STIHL MS460, MS461? I have the oportunity to buy both new! I need help deciding!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was really that worried about anti-vibe, air filtration, and smoothness, I'd go to the Husky shop :msp_biggrin:

I can deal with a little vibration and cleaning the filter daily but wouldn't stand for bolts falling out and damaged threads. I've owned a few 372's and everyone had missing top shroud bolts and muffler bolts. What'd be so freakin hard about making a bolt like stihls.

Alright everyone, so I am off to the shop tomorrow to take a look at the saws and hopefully bring one home! I guess it will come down to what feels right! Although, at the moment its looking like I am leaning towards the MS461. Will let you guys know tomorrow! BTW, what size bar should I get with a 461 to have it fairly balanced?

Alright everyone, so I am off to the shop tomorrow to take a look at the saws and hopefully bring one home! I guess it will come down to what feels right! Although, at the moment its looking like I am leaning towards the MS461. Will let you guys know tomorrow! BTW, what size bar should I get with a 461 to have it fairly balanced?

25 or 28 would work well

25" ES, or ($-ouch) a 28" ES Light.

i like the 32 stihl light ,when cutting standing up ,don't have to arch the back over ,once you get used to it ,the reach is nice limbing too

Hey guys, so I went to the store yesterday and picked up a brand new ms 461, $950 plus tax with a 20"Es bar. I will probably be getting a 28" bar as well. Finally, the 461 just felt a little nicer than the 460. I ended up liking the new design a Lot better in person than in the pictures! Took a look at the 660, but it really seemed quite a bit heavier/bigger (even though its only 2 pounds more or so). The only thing that I was debating in my decision was whether I should have waited and ordered a wrap handle! I decided against it, thinking that with the wrap it wouldn't fit in my stihl carrying box AND that it would add an extra 0.6 pounds to the saw. I thought...the extra weight isn't really worth it for the number if times I would use the wrap...
Hope that was a good decision? Also it was 75 bucks more to order the wrap. Ohh and random, but the 461 does still have the magnum sticker on it (at least the one I bought does)...wonder why they dropped the magnum part of the name on their website???
As for the wrap handle, I believe I can still order a 460 wrap handle and it should fit on the 461? I am going to order the larger dogs for it anyway. Aside from that, are there any major differences between the regular model and the R version?
Ohh and FYI, the dealer said that from guys who came in the store, most people thought the 460 was more zippy than the 461 in terms of cutting wood faster. I think he meant on wood smaller than 20 inches wide...

Congrats,great saw.
The R (wrap model) has dual bumper spikes,roller chain catcher,high out put bar oiler.
I just change the wrap handle to a half wrap.:msp_biggrin:

Go the 28'' ES Light bar same weigh as the 20'' ES.

Really? I knew that the R version has a Full wrap handle. I didn't realize there was a half wrap??? Never even seen that. Where can I get one and what's the difference from the full wrap?
I also knew the R model had bigger dogs and a larger chip deflector or side panel...
What's a roller chain catcher? Also found nothing online that says it has a high output bar oiler? You sure a out that?
As for the bar...
I know they have an Es line which is the light line. I got the 20"Es bar. How does it make sense that the 28"Es bar weighs the same? Unless there are 2 Es lines? Am I missing something....

hows your nose after cutting that stuff ? must make some good chunkies in there :laugh:

It's like laying a couple of turds out your nostrils at the end of the day :D

!!! You guys live in a 'special' place down there . . .

Philbert

We love our wood. Chains don't though. You'd be surprised how many full time firewood cutters here run carbide. Im selling more and more of it as even semi chisel just isn't holding up in some of this stuff.
Had a full time firewood guy the other day buy 2 x 84DL Stihl 36RD carbide chains and a diamond wheel to suit - $705. That would buy a lot of normal chain but he just can't get normal chain to last. The wood he is cutting is that bad that he'd go broke running normal chain sadly.
On another note this guy has both an MS461 and an MS660. He is favouring the 660 because in his words it just does everything "easily" compared to the 461.

Really? I knew that the R version has a Full wrap handle. I didn't realize there was a half wrap??? Never even seen that. Where can I get one and what's the difference from the full wrap?
I also knew the R model had bigger dogs and a larger chip deflector or side panel...
What's a roller chain catcher? Also found nothing online that says it has a high output bar oiler? You sure a out that?
As for the bar...
I know they have an Es line which is the light line. I got the 20"Es bar. How does it make sense that the 28"Es bar weighs the same? Unless there are 2 Es lines? Am I missing something....

Some people call it a half wrap handle or standard handle same thing.

A roller chain catcher is a shaft and a plastic roller that is just behind the bottom of the dogs (twin bumper spikes) its a safety idear if the chain comes off doent chuw up your self or the saw.

High out put oiler,have a look at my sig how many R wrap models do you see.:)

ES bar is a solid bar
ES Light is a light model
I have weighed them a 20'' ES is the same weight as a 28''ES Light.

Cheers

Hey guys, so I went to the store yesterday and picked up a brand new ms 461, $950 plus tax with a 20"Es bar. I will probably be getting a 28" bar as well. Finally, the 461 just felt a little nicer than the 460. I ended up liking the new design a Lot better in person than in the pictures! Took a look at the 660, but it really seemed quite a bit heavier/bigger (even though its only 2 pounds more or so). The only thing that I was debating in my decision was whether I should have waited and ordered a wrap handle! I decided against it, thinking that with the wrap it wouldn't fit in my stihl carrying box AND that it would add an extra 0.6 pounds to the saw. I thought...the extra weight isn't really worth it for the number if times I would use the wrap...
Hope that was a good decision? Also it was 75 bucks more to order the wrap. Ohh and random, but the 461 does still have the magnum sticker on it (at least the one I bought does)...wonder why they dropped the magnum part of the name on their website???
As for the wrap handle, I believe I can still order a 460 wrap handle and it should fit on the 461? I am going to order the larger dogs for it anyway. Aside from that, are there any major differences between the regular model and the R version?
Ohh and FYI, the dealer said that from guys who came in the store, most people thought the 460 was more zippy than the 461 in terms of cutting wood faster. I think he meant on wood smaller than 20 inches wide...

Nice purchase! I bought a regular 460 (461 just existed on the forum) and have spent way more than $75 to get it closer to the "R". When given a choice, I will only buy an "R" model Stihl again.

Here is mine. Ported by Brad.

b2eb73a7.jpg

55dbd6e9.jpg

d048ef26.jpg

[video=youtube;ZCpwMlRbLtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpwMlRbLtY[/video]

Last edited:
Nice purchase! I bought a regular 460 (461 just existed on the forum) and have spent way more than $75 to get it closer to the "R". When given a choice, I will only buy an "R" model Stihl again.

Here is mine. Ported by Brad.

b2eb73a7.jpg

55dbd6e9.jpg

d048ef26.jpg

[video=youtube;ZCpwMlRbLtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpwMlRbLtY[/video]

Really? What did you do to your saw? I was thinking of ordering the extra side cover with the larger dogs. I was also possibly thinking of ordering the wrap handle separately. What else can I order to mAtch the "r" version? I can't find any reference to the high output oiler that was mentioned...

Some people call it a half wrap handle or standard handle same thing.

A roller chain catcher is a shaft and a plastic roller that is just behind the bottom of the dogs (twin bumper spikes) its a safety idear if the chain comes off doent chuw up your self or the saw.

High out put oiler,have a look at my sig how many R wrap models do you see.:)

ES bar is a solid bar
ES Light is a light model
I have weighed them a 20'' ES is the same weight as a 28''ES Light.

Cheers

Ahh I found it. The Es super and Es light bars. No idea which one I have... All it says is Rollomatic Es on the bar. Can't find anything on the high output oiler. Is it something that is worth changing?? What do u mean by sig?

Last edited:
Really? What did you do to your saw? I was thinking of ordering the extra side cover with the larger dogs. I was also possibly thinking of ordering the wrap handle separately. What else can I order to mAtch the "r" version? I can't find any reference to the high output oiler that was mentioned...

You pretty much have the list of parts but they will set you back close to $300. If you do a search here or on google for high output oiler ms460 you will find the part numbers.

Even if you didn't want those parts you could buy the wrap model then sell or trade them for standard parts to offset the cost of the saw.

You pretty much have the list of parts but they will set you back close to $300. If you do a search here or on google for high output oiler ms460 you will find the part numbers.

Even if you didn't want those parts you could buy the wrap model then sell or trade them for standard parts to offset the cost of the saw.

Is the high output oiler worth having? What's the difference!

Ahh I found it. The Es super and Es light bars. No idea which one I have... All it says is Rollomatic Es on the bar. Can't find anything on the high output oiler. Is it something that is worth changing?? What do u mean by sig?

The ES Light bars only come in 28' and 36''.

The high out put oiler is good with 28'' bars +

Sig is short for signature,down the bottom listing saws and stuff.

Other things worth having.
Use a 8 pin sprocket withe the 20'' and a 7 pin with a 28'' bar.
Dual port front muffler cover and open up original outlet.

attachment.php

Back