Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never bought anything from CL[emoji1] you don't need to worry about me.

surely everyone has heard the phrase "buying ones problems". it happens all to often on CL. heck, it happens enough here LOL i don't buy saws from anyone. i pick them out of the dump to build or buy new from the dealer. trade once in a while too but i'm pretty well done with that as well.

What about echo cs400? Perfect for cleanup. Light nimble adjustable oiler extremely reliable.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to have a top handle saw, but I am probably only going to have one saw for now so I would need something a little more robust.

I am still wondering about echo. The saws I have held felt kinda cheap in hand, but I have never seen one running. I also only have a big box store (blain's farm and fleet) that services echo and I'm not sure what their service is like. Its new to town too so that doesn't help much either. I'd be open to echo saws if they are really great saws.

I had a echo 400. Always started in a few pulls cold. Always ran canned ethnol free fuel in it. Never had a problem. I'd stay away from top handles. They are a lot more dangerous. If you get one always use both hands.

I had a echo 400. Always started in a few pulls cold. Always ran canned ethnol free fuel in it. Never had a problem. I'd stay away from top handles. They are a lot more dangerous. If you get one always use both hands.
Echo 400 is, not top handls
Sorry, I got confused by echo-usa.com. I see now it is a rear handle saw. It looks very similar to the Husqvarna 440 or 435. I have liked those when I have held them. It does appear to be a little lighter, but I haven't ever found a power rating.

Thanks Again!

My search is still on because finances changed a little unexpectedly here. So I have a couple of hypothetical questions until I have the money to really search in earnest.

If you could buy any saw, but that would be your only saw, what would you buy?

If you had a budget of $300.00 (US) what would you buy?

Thanks in advance to any who offer up their thoughts. :)

I have a Husky 445 (little brother to the 450) and it's awesome! and not a bad price as well. only paid $420. Mind you they do cost more since I'm in Northern Canada, so ya bout them shipping costs eh. and our currency rates affect the cost as well.

Save another $100 and buy this....http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-cs-600p.282782/ ;)

It will last you several decades with a little maintenance.
Red fir down pointed you to a very good buy you better grab it.
Thanks guys!
But honestly I don't have anything in my budget at the moment... :(
That saw does look like a very good deal and a good choice for what I am looking to one day spend. If its still around when I pull the money together I'll definitely let you know! :)

My search is still on because finances changed a little unexpectedly here. So I have a couple of hypothetical questions until I have the money to really search in earnest.

$329 will get you a Dolmar 421 shipped to your door with a free case.

For small stuff, get a good chain for your 235 and work on your filing skills. As the local contrarian I don't buy that you need a pro saw for what you describe, and I use mostly homeowner and cheaper saws. I've wanted to play with a 235/240 and think they are nice designs - probably would respond well to a muffler mod.

Still, you won't want to be dropping any 24" trees with one, but a Poulan Pro PP5020 would do fine.

For small stuff, get a good chain for your 235 and work on your filing skills. As the local contrarian I don't buy that you need a pro saw for what you describe, and I use mostly homeowner and cheaper saws. I've wanted to play with a 235/240 and think they are nice designs - probably would respond well to a muffler mod.

Still, you won't want to be dropping any 24" trees with one, but a Poulan Pro PP5020 would do fine.
Thanks for the reply. I do like my 235. Its a fun little saw. :) I'll have to look into a muffler mod.

I have been trying to figure out this chain thing. I bought three husqvarna chains at my local dealer recently, but I don't know if they are safety chains. I have been hand sharpening them and I feel I have been able to get them to cut chips and not just dust. In fact, after I learned to sharpen the chain I became even more impressed with my saw! (especially since I got it used for $100)

At the moment I am having some trouble with it dying. It starts pretty easily (1-2 pulls for the pop with the choke pulled out and the another 1-2 pulls with it at half choke and its running.) I then let it get warm for a minute before I go WOT into a cut. After a cut or two at WOT it will die while idling. Sometimes it will start up and I'll get another cut out of it and it dies again at idle, but recently it will not start back up. I bought a carb adjustment tool and I am hoping that adjusting the carb will fix this, but I'm wondering if it will need more.

Thanks for the reply. I do like my 235. Its a fun little saw. :) I'll have to look into a muffler mod.

I have been trying to figure out this chain thing. I bought three husqvarna chains at my local dealer recently, but I don't know if they are safety chains. I have been hand sharpening them and I feel I have been able to get them to cut chips and not just dust. In fact, after I learned to sharpen the chain I became even more impressed with my saw! (especially since I got it used for $100)

At the moment I am having some trouble with it dying. It starts pretty easily (1-2 pulls for the pop with the choke pulled out and the another 1-2 pulls with it at half choke and its running.) I then let it get warm for a minute before I go WOT into a cut. After a cut or two at WOT it will die while idling. Sometimes it will start up and I'll get another cut out of it and it dies again at idle, but recently it will not start back up. I bought a carb adjustment tool and I am hoping that adjusting the carb will fix this, but I'm wondering if it will need more.
What bar length and chain does it have? The chain number should be stamped on the drive links. Oregon list those as 3/8 lo pro, but might be 0.050" gauge or 0.043".

It sounds to me like it just needs the mixture adjusted, and if you have the tool it should be easy to do.

What bar length and chain does it have? The chain number should be stamped on the drive links. Oregon list those as 3/8 lo pro, but might be 0.050" gauge or 0.043".

It sounds to me like it just needs the mixture adjusted, and if you have the tool it should be easy to do.
The number stamped on the side is 37. The box and bar both say .050. It is a 16" Oregon "Low Kickback" bar.

The number stamped on the side is 37. The box and bar both say .050. It is a 16" Oregon "Low Kickback" bar.
That appears to be Husqvarna H37 3/8 lo pro chain, which I guess is the same as Oregon 91PX. There's nothing wrong with that chain, I have lots of it and the ramped drive links don't get in the way at all. 16" is a little long for 35cc (and I typically run longer bars than recommended on AS), I think a 14" would be better - but you've already got it so it's no big deal.

Is a swap to a .325 B&C would be a good idea to give a little more chance on the saw in that case? Sure it would be harder to sharpen, but would be more easy on the saw?

That appears to be Husqvarna H37 3/8 lo pro chain, which I guess is the same as Oregon 91PX. There's nothing wrong with that chain, I have lots of it and the ramped drive links don't get in the way at all. 16" is a little long for 35cc (and I typically run longer bars than recommended on AS), I think a 14" would be better - but you've already got it so it's no big deal.
Yeah, the saw came with the bar and chain. I really knew nothing about saws at that point and I bought the spare chains before I knew much too. I would like to run a 14" on the saw, but I have buried the bar in a cotton wood stump and kept it going well enough so I'll keep running what I have till I have more money. :) Then hope that one day I'll have a saw that can run an 18-20" bar for the bigger work and I can keep the 235 alive to do the smaller/lighter work.

BTW, Chis, it is nice to see someone on here who isn't afraid to run small saws and admit they enjoy it. :)

Latest posts

Back