MS460 first impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just joined the Stihl club today. Put a tank through my new 460. My first impressions of the saw were good. I wasn't able to really give it the beans because it's brand new but even with the light cutting I did I was very impressed. The fit and finish on this saw is something to behold. It feels tight and solid. I'm impressed with the power to weight, balance and action.

Things I noticed right off the bat that I'm not a fan of are; first, FLIPPY CAPS. I hate them. Next, the choke/power switch. I much prefer the separate switches on my echo 600p. I love the old school metal toggle on/off switch. I don't like the fact that up is off on the Stihl. On my echo, up is on, down is off. Not a huge fan of the integrated choke, and the fact that it's neatly tucked under the filter cover where it's hard to see. I'm sure I can get used to it but it's definitely a change. I also don't think the AV is as good as the huskies I've handled or my echo for that matter, but it's a big saw and It probably won't see the hours that my echo does.
I cannot believe how small the muffler opening is. It's a single 3/16" hole. That's it! It has the side port muffler, not the front port one with screen on the outside. I'm considering an upgraded muffler if any one has a suggestion... I'm optimistic that a diff muff will really wake it up.

After a few jobs next week that I can bury the bar in, I'll report back with more impressions on this awesome saw.

Cheers

Last edited:
hey boot,
congrats on the new saw..
you are correct about the exhaust opening.........that saw NEEDS a muffler mod...
you can do it yourself..
take the muffler off, remove spark screen, enlarge existing outlet, replace screen, reinstall muffler, retune carb.........done...
you'll have a different saw alltogether..

Congrats on the new saw. Yes the muffler needs to be opened WAY up, it's an easy job. Wait and see how this saw will wake up after the 10th or so tank of gas. Mine literally gets better and better as the tanks go.

No need to baby it for a break in run it wide open (only in wood) so squeeze the throttle and let the chips fly:rock:

Maybe I'll pick up a second muffler to experiment with. Maybe braze in some badass dual ports...

I think the majority will agree, when you buy a new saw go run it like you would if it had 100 tanks through it. Break in on a chainsaw is an urban legend. They WILL run better for their life if they're broke in for work, not for play. Trust me.

Mod the muffler definetly. Open the stock outlet as big as you can get it under the deflector. You can reach it with a dremel tool pretty easy. You may have to gently bend the deflector up , then bend it back down after you get it opened up. You can also add a dual port or buy a dual port cover for it. Either way will work good, I just like the look and sound of the DP cover. The added torque and throttle response is immediatly noticeable.

congratulations!!

460's :rock::rock:

Seems that I modded the muff on mine after 1 tank. Rich the H just a smirch. Wakes it right up. Crank the oiler all the way up.
Yes, the feel is different with the rubber instead of springs. some would say more "precise".

Run it full throttle in a cut and you are fine. avoid unloaded high rpm. :alien2:

I would definitely say it has a different feel. I think I'm partial to coil sprung anti-vibe. Either way I'm pleased with the purchase. Will the DP cover fit on the muffler body I have now? Or do I need to buy the whole thing? I may just get a new regular front cover and braze in dual pipes right out the front. BA.
I'm all for improving the sound.

The dual port cover will fit on your muffler. Just bolt it on, instany muff mod. I still like to open up the dp some too. Still like to open the stock outlet all I can too. I just like the clean look of a dual port cover. Not down with the big pipes sticking out but thats JMO. If theyre done right they look pretty cool.

I'm also interested in a set of spikes for it. This saw will primarily be used for bucking big wood (<24"). Can anyone give me a part number for the modest sized dawgs? I don't want the giant ones from prosafety or the giant stihl ones found on the 660. Just the medium sized ones.

I'm gonna get a muff front cover and get creative with dual porting. I'll braze on some pretty deflectors or something. I'll create a unique look. Pics will naturally follow.

Does anyone have a picture of the pro safety 4 point dawgs? They look smaller than the ridiculous 5 pointers..,

congrats on the new saw!after the dp muff mod retune ,mine really woke up after 5 tanks ran through it,i don't know exactly how much power it adds but you can definitely feel it and time it,plus it sounds better:msp_thumbup:

Large dogs are primarily used as a pivot point when fallin' trees with thick bark. If you're only buckin' 24" stuff... the stock dog will be just fine.

Gary

Most of what I cut is cottonwood with gnarly furrowed bark and believe me, those stock spikes are slightly inadequate. Plus I like the balance of having an outside spike. It doesn't feel like you're twisting the saw.

A little off topic but I just picked up a new Echo 600P today now I need to run it .

You will like it. Mine will forever be my 60cc go-to saw. Pull the lower deflector and spark screen and give it a little more fuel on the high end. I can start mine cold in one pull, no joke. I particularly like its simple, easy to work on design. It's just uncomplicated.

43acf8e6-bc34-7829.jpg

43acf8e6-bc49-dc7d.jpg

Last edited:
You will like it. Mine will forever be my 60cc go-to saw. Pull the lower deflector and spark screen and give it a little more fuel on the high end. I can start mine cold in one pull, no joke. I particularly like its simple, easy to work on design. It's just uncomplicated.

43acf8e6-bc34-7829.jpg

43acf8e6-bc49-dc7d.jpg
Are these saws actually made in Japan ? is yours easy to start hot ? I used mine to cut up some stumps and it was ripping through them :rock: my 1999 Stihl 044 will still be my bug out saw for the apocalypse though until the Echo proves itself .

Back