The Octopus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a monster! Blowdown last winter I need to clean up for Von (the farmer). I also need the wood for an order next year. It fell across a creek running in the bottom of a deep ditch. Fell at an acute angle so most of the main log is suspended over the ditch. If I can get it all it’ll go about 2 cords or more.

002_zpskjhx2siw.jpg

Hard to see but this is the butt end. Goes at least 36” and I suspect considerably more, root wad just out of sight behind the weeds to the right. Suspened about 8” above the ground making it a problem on how to cut it free without trapping the bar.

octopus_zpsvg4wa07x.jpg

From about the middle of the top looking at the trunk. The two arching down on the right both are props. There is another huge branch coming off the log and extending way out to the left of that broken stub (center left of the pic). That branch goes at least 2’ where it joins.

There is a big knob just back of that broken bit that holds the whole log up. It is right at the edge of the ditch.

Gonna be fun figuring how to cut that thing up without killing myself. For sure the main log will have to pulled across that ditch somehow – possible going back the other way to a good anchor tree. Nothing at all on this side for an anchor to rig snatchblocks.

Plan for tomorrow if I have the guts. Temp supposed to be 95 but that is afternoon. I plan to get up at 5 and get a couple hours in working the top.

007_zpscc4f0qby.jpg

I’ll work that small limb (goes out a long way) and then turn to those two limbs looping down on the right. Gonna hate to lose them as they are providing some shade. They are "props" but really not hold much of anything. I can get into a position to be clear if it does decide to roll over - unlikely as it will still be held by the rootball and that big branch going out to the left.

Beyond that? See about cutting the main log just behind the knob propping the whole thing up. If I can do that then what remains of the top should tilt down to where I can get at it.

Temps predicted for over a 100 Sat, Sun, Mon and into the mid/hi 90s for the rest of the 10 day forecast. Won’t be going back until weather returns to what is normal for this country.

Harry K

Good luck man! Looks to be a lot of appetizers before you get to the main course! Maybe get down to the main trunk once stabilized, then break it in thirds for hauling out..

Of course, what do I know, left coast and all..maybe a reverse medium hard flying dutch/belgian hybrid cootchy coo springing about face county line non boring cut...should just bust in the air and land in the truck then...

;)

Good luck man! Looks to be a lot of appetizers before you get to the main course! Maybe get down to the main trunk once stabilized, then break it in thirds for hauling out..

Of course, what do I know, left coast and all..maybe a reverse medium hard flying dutch/belgian hybrid cootchy coo springing about face county line non boring cut...should just bust in the air and land in the truck then...

;)

I got a surprise this morning. Started at 5:30, quit at 8:30. Removed the long limb on the left, whittled at the prop limbs on the right, did this, did that and was left with the main log held up by a down going limb jammed into the dirt under that busted stub. Cut that at slant, first down then up - whole thin settled down about 1/8" and trapped my saw bar. removed power head, and whittled away with the 361. Amazed! everything came free and the log remained suspended!! Can't get too it from this side as I would have stand on a sky hook over the creek. Much head scratching and decided to chop a path from the truck (over on the other side of the ditch) around the rootball and see what it looks like over there.

end_zpsadjkzxlo.jpg

Hooray. I can cut the log just before that limb that arched up over and down again. That will drop what is left of the top and the log across the ditch. I'll do that the next trip next week, work up everything on that side of the ditch, maybe even start blocking the main log leaving the log section bridging the ditch until I can rig a good chain/cable lashup to pull it.

Oddly, I can see nothing at all holding that tree up in the air - must be the rootball or something on the other side (lots of limbs over there I haven't examined).

As usual what looked like a major problem turned out simple by just taking it a step at a time. That is a good example of why I like to work trees from the top back to the stump, all stresses come out in little bits instead a lot at once.

Harry K

Looks good. I love dismantling big trees. Its pretty rare I get any that big that are downed already around here..

Looks good. I love dismantling big trees. Its pretty rare I get any that big that are downed already around here..

My next two are the one behind the octopus, smaller and few big branches and another monster to the left (not seen in the photo) Both will fall within the wood patch with not even a twig in the field.

Harry K

The verdict is in and I got skunked. Cut the log back by the big limb coming off it on the other side of he ditch. 3-4" ring of good wood surrounding a rotten core. Instead of the 2 cords I was hoping for I'll be lucky to get 1/2 cord from the top. And I still have to delimb the log and pile the brush. At least I can leave the logl in place instead of a lot of fooling around with chains, cables, snatch blocks.

Got about 30 minutes work left on the top and then see if I can brush out a truck road to get to one of those other two trees. Planning to go again in the morning about 5. Temps still running mid 90s by the afternnoons.

Harry K

Well you win some and lose some. I scrounged up a yellow birch this spring but sadly the main trunk was punky already. Got about a quarter cord of wood past the fork though.

The verdict is in and I got skunked. Cut the log back by the big limb coming off it on the other side of he ditch. 3-4" ring of good wood surrounding a rotten core. Instead of the 2 cords I was hoping for I'll be lucky to get 1/2 cord from the top. And I still have to delimb the log and pile the brush. At least I can leave the logl in place instead of a lot of fooling around with chains, cables, snatch blocks.

Got about 30 minutes work left on the top and then see if I can brush out a truck road to get to one of those other two trees. Planning to go again in the morning about 5. Temps still running mid 90s by the afternnoons.

Harry K

More than me lately! I offered the bank teller lady to come over to do two trees her elderly father has down in his yard after a storm last week, but haven't heard back yet. She said insurance will have to sort it out first, they are on and over a fence.So, I dunno, but gave her my number to get in touch. Be nice to go do a remote off the farm job, just for a change of pace.

More than me lately! I offered the bank teller lady to come over to do two trees her elderly father has down in his yard after a storm last week, but haven't heard back yet. She said insurance will have to sort it out first, they are on and over a fence. So, I dunno, but gave her my number to get in touch. Be nice to go do a remote off the farm job, just for a change of pace.
Frankly, I'd like to do tree work for a bank teller now and then. I asked a police officer if most bank employees are good sources of information after a bank robbery. He said, "Yes, indeed. They are all good tellers."

From the pictures, the tree looks like a type of willow. If so, I would not have put the effort into it. I'll give you a A for effort.

Yes, Willow. I use it to mix in with locust and have customers for it at $120 cord. Thre real story is that I am 80 yoa and need the work to keep from falling apart. Most of my 'wooding' anymore is more for the exercise than the wood.

Harry K

I hauled in a truckload of hybrid willow rounds last week. I'm not sure what they cross bred the willow with, but at least it had far thinner bark than what Harry shows here. The tree was forked three ways near the bottom, but the first main crotch of each fork was almost 20 feet up and the annular rings were over a half inch apart.

I've been told that willow rounds can be split green, but I'm letting them dry in the round for a month or so in hopes that the bark will drop off, thin as it may be. I recall burning some common willow 25 years ago. It dried out to about the same density as basswood or cottonwood.

I fear that Harry's willow haul is not going to be anything like the locust he is famous for bringing in.

I hauled in a truckload of hybrid willow rounds last week. I'm not sure what they cross bred the willow with, but at least it had far thinner bark than what Harry shows here. The tree was forked three ways near the bottom, but the first main crotch of each fork was almost 20 feet up and the annular rings were over a half inch apart.

I've been told that willow rounds can be split green, but I'm letting them dry in the round for a month or so in hopes that the bark will drop off, thin as it may be. I recall burning some common willow 25 years ago. It dried out to about the same density as basswood or cottonwood.

I fear that Harry's willow haul is not going to be anything like the locust he is famous for bringing in.

My days of locust cutting are over. I have more than I will probably burn in what time I have left...especially augmenting it with willow. I have even given away a couple of my finds.

Was out yesterday and overdid it a bit. Stopped in town for groceries and was so beat out that I couldn't walk a straight line across the parking lot. Gotta watch I don't do that again!

Harry K

How much water do you drink in a day Harry? A couple months ago a doctor told me that everybody should drink at least 1/2 gallon a day, working in the heat even more. We all have our differences but my new water consumption schedule sure makes me feel better even when I am indoors and running to the bathroom like a "Russian race horse". LOL

I heard an ounce of water daily per pound of body weight is healthy.

Working in miserable heat and humidity I can do that much in a long day, but only then. I have heard from a few sources that if we wait until we are thirsty to drink then it is already a little late, which is typically what I was doing before.

Way off topic on the water. The most I have ever used was working on a hot day. I would take a 3 gallon cooler of ice water with me when I was building a garage on 90º days. When I drank the last of my available water I called it a day and headed home. I have never weighed 3x128=384 pounds. With heavy work and drinking whenever you feel like you should I really doubt that ounce per pound formula. It is not nearly enough. With no place to urinate near the job I never felt full doing the day that way but a few hours after I got home my urine sure was dark.

When I worked outside every day I'd drink three quarts of iced tea plus water. Now when I work in the woods I drink two quarts of Gatorade plus at least 6 quarts of water. Dehydration headaches are not my favorite thing.

Back