Looking at a used FS130 power head, what should I offer for it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingOffGridNWO

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a trimmer/brusher for next spring/summer to clear my vacant land. From the reading I've done here I'm thinking the fs130 is the way to go. I'm ok with fixing up a used one, and see a used power head online for sale. The owner says "it seems to have good compression" but hasn't run it or tested it, so this claim may be totally false. He's asking $100 plus $45 shipping (ouch, that seems high for shipping). I'm thinking it's more like $50+$45, considering he can't tell me anything about it other than having pictures of it. What kind of dollars am I looking at sinking into this thing, assuming the cylinder and piston/rings are good? I'm sure like most things these days, people just don't take the time, or care enough to try and fix things, and it could be a simple fix to get this thing going, so in my mind it's worth the gamble. It worked out for me once with the MS261 I bought online, but in that case I at least had the benefit of a compression test and a video of the saw running.

Let me know what you guys think, is this trimmer/brusher head worth the gamble?

I paid $200 for a used KM-130 + the trimmer attachment in hand running. When you saw power head are you talking about just the KM or is it a FS-130 less shaft? Cause buying that shaft and gearbox is going to eat most of your savings over new. Stihls parts are expensive. I, personally, would not buy a 4-mix sight unseen. Too much to go wrong. Btw, you can't truly compression test them, they have a decompression built into the cam.

I paid $200 for a used KM-130 + the trimmer attachment in hand running. When you saw power head are you talking about just the KM or is it a FS-130 less shaft? Cause buying that shaft and gearbox is going to eat most of your savings over new. Stihls parts are expensive. I, personally, would not buy a 4-mix sight unseen. Too much to go wrong. Btw, you can't truly compression test them, they have a decompression built into the cam.
It's just the power head from a fs130, no shaft at all. So should I lowball the guy and offer him 50 for it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

IDK, If you feel like it. If you do make an offer on it, pm Alexcagle and ask him if he has any of the parts you need. I believe he works on engines for a living and may have some of the parts lying around. Definitive Dave would also be a good source.

IDK, If you feel like it. If you do make an offer on it, pm Alexcagle and ask him if he has any of the parts you need. I believe he works on engines for a living and may have some of the parts lying around. Definitive Dave would also be a good source.
Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty handy with engines, I wrench all my vehicles, so complexity doesn't scare me, but finding cheap/good parts is always a bonus. I guess in the worst case I would have parts I could resell on ebay...lol.

I don't have any experience with car engines lol. You will be fine.
The valves seem to be the weak point on 4-mix. Especially on the early engines. Just pressure and vac test the engine when you get it and adjust the valves

I don't have any experience with car engines lol. You will be fine.
The valves seem to be the weak point on 4-mix. Especially on the early engines. Just pressure and vac test the engine when you get it and adjust the valves
For ***** and giggles I started pricing out all the parts I would need to make that trimmer head into a full blown trimmer, and decided, like you said that it's not even worth just buying that head for $50+$45 shipping. I would still have to spend a couple hundred getting all the other parts I would need. I can get a complete used one on ebay for around $300 USD that runs, so in this case I think I'm gonna not look for a project and buy something that is fully functional.

My advice is pretty simple.
Unless you can go and personally test the brushcutter, don't buy it. Just look at the chainsaw forum to see the surprises that may pop up.

Stihl 4-Mix are possibly the worst engines to buy used because they need to be well maintained to be reliable and fixing them when they break down is expensive. If you are itching for a four stroke, I would advise buying a Honda. They may not have nuclear power but are blunt-instrument reliable, the only true weak point of those UMK brushcutters is the recoil starter, which is surprisingly cheap to buy OE.
Otherwise keep an eye on whatever is available locally: Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax/Zenoah, Stihl two strokes... no need to needlessly complicate your life.

My advice is pretty simple.
Unless you can go and personally test the brushcutter, don't buy it. Just look at the chainsaw forum to see the surprises that may pop up.

Stihl 4-Mix are possibly the worst engines to buy used because they need to be well maintained to be reliable and fixing them when they break down is expensive. If you are itching for a four stroke, I would advise buying a Honda. They may not have nuclear power but are blunt-instrument reliable, the only true weak point of those UMK brushcutters is the recoil starter, which is surprisingly cheap to buy OE.
Otherwise keep an eye on whatever is available locally: Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax/Zenoah, Stihl two strokes... no need to needlessly complicate your life.
Sound advice. I didn't realise the fs130 was a 4-stroke and more complicated than a typical 2-stroke. I'll probably end up buying a new one because in all honesty it's not much more for a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Watch it with subtitles on.

Thanks for the vid, demystifies the engine for me. Might just low ball the guy and see if he bites. I have a few months before I will need to use this thing, so could accumulate the other parts for it. I would need a shaft and a string head I guess, might be able to find that stuff used too.

I looked it up, you still don't get the control end of the handle and it hasn't been made aftermarket, yet. That is a problem. No stop/start or throttle control.

I was gonna say, if you low-ball him, he may decide he doesn't want to do business with you.

Fs131? That is for the new engines, Stihl has updated the design to the fs131. Idk if it will fit.
I actually asked the ebay guy selling them and he seems to think they will fit based on how many he's selling because they updated the engine design and maybe left the drivetrain alone? Not sure. I keep waffling about this powerhead anyway. Guy can't test it or wont test it, selling it as non working and by the time I add one of these shafts for $100 plus the powerhead, I'm well on my way to a working unit with a shaft etc or even a new one...lol.

I looked it up, you still don't get the control end of the handle and it hasn't been made aftermarket, yet. That is a problem. No stop/start or throttle control.

I was gonna say, if you low-ball him, he may decide he doesn't want to do business with you.
True, I thought of that as well, I know what I would say to someone that offered me half of what I was asking. I just don't see it being $100 + $45 shipping. For example there is a used fs130R on ebay for $280 complete and working, why wouldn't I just buy that instead and not have to **** around fixing a motor that might not run and need $100 in parts anyway? Sounds like I've talked myself out of it.

My Stihl dealership has about 40 shaft assemblies in their "spare parts" bin. Some are Stihl and others Bluebird, Maori, Maruyama etc. Those things are a dime a dozen, and they are the good quality stuff.

Even here $280 will get you a big choice of used brushcutters, from Honda to Shindaiwa, and still have something left. As usual I advise seeing before buying: the last Shindaiwa I bought lacked all the parts needed to fit a blade, which are brand-specific and quite pricey. Run very well though, so it was not a deal breaker but worth some $$$ off.

Back