Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here she is. Too us 10 minutes to get it down the steps and into the basement. Basement steps are so steep that I lost my grip on the dolly and then safe road the dolly sled the last three steps. My buddy on the bottom is half gorrila and kept it up right as it went down. Only picked up one little scratch. Thankfully no one got hurt and I only blew out the crotch of my jeans. Those basement steps are the worst, steep and narrow.

26a6b516dd11ad18eb0826523fbb8bff.jpg

Well here she is. Too us 10 minutes to get it down the steps and into the basement. Basement steps are so steep that I lost my grip on the dolly and then safe road the dolly sled the last three steps. My buddy on the bottom is half gorrila and kept it up right as it went down. Only picked up one little scratch. Thankfully no one got hurt and I only blew out the crotch of my jeans. Those basement steps are the worst, steep and narrow.

26a6b516dd11ad18eb0826523fbb8bff.jpg
when you said you about lost it i thought of this haha

Here is my Sunday scrounge:

2015-04-26 13.32.37 Resize.jpg 2015-04-26 15.13.37 Resize.jpg 2015-04-26 16.07.32 Resize.jpg

I made my notch lower than I wanted to, leaving quite a stump shot, in order to avoid barbed wire in the tree. This half had a bit of lean, but after making my notch and boring the back-cut, I had to wedge it to make it fall, so there wasn't as much lean as I thought. The remaining trunk is pretty straight up and down, so hopefully I can apply my learning from yesterday next weekend, and make a better cut.

No helpers for the cutting and splitting, but they did help me stack!

All tick gorge themselves on blood. When you pet the dog & feel a lump, it is time for the tweezers!

No I was asking if only dog ticks have expandable bodies that swell up with blood. I can only remember seeing dog ticks with massive bodies filled with blood. Nasty little bastards

Yes it has the secondary tubes. Looks like the burners on gas grill when they get going. Obviously it pays to buy a quality stove instead of a box store special. With a stove it's not just the design but the quality of the materials and workmanship. But also, like a chainsaw or anything else, if you take care of it and use it the way it's supposed to be used, it will last a long time. I've never over fired the thing and had it going cherry red. But it gets better, and people don't quite believe this: I've never cleaned the chimney since I've owned it. Of course I check it every year with a mirror and it's always clean and clear. The most I ever get out of the clean out is about a half gallon sized amount of creosote at the end of the summer before I fire up for the coming season. Part of that is I only burn seasoned hardwood, but this is certainly a clean burning stove.

I know I mentioned this before but for a while I thought the EPA was responsible for companies putting in secondary tubes/cats in stoves. Had no idea there's stoves 20+ years old kicking out secondary flames. I'm hoping the Ideal Steel I buy will have a service life similar to your stove.

Got a question. If you've never cleaned the chimney how do you know you get a half gallon sized amount of creosote? I'm going to buy one of those bottom up chimney sweep things that you attach to your drill. I'll see how well it works.

I think it's time for a new stove if you can't dry yer wood with that.

Preaching to the choir my friend.

Yard Sailin tomorrow morning :) A sure sign of spring ...... I sure wish someone would call Mother Nature and let her know ...
You guys make it over to the pig site in case this site gets hacked for good ?
We can start a refugee scrounging thread over there , hate to miss out on all the scrounging and how you guys go about it with a bit of guns , whiskey , beer and maple syrup thrown in ..... BBBBBBacon as well LOL

What's the pig site again? Also, is most of the wood up there kinda small or is that all just new/newer growth?

I never think to carry a camera with me when I'm in the woods, and I don't ( gasp) own a cell phone. I do, however, really cut down trees with a chainsaw and haul them out to be c/s/s. You will just have to believe me!:D

You don't have a cellphone!? Do you hear a dial tone and numbers dialing when you log on to the internet? My wife was watching this show on tv about people that are addicted to texting. Holy ****!! People are actually addicted to texting!? What the hell is this world coming to. I would rather spend hours busting my butt cutting, splitting, and hauling firewood than sitting on my ass texting on a phone.

The fire pit supply is bourgeoning. Found a guy just down the street that has a small wood lot and he gave me what he had and permission to cut at any time. All small stuff but mostly quality. American elm, red oak, black cherry, and I think some type of hickory. Had to take a few pieces of sumac as it came with the lot, is that safe to burn?

View attachment 421184
I have burned sumac many times. Small stuff goes into the kindling pile and the larger stuff goes into the shoulder season pile. No splitting necessary:happybanana: I have to be in the right mood to mess with it tho.

T-shirt and bikini weather up here today so out to the woodpile we went :)
Got there and found that the road hand been raised about 3' this week .
Which meant that the woodpile was now over there :(
I didnt realize glaciers were such a big issue for you guy. Impressive how smooth they left the road. :laughing:

You guys scrounges are killin me.:crazy2: I gotta get my truck together. I have one head off and took the valves out and found only 4 of the 8 valves in the head has stem seals. :surprised3:

I did manage to do this though... Split like butter!
image.jpg

BTW, that branch looking piece on the ground above the rounds is a monster PI vine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 9
Funny as hell...they ya go. Lol.

...ya don't think they're a huntin' the GA boys do ya??? Damn...I like frinz in low placiz...just me sayin...last thing I need is that 'fro or some chia pet deal on my arse. Lol

This is still the same scrounge site I've been working on for months now. Found this smaller tree/log under the bigger root ball tree. Turns out there's three trees on the ground near or under the root ball log so I have even more firewood than I thought. I'm set for three years at the very least. Of course all this is totally dependent upon actually loading all the stuff I cut into the van lol.

Anyway, the smaller tree/log:
IMG_20150424_142449_793_zpsenfzdazx.jpg

This is the root ball tree closer to the top portion. It's still fairly large I think:
IMG_20150424_142442_919_zpskhzigy5z.jpg

Some of the rounds I cut up:
IMG_20150424_142437_878_zpstthhws8i.jpg

You can see my homemade wooden wedge in this ^ picture. Smaller homemade wedge is under it. I hope this stuff is white oak. This piece right here ^ pinched my bar. I tried to kick the round to the left of it to free my bar but it wouldn't budge. You can see where I had to use my Fiskars to free my bar again lol. Yep, I still suck at this scrounging stuff.

The fire pit supply is bourgeoning. Found a guy just down the street that has a small wood lot and he gave me what he had and permission to cut at any time. All small stuff but mostly quality. American elm, red oak, black cherry, and I think some type of hickory. Had to take a few pieces of sumac as it came with the lot, is that safe to burn?

View attachment 421184
Staghorn Sumac is no big deal. I doubt it carries many BTUs but if you like it that's fine. Poison sumac is another story. As already stated it is about as toxic as poison ivy.

Back