Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple 120Si's and a 109

attachment.php

143 I suppose

:)

I was trying to stay away from Dolmars, seeing how we have Huskys, Stihls, Macs, Homeys, Pioneers, Poulans, haha and a few more.
I feel the need to find some Dolmars now.

143 I suppose

:)

I was trying to stay away from Dolmars, seeing how we have Huskys, Stihls, Macs, Homeys, Pioneers, Poulans, haha and a few more.
I feel the need to find some Dolmars now.

Dang. Your right!

I tried to rep ya, but I'll have to hit ya next time.

And. Just looking through our local for sale site and a beautiful 143 just came up for sale, I'm talking looks like new!!! Asking $450 for it, but I don't have the funds right now for it!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Im a fast learner

A good friend has 2 133 projects, I think the case may be busted. They look great too. I may have ran one of them before, but hard to remember these days

:cheers:
Hi Scott!

On the pic, above this post, of the 119 starter side, the 2nd bolt up from the oil cap.

Would that be the same size bolt as the 120si & can someone tell me the size?

I'm looking at a IPL for the 120si & can't seem to locate that bolt.

I found the exhaust port/muffer size:

Muffler bolt-#52-- 905 106 558-- GE 2 2
Fillister head screw M6x55

I'd like to round up both before I take a road trip to inspect/pick-up the saw.

Figure I'll bring a new spark plug & haven't run across a compression reading yet.

What would be considered good compression on this model, 125-150psi?

Thanks guys.
---------
Also, according to my calculations when I pull the muffler & measure from the cylinder wall to the edge of the piston ring I should be right on 2" coz the 49mm piston oughta be 1 59.5/64" w/o adding the compressed ring width.

That is correct is it not?

Seeing how this is a mix n match parts saw I want to make sure it isn't a 116si.

The cylinder wall to the edge of the compressed piston ring should measure right at

1 15/16" for a 120si and if it's less than 1 7/8" it's a 116, evah so roughly.

The guy sez "THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 030/064325", yet another informs me that the sequence is a casting/parts number.

The metal ID tag is on the saw & I can read Sachs-Dolmar.

Shouldn't the serial number be located on that rectangle tag?

Last edited:
Sachs Dolmars in New Zealand.

I have a few, here. 153, two off, green and orange, 105, a couple of 116si and a 120si, PS-9000, 118super, several 122's, a mint 144 that owes me nothing & just bought a CC & even 'saw/sore' a 166, went for $450.00NZ. Divide by 30% = USD's... Oh well we're such a tiny country (i.e. the ass end of nowhere), gotta have some bragging rights???
Anyhow, have just sorted out an alternative igntion for the 153. I used a new old stock SEM coil (internal type) with the alloy type flywheel that for a standard Dolmar 120/120super. Not the one off a 120si(external type coil). Can't use the fly wheel of a 133/143 has the cooling fan cast as part of the flywheel, but I believe the coil/pick up is the same. I removed the 2 starter pawl studs, they are loctited in...
Fitted the coil/pick up in normal spot, just bolts in, no fiddling. You need to lengthen the earth wire approx 2 inches/50mm.
Coil lead is OK for length. Put everything back together. Flick the switch pull out the choke and it should run...very well actuall
it roars!! Starts & runs fine. May even rev out a little higher too. Now to find some trees...
As you probably know, some of the Huskie coils/ignitors are similar. Have fitted one of these also to my 153, it works fine. Need to lengthen the earth lead 50mm and transfer the timing mark from the Dolmar coil base to the one from the Huskie coil as the timing reference mark is approx 180 degress out. Should check the timing though as it has provision for adjustment. A motorcycle type timing light is the go, the one that is battery powered and has only the clip for sparkplug wire.

Hopefully there will some more Dolmars taken out of retirement...:
:cheers:Peter
r

On the pic, above this post, of the 119 starter side, the 2nd bolt up from the oil cap.

Would that be the same size bolt as the 120si & can someone tell me the size?

I'm looking at a IPL for the 120si & can't seem to locate that bolt.

I found the exhaust port/muffer size:

Muffler bolt-#52-- 905 106 558-- GE 2 2
Fillister head screw M6x55

I'd like to round up both before I take a road trip to inspect/pick-up the saw.

Figure I'll bring a new spark plug & haven't run across a compression reading yet.

What would be considered good compression on this model, 125-150psi?

Thanks guys.
---------
Also, according to my calculations when I pull the muffler & measure from the cylinder wall to the edge of the piston ring I should be right on 2" coz the 49mm piston oughta be 1 59.5/64" w/o adding the compressed ring width.

That is correct is it not?

Seeing how this is a mix n match parts saw I want to make sure it isn't a 116si.

The 116i and 120i mufflers etc are all the same. The difference the is obviously noticable ONLY when you put them side by side is the actual cylinder/barrel & fins arrangement, otherwise they look identical. There shouild be a I.D tag below the clutch, the later ones have a 2 digit number for the year of manufacture. Later the better in my view. (has torx head bolts/screws)
The 120si has a chrome plated bore/barrel made by MAHLE, the 116i has Niksal bore/barrel. The 120si has 'MAHLE' cast on the outside at the square base of the barrel(should be able to see it) I think on the chain side. The
116si's that I have, don't have manufacturer cast ID's that I could identify. Either one are very good,
Looking at both barrels, I'd go far as to say the porting on the 116si is a bit wilder but the 120si has a lotta torque and revs.
Make sure the saw has got a choke lever that rotates 180 degress. If it pulls out or has a primer bulb, it is not an "si". :cheers:Peter

:jawdrop:Damn:jawdrop:.....now I have to look for a few dolmars saws now. I love the look of them. I only like the older styled saws, the new ones just aren't my thing.

Steve

Here's a few particular dolmars in my collection, which one doesn't see too often :

CK4 two man saw (150cc), that supposedly also could be used as a one man saw. The top handle is a bit bent, but it's a sweet runner.

CK4asmall.jpg

I have two of these : a dolmar CX taifun...quite heavy

cxasmall.jpg

this is a pneumatic saw, called PD. It was used in a coal mine to cut building posts.

pda.jpg

same era, the electrical DD. It's chain rides inside the bar groove.

dolmarDDasmall.jpg

My latest dolmar addition, a CF geardrive

CFasmall.jpg

my trusted dolmar CL military version, a very tough built 2 man saw.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Here's a few particular dolmars in my collection, which one doesn't see too often :

CK4 two man saw (150cc), that supposedly also could be used as a one man saw. The top handle is a bit bent, but it's a sweet runner.

CK4asmall.jpg

I have two of these : a dolmar CX taifun...quite heavy

cxasmall.jpg

this is a pneumatic saw, called PD. It was used in a coal mine to cut building posts.

pda.jpg

same era, the electrical DD. It's chain rides inside the bar groove.

dolmarDDasmall.jpg

My latest dolmar addition, a CF geardrive

CFasmall.jpg

my trusted dolmar CL military version, a very tough built 2 man saw.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now he is bringing out the heavy artillary, LOL.
Thanks Roland, for putting up these picts on this thread, it shows others where the SD saws came from. Few people know that the Dolmars were argueably the worlds first portable chainsaws. The story of Emmil Learp, must check the spelling of his name, is not as well known as that of Andraes Stihl.
Pioneerguy600

Now he is bringing out the heavy artillary, LOL.
Thanks Roland, for putting up these picts on this thread, it shows others where the SD saws came from. Few people know that the Dolmars were argueably the worlds first portable chainsaws. The story of Emmil Learp, must check the spelling of his name, is not as well known as that of Andraes Stihl.
Pioneerguy600

You're welcome Jerry, you asked so I had no choice. Before the war, Dolmar was Stihls biggest competitor and their saws were top notch. My opinion is that Stihl just was a better salesman than their competitors from Hamburg.

Old loggers over here hold on to their ancient dolmars as if they were their children, after all, they were very dependable saws.

Back