
It's was -25 degres this morning

550 is 10sec faster for cookies .
If you look at the advantage you can take a coffe brake in cut with the 490
If i ship me some where with only one saw and no acces , i will choose the echo
But for turn around and play choose 550xp

Latest posts

Back