MS460 first impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The echo's are assembled in America with a combination of Japanese and American made parts. The machines that make the parts for this particular saw are Japanese. My 600p starts with about a 6" pull when hot. I barely have to pull at all.

Back on topic. Going out to dice up some big cottonwood :msp_rock: with the 460

So I felled and partially bucked a 40" spruce today. It was covered in nubs from all the branches. All the knots were bumped off but each branch had created its own little mound. I love the power of the saw but the whimpy spikes that come stock on the saw are rubbish and completely worthless. Trying to fell a tree with a giant flaring base with no spikes was a little annoying but I was able to put the top just a few feet form my target.

So what did I do about it? I came home and ordered spikes! He'll yeah! It's all coming together.

The good news was, while I was up in the tree my ground guy got a couple referrals from passers by who inquired about trees of their own. Sweet.

I have the MS460R Wrap and I couldn't be happier. Only put about 3 tanks through it so far and haven't gotten into anything big enough for it to really show it's true colors- but It has pretty much ripped through anything I've given it. Got a 25" and 36"light bars for it.

Adam

I run skip square filed chain on my other saw and it cuts waaayyyy faster than 30" of full comp chisel. I need to find skip in .058 and file it square, then we'll be cookin with gas!

I'm a big husky Fan, But I've got nothin but respect for the 460/441

I also got a chance to run my first 460 this last year when my woodcutting partner (a Stihl-head) picked one up brand new and let me run it for about 1/2 a tank.
I Loved the feel of the saw, but you can tell that it's got a choked-up stock muff. Inevitably at the end of the day he wanted to do a side by side race..(Damn Testosterone).
I figured what the heck let's go for it.
We both had new Stihl RSC full comp chisel, both running 28"bars. So we agreed that the circumstances for both saws being equal was as close as it was ever going to be.

I tell ya.... It pissed him off when my 12 year old dual port 372 beat his brand new baby by a sec or two in 24" Lodgepole pine consistently (6 cuts back to back). He thought he'd take me for sure as his had the larger of the two powerheads. I told him that if he put a dual port muffler on that 460 he'd likely beat me, but he is afraid that it would possibly shorten it's life span? I tried to convince him, and to not just take my word for it but read some of the threads on AS concerning the issue.
From what I've read I think the oppisite is more likely, as it seems to me to help them run cooler if anything, but to each his own.

So I felled and partially bucked a 40" spruce today. It was covered in nubs from all the branches. All the knots were bumped off but each branch had created its own little mound. I love the power of the saw but the whimpy spikes that come stock on the saw are rubbish and completely worthless. Trying to fell a tree with a giant flaring base with no spikes was a little annoying but I was able to put the top just a few feet form my target.

So what did I do about it? I came home and ordered spikes! He'll yeah! It's all coming together.

The good news was, while I was up in the tree my ground guy got a couple referrals from passers by who inquired about trees of their own. Sweet.
Alot of those people think the ridiculous looking dogs are for lloks, they aren't as you now see they serve a real purpose:rock: Soom guy's think they look cool or whatever that's cool too. But I am all about what works in the real world. The -046-460 Are real workhorses, rugged and reliable about as bulletproof as they come. Very capable saw, yep proper carb re-tune, and muffler modifications, nowadays are mandatory.

Spikes!
43acf8e6-36be-d87b.jpg

Another thing about this saw: is it normal to have to clean the filter after only 3 tanks? These were non-dusty cutting conditions with a sharp chain so only big chips. I pulled my filter cover and my filter was packed! Seriously? Stihl needs a pre filtration system like echo or husky. I'm toying with the idea of plugging the factory holes in the cover below the filter and punching holes around the sides and top of the cover and lining them with a fine mesh.

Are there options for better filtration from aftermarket sources? Im still mulling over a muff mod in my head.

On a side note, can you braze with MAP gas?

Spikes!
43acf8e6-36be-d87b.jpg

Another thing about this saw: is it normal to have to clean the filter after only 3 tanks? These were non-dusty cutting conditions with a sharp chain so only big chips. I pulled my filter cover and my filter was packed! Seriously? Stihl needs a pre filtration system like echo or husky. I'm toying with the idea of plugging the factory holes in the cover below the filter and punching holes around the sides and top of the cover and lining them with a fine mesh.

Are there options for better filtration from aftermarket sources? Im still mulling over a muff mod in my head.

On a side note, can you braze with MAP gas?

YES wellcome too the stihl family thats one of the reasons the last saw i bought was a 390XP this pic is after three tanks in dry wood
attachment.php

cheers

bootboy, if your 460 did not come with the hd-2 filter, the black one then you need to get one. Best Stihl filter they make now, thanks to Our Aussie friends. I have noticed even on older husky non air injected saws, because the filter sits on the top, it seems to stay cleaner longer than my Stihl's. The way Stihl sit's seems to draw more chips, though more filter maintenenece still great saws.

I have the hd2 filter but its easy enough to clean. I'll just have to remember to keep up on it. It's not that big of a deal.

Does anyone have experience with the K&N filter for the 460?

Made an exhaust deflector for it today. Debating whether or not this the route I want to go for the muffler. If so, which position? Your thoughts...
a6cd8e73-eac0-9db2.jpg

a6cd8e73-eadf-3af6.jpg

Drilled more holes. I knocked the rakers down and it helps but I don't think I'll realize this saws potential until I finish the muff mod and get a skip square filed chain.
43acf8e6-8f79-eb56.jpg

43acf8e6-8f9f-4956.jpg

We are lucky down under as your DP muffler, HD2 filter and larger double felling dowgs are standard on MS460 Magnums our way. The down side is we pay a good deal more for it over the counter than you do. A great all day saw either way.

I like the deflector on the side instead of the front of the cover. One big hole is better than alot f small holes. If you have a dremel tool you can cut a muffler up pretty good with it. If you install that deflector, cut a hole at least an inch round under it. I would fill in the to forward holes you have drilled and then open the two under your stock deflector up as big as you can get . Should be able to get it to around an inch or so round.

Thats just the way I'd do it. You can go at it however you want. It's all good.

Did you cut the front off your baffle? If not then I'd do that asap. Some people drill holes in it but I think cutting the front off it works better and flows better.

Oh yea, my reasoning for putting the deflector on the side is that you'll may crush it up while bucking or felling. It's not likely with the big dawgs but it could happen. It'll blow dust in your face too. Forward facing exhaust is best IMO.

So at what point do you reach diminishing returns? If you gut it out too badly you'll lose back pressure and I'd imagine that could give you problems. I'm all for flow, but you need a little resonance in the muffler to keep the saw running, right? I'm trying to keep the physics of these things in mind while maximizing gains.

I like the side port idea as well, more out of the way.

Two 1 inch holes and no baffle is about all I want to do. I have a dual port that I opened up to around an inch. I also opened up my stock outlet up to about an inch. It really woke it up. It's a 660.

They say between 85%-125% of your exhaust exit from the cylinder. I do believe too much is a bad thing. If you have two holes that are about 3/4" or so then you'll be about right on a 460.

Thanks for the info. My guess from looking at the exhaust port is that the surface area is about 1.25x0.85" or close to it.

I'd say your about right. Just go by your instinct bro. But I would definetly cut the face off that baffle. Thats the best thing you can do IMO. The holes you have now will probably be fine if you add that deflector and cut another 3/4" hole.

Bedtime for me. Gotta roll some hay in the A.M. Good luck with tha big saw. :rock:

Back