Reconditioned Chainsaws? What's The Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnOG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the market for a chainsaw needed to cut down logs to length for a fire pit I recently built in my backyard. I don't want a Home Depot special because it will probably also get used at some point for storm damaged trees considering the crazy weather in the Northeast over the last couple of years. I have my eye on a Husqvarna 450 and have noticed many "factory reconditioned" saws on the web, primarily on ebay. They claim to be in as good if not better than new. Why would a saw have to be reconditioned in the first place? How are they winding up back at the factory? They tend to be anywhere from fifty to a hundred bucks cheaper. Again, the saw would mainly be used a couple of times a year in my backyard. Just buy new??? Thanks!

The new 450's are actually a great saw for the price, I have a brand new non-referb one I am interested in selling if you want. The 450's are a nice simple design with a fully adjustable carb. Once broken in most would be very surprised at the power they produce and their durability. They are holding up much better than the 440's. I would not hesitate to purchase a 450 for your task at hand.

As it looks to me, it really is about saws that have been returned for whatever reason after sales at warehouses (not dealers), and only have obvious defects fixed (if any - usually there wasn't any, except "buyer remorse", often = buyer has done what he wanted to do, and "rented" a saw for free).:dancing:

Northern Tool I think sells some reconditioned Huskys as well. I think you have to buy one hoping that everything that needed reconditioning was reconditioned.

I've bought a few factory refurb saws (Husqy 455r, PP4218) from VMInnovations dot com, with no problems at all. The 455 cost $325 delivered. I ran it pretty hard for 3 yrs., then a bud snapped it up when I offered it to him for $200. The PP4218 was actually brand new and had never had fuel or oil in its tanks. Not a bad buy for $94. Good backup limber.

Same company sells new also. Some of their refurbs come with new bar & chain. Just don't fall for the current "homelites."

My Echo was bought off ebay from a pawn shop and etched "Recon" with a couple 3 digit codes on the air filter cover. It looked brand new and runs great. Piston and cylinder looked pristine.

Like anything that isn't new it's a bit of a crapshoot. But even new saws can be lemons which is why they come with warranties that may or may not cover the repare or replacement.

My Echo was bought off ebay from a pawn shop and etched "Recon" with a couple 3 digit codes on the air filter cover. It looked brand new and runs great. Piston and cylinder looked pristine.

Like anything that isn't new it's a bit of a crapshoot. But even new saws can be lemons which is why they come with warranties that may or may not cover the repare or replacement.
That's one of those secret reconnaissance saws.

Beware of re-conditioned or re-furbished. You won't end up saving that much money in the long run.

Buy new and rest assured, you're not buying someone else's problems.
So tonight I couldn't sleep and having several chains to file and two carbs needing cleaning and possibly a filter and gas line to replace I needed to chill. Looking at chainsaws seems fun so I googled, refurbished chainsaws. The shock is most of what I found was, 1st. Prices so close to new prices the savings by far is not a bargain because I shop around, and 2nd. Mostly the brands were Husqvarna and tons of Poulans. I fully agree that finding a good deal on refurbished is very difficult. I considered a Echo 352, or 490. The 490 is over priced, the 352 may be a good deal if you get lucky but of course it's no longer available.
My 20+ year old Sthil 026 still screams so I won't be replacing it anytime soon guess I'll head to bed. For 50 - 100 bucks more I think new Is the best idea.
Also, before you buy check Amazon and some of the other vendors and make sure you get a full factory warranty on new saws. I read a review on Amazon and the guy said Echo will not warranty his Echo purchased off Amazon. Pay new, get a full warranty, that's my thinking. Now when the Echo 490 goes on sale for 299 + or - some I'll pick one up. Run it beside my 026 Sthil. See what happens.

Husky 450 is a Home Depot special.... The reason why you are seeing a lot of reconditioned saws is because people will buy them and return after they have used them for one job and claim something is "wrong" with the saw.
A good # of these saws are as said returned as faulty when they have done the required job/s or been straight gassed so they get reconned & resold

Back