Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice little saw there sagetown!

I have not worked on my 235e much more unfortunately. To answer a couple of questions, I do have the bar and chain on the saw. I also don't know that the clutch has any issues, but I can say the saw is running very high with out any throttle input. So regardless of the condition of the clutch the engine is turning over too fast. I bought some shelf fuel the other day and I'll try to give that a go on my 235e one of these days and see what happens.

But on a much more interesting and fun note I got myself a new saw (or, well, used but new to me.) Its a Husqvarna 440 and I am so glad I got it. Just a huge improvement when it comes to cutting and its even about the same weight as the 235e. I have to stay there is a little more bulk to the saw, but with the power gain it is not something I am concerned about. :) I have run this saw for about a total of an hour. I cut up some maple that was 10-16" dia. and not I'm working on getting my pile of cottonwood taken care of. I'll post some pictures soon and maybe an update as I have new information or thoughts.
I feel your pain on the over-haul:dumb:. On my Deuce Eleven, I gave up on it, and took it in to the shop. He did everything I did, but he must have found the right tweak, because it runs like a top again:dancing:.
My old Poulan had cracked primer bulb, and cracked fuel lines that I had to replace. Also the gas cap seemed too large suddenly, and if I could get it loose:crazy2:, then I'd have a time getting it back on. Problem Solved: I quit using Ethanol Gas. No cracked primer bulbs, or lines, and the gas cap (no kidding) shrunk back to normal size:clap::clap:.

I feel your pain on the over-haul:dumb:. On my Deuce Eleven, I gave up on it, and took it in to the shop. He did everything I did, but he must have found the right tweak, because it runs like a top again:dancing:.
My old Poulan had cracked primer bulb, and cracked fuel lines that I had to replace. Also the gas cap seemed too large suddenly, and if I could get it loose:crazy2:, then I'd have a time getting it back on. Problem Solved: I quit using Ethanol Gas. No cracked primer bulbs, or lines, and the gas cap (no kidding) shrunk back to normal size:clap::clap:.

Thanks for the sympathy! :) I do so little cutting right now that I decided to start using shelf fuel. Its pretty expensive I realize, but I figure if it will keep my saw (and hopefully saws) running for 10, 20, or more years then it is worth the small investment.

I will keep working on my 235e, but I have found some new issues with it recently. The block has a broken pin and it happens to be one of the ones that holds the ignition system on. Eventually I'll need to replace that and the flywheel (I'm assuming that's what its called...) and the ignition system too. Then I think I need to dive into the carb and the fuel lines to see what I find there. And If I get the time I hope to pull everything apart and I might find I need a new piston too... Its just not had an easy life my poor saw. But I hope one day to have it running again with a short bar on it for backup, emergencies, and just those times that I want something very small and light. :)

Hi Everyone!

Its been a little while since I posted anything. I have done a few things to my 235e, but not too much. I pulled the muffler off and I think I found that I have a scored piston and cylinder. I can't be certain, though, because I haven't ever seen one before. So, how would I identify that it is actually score? Also, what should I do if it is scored?

I would like to disassemble the saw completely, but I am not completely certain on how do that. Are there special tools I'll need? This saw is worthless to me at the moment so I would like to practice all the maintenance I can. Hopefully I will actually fix things and learn in the process. Is there any resource I can use to help me learn as I take the saw apart? Anything that will guide me through repairing the saw?

Thanks again!

Hi Everyone!

Its been a little while since I posted anything. I have done a few things to my 235e, but not too much. I pulled the muffler off and I think I found that I have a scored piston and cylinder. I can't be certain, though, because I haven't ever seen one before. So, how would I identify that it is actually score? Also, what should I do if it is scored?

I would like to disassemble the saw completely, but I am not completely certain on how do that. Are there special tools I'll need? This saw is worthless to me at the moment so I would like to practice all the maintenance I can. Hopefully I will actually fix things and learn in the process. Is there any resource I can use to help me learn as I take the saw apart? Anything that will guide me through repairing the saw?

Thanks again!
Send a pic of exhaust port with piston in view

Hi Everyone!

Thanks again!

Have a look at my youtube channel. I do bolt for bolt vids on how to dismantle things and put them back together. The 235 is not a model I have covered. But if you want to tackle such a project then start by watching my vids... perhaps the 455 rancher rebuild might significantly help....it'll give you an idea of what to look for. Best of luck

Well I guess I'm going to be the first one to say it, the 235 & 240 are the lowest of the low Huskys, my dealer will not even stock them, they are basicly Poulan wildthings, I have owned one of each and I still have the wildthing but I gave the 235 & the 240 away.
I have 4 or 5 of the small poulans that I really like and 8 other Husky's so I'm not hateing on Huskvarna, that 235 will keep you busy doing just what your doing with it but that 440 you bought will keep you smiling.

John

Well I guess I'm going to be the first one to say it, the 235 & 240 are the lowest of the low Huskys, my dealer will not even stock them, they are basicly Poulan wildthings, I have owned one of each and I still have the wildthing but I gave the 235 & the 240 away.
I have 4 or 5 of the small poulans that I really like and 8 other Husky's so I'm not hateing on Huskvarna, that 235 will keep you busy doing just what your doing with it but that 440 you bought will keep you smiling.

John
Thats one thing I like about you. Your not ashamed of owning cheep saws cause they are lite n run good. I had a good time swapping saws with you.

old guy, when I posted, I didn't have much time to type....but I was going to say the same thing. not sure a 235 is worth fixin, but then again, I hate it when people tell me what to do.

to the OP ...the amount of $$ you will spend fixing a 235 will be far beyond what they are worth (possibly even new). however, since the saw is essentially junk at this point, you have nothing to lose by ripping it apart. the experience you gain from such an undertaking is invaluable. best of luck whatever you do

John
They are Poulans but they are not the Wild Thing design - you will find they share very few parts with any Poulan-badged saw. Similar in some ways, but not in others.

If it really is scored I suspect fixing it would be cheap and maybe a fun project if that is of interest, but in the mean time it would make sense to get another saw.

Have a look at my youtube channel. I do bolt for bolt vids on how to dismantle things and put them back together. The 235 is not a model I have covered. But if you want to tackle such a project then start by watching my vids... perhaps the 455 rancher rebuild might significantly help....it'll give you an idea of what to look for. Best of luck

Mattyo, thanks for the reply. I took a look at your videos and they are exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks!

Will I need special tools to do any of the work? I have only noticed that you used a special clutch tool so far in the videos I have watched. If there are special tools I need where would I find them?

Thanks again!

John

I am loving my 440! Such a good little saw. I had been looking for a 450 because I wanted the extra power, but I live in a fairly small town and the 440 has been the best deal I could afford on a saw I have found in the last year.

They are Poulans but they are not the Wild Thing design - you will find they share very few parts with any Poulan-badged saw. Similar in some ways, but not in others.

If it really is scored I suspect fixing it would be cheap and maybe a fun project if that is of interest, but in the mean time it would make sense to get another saw.
Chris-PA, I always enjoy your input, Thanks!

I bought my 235 used for $100 about two years ago. I needed it to cut down a couple of stumps in the back yard of the house I had just bought. They were 4' dia. and probably 4-5' tall. I ran the saw for about 10 hours before it started acting up. After quite a bit of fiddling around with the 235, having it run only about half the time usually poorly, I bought myself a Husqvarna 440. I used it to clean up some storm damage and to finish off the stumps. Now I am hoping to cut my own firewood this year and keep a nice stockpile both for winter and fire pits.

I'm sure one day I'll get an even bigger saw (maybe a 460 rancher or if I can find one and I can afford it something in the professional range.) For now I enjoy what I have and I hope to learn a lot form my 235 as I play with it. It would be so fun to see it running well again if it were possible.

Not quite sure, but as far as I remember they are the engine equivalent of the poulan 7-40 / partner 740. The plastic is different although.

@SimpleTree

it is always good to have a easy beginners project. Although as the others have mentioned you can quickly exceed the budget of a replacement saw!

Personally it sounds like the saw was run lean from the beginning and you might have fried it. I would, or have a dealer check if you are unsure, check the carb settings on your good 440 saw! Would be a shame to risk damaging it prematurely.

Not quite sure, but as far as I remember they are the engine equivalent of the poulan 7-40 / partner 740.
I did not know about those models - I downloaded the Partner 740 IPL and that appears to be similar to a PoulanPro 4218. The Husky 240 engine design is very similar, but it does not have a separate lower engine pan, and the intake/boot and A/V mounts are different. At one time I wondered if you could put a 42cc Poulan engine on it!

Your probably right, it has been a few years since I looked them up.

BTW I liked your audio / rpm thread a lot! Do you have the link at hand?

Send a pic of exhaust port with piston in view

I'll get one in the next couple of weeks as I am busy with a new baby and a couple projects around my house. Thanks!
Just to portrait some piston wear and score marks.

This is a carbon build up scored piston, 9 years of work - still running strong:
Dolmar PS-6400 PnC01.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 PnC02.JPG

This is a carbon build up lightly cored piston with lots of blow by due to piston ring wear, 30 years of work - cleaned up OK & needs be reassembled:
Sachs-Dolmar 105 PnC01.jpg Sachs-Dolmar 105 PnC02.jpg

This is a piston which ate crankshaft needle bearing cage pieces at full WOT (~13k), it also shows significant slop wear due to the cylinders open port design, 4 or 5 years of work - dead in a box as all parts required to fix exceed the value of the tool:
Dolmar MS-30U PnC01.JPG Dolmar MS-30U PnC02.JPG

Just to portrait some piston wear and score marks.

This is a carbon build up scored piston, 9 years of work - still running strong:
View attachment 484562 View attachment 484563

This is a carbon build up lightly cored piston with lots of blow by due to piston ring wear, 30 years of work - cleaned up OK & needs be reassembled:
View attachment 484564 View attachment 484565

This is a piston which ate crankshaft needle bearing cage pieces at full WOT (~13k), it also shows significant slop wear due to the cylinders open port design, 4 or 5 years of work - dead in a box as all parts required to fix exceed the value of the tool:
View attachment 484566 View attachment 484567
Is that the new boost ported piston lo . Ouch

Latest posts

Back