stihl ms 260 mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I would like to get some extra power out of my limbing saw and wonderd if any one has worked on a 260 before . They are a little slow in stock form and I would like to get another horse out of it.

Modded a few 026/260 jugs, best mods were to boost the compression but not raise the exhaust or transfers much and widen the ports out. Muffler mod will help it a lot, also the stock air filter and carb becomes a bottleneck once ported.

Modded a few 026/260 jugs, best mods were to boost the compression but not raise the exhaust or transfers much and widen the ports out. Muffler mod will help it a lot, also the stock air filter and carb becomes a bottleneck once ported.

ditto, thats pretty much what I did to my new-to-me 026pro. it put a stock 260 to shame at the gtg, and it was wearing chipper chain. oh, and I switched out the carb to a WT194 from the wt426? it had.
-Ralph

Last edited:
This 260 has had the exhaust taken up about 2.5mm, but pipe and alky. Still no cut off head or external transfers and running stock intake and carb, so it could be made a good bit faster yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovJD_Ozbng

On the stihls with narow skirt I like to keep between .020 and .040 on the sides of the skirt, on wider skirt piston I go to about 65% of bore for a woods saw up to a little over 70 for something more to race.

Last edited:
How did you get that to play in fast forward????

Just kidding, awesome saw. I have an 026, looking for a jug and piston, and would like to get some extra power, any suggestions where to look? I am new to the fixing part of saws, but have cut firewood for about 10 years.

ditto, thats pretty much what I did to my new-to-me 026pro. it put a stock 260 to shame at the gtg, and it was wearing chipper chain. oh, and I switched out the carb to a WT194 from the wt426? it had.
-Ralph

what advantage dose th 426 have over the 194

what advantage dose th 426 have over the 194

The range of adjustability is what I understand is the difference but the 194 has more adjustability then the 426.

Last edited:
Just removing the muffler cover and drilling two more 5/16" holes, per Lakeside, made a monster difference in my 260. Try the muffler mod and carb adjust and then see if you need more.

Can someone post specific instructions on opening up the muffler(pics)?Does it matter where you drill new holes?

Depending if you have a newer 026/260 or older 026. The older 026s had 4 holes in the muffler while the newer 026s have 2 and some 260s have 1. Here is a pic of a 026 that had the 2 holes, and were made into one big hole. The orange circles show how the other type of cover is made, just cut/grind the centers out to make one long hole. Make sure you have a fully adjustable carb, like the 194. It will have "H" "L" and "LA" settings. After the muff mod, you will need to richen up the "H" to slow it down a little, may have to back it out(couter clockwise) about 1/4 or more a turn. Use a tach and get her around 14K rpm.
attachment.php

hmmm..........

I think I will have to try the muffler mod on my 026. If this turns out well the 361 is next.

I will try to get a timed cut on the same log to compare.

Latest posts

Back