Just got a Husqvarna 346XP...love it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich636

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just relinquished my old reliable Echo CS-400 to my dad and replaced it with the Husky 346XP. I still love that 400 and my 600P but this 346XP is like a CS-400 that shot up with steroids, then snorted a few lines of coke. I have the non-cat version I believe (gray gas cap), with the 16" bar (seemed that Saw Troll was a big fan of the 16 so I went with it). The bummer is I'm running out of space for firewood in the backyard and I really want to take the saw out collecting. Here are a few pics.
img0455e.jpg

img0454zj.jpg

img0457.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking saw! Havent seen too many guys dissappointed with the 346, no doubt it will serve you well. I dont need one, but wouldnt mind adding one to the stable, just cause :).

Congrats on the new saw. I had my 346 out today. I cut about 15 or so Maples and Aspens, They were about about 10 to 15 inches. I fell them to widen a road. The 346 NE cuts well. My 346 is my #1 used saw. I have more to cut. I never had a serious problem with my 346. I only had to richen the low side because my 346 was hard to start. Not now after the adjustment.

Thanks guys. Yeah this model certainly seems to be a pitbull of a saw in power to weight. One thing that did seem unusual is that it slings very little oil from the nose, the oil flow is screwed all the way out. However when I pick the chain up from the bar it's got lube. My Echo 600p is like that too. That's in contrast to my cs-400 that really threw oil at full throttle. If it's lubing enough then I'm happy because l'll save money on oil.

I have the same problem, saws to run,wood to cut, and no where to put it :msp_sad: . I have enough for the next 2 winters in the wood shed.

Very nice saw I love mine. My only difference from yours is mine has been factory converted to run 3/8'' pitch chain. Haven't used mine in a month because the top cover broke

Do you guys know if I can use the Pferd sharpening setup on the H30 NK chain or do I need something special? When I searched I got some confusing info.

Murph I've seen what it can do and it was impressive, I think it's Bsnelling has some youtubes of a MM'd 346xp. I'll probably leave well enough alone though since I'm a weekend warrior.

Do you guys know if I can use the Pferd sharpening setup on the H30 NK chain or do I need something special? When I searched I got some confusing info.

I use the Husqvarna (oregon) file roller, and a ordinary 4,8 mm round file!
Works very well for me, just make sure you got it for the 1,3 (050) gauge chain.
Know that lots of people on AS think the Husqvarna H30 (Oregon VP95) isn´t the fastest setup for the 346xp! But when it´s new sharpened, I think it really works well!

Murph I've seen what it can do and it was impressive, I think it's Bsnelling has some youtubes of a MM'd 346xp. I'll probably leave well enough alone though since I'm a weekend warrior.

It may have been a vid with my saw in it. Yes with a MM and unlimited coil they run very well.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iMRPgHxaVzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks guys. Yeah this model certainly seems to be a pitbull of a saw in power to weight. One thing that did seem unusual is that it slings very little oil from the nose, the oil flow is screwed all the way out. However when I pick the chain up from the bar it's got lube. My Echo 600p is like that too. That's in contrast to my cs-400 that really threw oil at full throttle. If it's lubing enough then I'm happy because l'll save money on oil.

Congrats on your choise! :clap::clap:

Those saws usually put out plenty of oil, are you sure that they oil screw really is at the "max" setting? The markings can be a bit confusing, so look in the manual....

I run a 16" setup also on mine and like it very much. I used it extensively on a larger trimming job this friday and it's really waking up now. Great saw. I also noticed that the oiler should be set minimum at the mid position to have a decent oiling.

I mainly use mine with a 16" (not NK/Pixel), and the mid position provides more than enough oil.

The kind of oil may make a difference - I mostly use Husky Veg-Oil.

You have one of those jigs that does the rakers and the cutters? I think you should be ok because the gauge/spacing of the cutters is the same.

Hi Mike,

Yup that's what I have, but not in 3/16"...so I'll have to order another setup. Baileys says the 3/16" Pferd system will work for Oregon 95VP and just found out it's the same as the Husq H30 so it looks like I'm good to go.

Back