Longwood Duel Fuel Furnace Mark VII Manual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait......I'm not done.

Testing and marking a percentage is a joke on furnace or a stove.

ok......lets all get the same double wall insulated high temp flue and lets all burn at the same elevation with the same moisture content in the air.
Next lets all get the same sized home with the same amount of insulation and construct the same ducting.
Next lets get the same wood and the same dryness level. Then we will set our stats to the same temp and load them at the same frequencies.

Lastly lets all have the same air temp outside so we all have the same call for heat.

You are going to have numbers that are all over the board so do not kid yourself about how effcient your stove or furnace actually is compared to the bill of good sold to you by some stove company.

There's only so much heat available to you from biomass which is all of the same. Corn,pellets,logs,hay,acorns,coal.
A pound is a pound.And a pound at 20% moisture makes 8000 btu's...period.

The best you can buy in a heater that burns biomass is a bunch of thick dense brick.3200 degree rated are very dense.In the case of an OWB the water is the thermal mass bank.
You want a bunch of heat exchange surface area.
Cycling burn rates help give the unit time to exchange those heats made.
A draft regulator will slow down draft speeds.Any stack temp hotter than 400 is a waiste.
Last a reburn or after burn to make those extra btus .

Should you get a unit that does these things you will have a clean burner and it will give you great heat.

Last edited:
Longwood furnace

I've just bought one similar to yours. I'm getting ready to hook it up.I would appreciate it if you could please forward the pdf on the owners manual that the lady was kind enough to send you.
Thanks,
Gerry

OK guys, here goes. I've got one of those Longwoods identical to Iowa's. Paid $ 250.00 for it, it had been used for 3 months then sat in a barn for 30 years. Mine had a fuel oil burner rather than propane. I never even hooked up the burner. I moved the blower to the back of the cabinet for space reasons, hooked up the heat reclaimer which has it's own thermocouple. It's piped out the shop wall & up 24' feet because of the high roof peak. This building has 0 insulation, but does have a ceiling & T 11 walls, & 3 insulated overhead doors. The comment I get from customers is " wow it's nice & warm in here ". I have 1600 sq feet & 14' high ceilings. It will heat 3000sq ft assuming you have something that resembles insulation, it will hook into your ductwork, & it will burn only wood. It will make a lot of heat, & hold a fire/coals all night. The coldest days of the winter i.e. high temps in the low teens we could work in t shirts all day. Coldest it ever got in here overnight was 50*. I can also keep the 800ft "house" portion of the building comfortable during the day by leaving the door open. At night we run a small propane wall unit in the house. If you haven't already figured it out, it's a 40 X 60 pole building with an apartment built into the back 1/3. As far as the 4' long logs I don't know if they work any better, but it's easier to get the stove full if you don't mind cutting twigs. I'm not man enough to split 4' long oak rounds. I cut my wood 20" & load it back & then front for over night, & just burn up toward the door when I'm around during the day to load it.
The thing does go through more wood the a Yukon or other hi eff. unit, I would agree with the comment about it using similar to an owb. I wouldn't burn green wood due the creosote factor, but I get little or no smoke with seasoned wood. Hope this helps. A C

Longwood Mark IV Manual courtesy request....

My longwood will work just fine. I have a manual for it and will install it correctly and make sure all the settings are correct!

Iowa, I have recently purchased a country home with a Longwood Mark VII servicing it. I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me the PDF manual you were graciously provided so I can understand the principles of operation and learn how to use it properly. Thanks a load....

Hillbilly Cuz
[email protected]

Last edited:
Hill Billy and Iowa, I know you have probably been using your Longwood for awhile as this thread was started awhile ago, but my father-in-law has a Longwood in his house. Seems to work very good and he has never used propane with it. He doesn't even turn the blower on to circulate heat. He has his located in the center of his house down in the basement. The heat naturally rises through his ducts heating the upstairs keeping the house plenty warm. Also, he never uses wood over two foot in length. I'm sure he would get better burn time if he did, but his house stays plenty warm using the foot and a half to two foot logs.

Hope this helps a little

Longwood Mark IV Manual courtesy request....

Thank you derwoo126 for your response. I have not been long in our newly purchased home that has the Longwood Mark VII. The prior owner used only propane, never wood. I was hoping to obtain a users manual to assist me in utilizing both fuels most efficiently. Still waiting for Iowa to reply, as he has obtained a manual in PDF format. Hoping to get a copy of it from him.

Hillbilly Cuz

I really like my longwood.. I fill it twice a day. Morning and evening. Keeps my house 73-74 all winter. Warmer if I wanted it! LOL.. Burning shagbark hickory right now and I have to say. WOW. Wish every tree I cut was a hickory. I love it!

Thank you derwoo126 for your response. I have not been long in our newly purchased home that has the Longwood Mark VII. The prior owner used only propane, never wood. I was hoping to obtain a users manual to assist me in utilizing both fuels most efficiently. Still waiting for Iowa to reply, as he has obtained a manual in PDF format. Hoping to get a copy of it from him.

Hillbilly Cuz

On it's way Hillbilly Cuz. I just dropped in here today. It's been a few weeks since I've been on the arborist site. I'm glad I did, cuz I saw that this old thread had surfaced..

Thanks so much, iowa, for the manual. I will be digesting it shortly and applying what I learn to my Longwood Mark VII. I will endeavour to keep in touch when in your area. Thanks again.

Hillbilly Cuz

Longwood Mark ViI User manual

hjleyden, sure...it's too large to attach here, so you can send me your email address, and I can send it that route.

Hillbilly Cuz

Longwood Duel Fuel Furnace Mark VII Manual-emailed

hjlenden,
The email is on its way....along with other material which you may already have. Good luck with your installation.

Hillbilly Cuz

wood oil boiler

i have been using a northland combo unit for 38 years.my father put it in during the 70,s.i have been using it for 30 years. this thing is very well built.not one problem.there were a few years that i did not burn wood.5 to6 cords per year and all the hot water you want.if there was a unit like this now i would think many would buy them.k

Need the manual too!

Looks like I am not the only one in need of that Longwood Mark VII manual. Dad and I are having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to hook this thing up correctly! :dizzy: Please help!!

Thanks so very much,
David
[email protected]

P.S. I wouldn't mind uploading the manual on my server so everyone can just click and download it from now on. Just let me know?

Last edited:
Hey, I still have not been able to get my hands on a manual. If and when I do I will post it here. If anyone has one please email me.

thanks,
David

Longwood Mark VII Manual......

Spoonhonda,
The materials I have on the Longwood Mark VII (PDF or zipped) are too large to attach to this forum. If I can get your email address, I will email what I have to you. Mine is:
[email protected]

Hillbilly Cuz

Back