The Octopus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks your score turned out on the small side Harry.

In that kind of heat 5 gallons of water would be what I'd probably go through in 8 hours or so.

I carry a quart of coffee and 2 bottles frozen water. Coffee at the worksite and down the two bottles water on way home. They are usually almost thawed out with just a little ice remaining. My work "day" usually only lasts 3 hours any more, 4 on a good day..

Harry K

Some people have never really worked a 3 hour day. Personally I dream of someday being 80 and working a 3 hour day. You are an inspiration.

Way off topic on the water. The most I have ever used was working on a hot day. I would take a 3 gallon cooler of ice water with me when I was building a garage on 90º days. When I drank the last of my available water I called it a day and headed home. I have never weighed 3x128=384 pounds. With heavy work and drinking whenever you feel like you should I really doubt that ounce per pound formula. It is not nearly enough. With no place to urinate near the job I never felt full doing the day that way but a few hours after I got home my urine sure was dark.

I think @svk might have just been saying that aiming to get at least 1 ounce per pound of body weight in your system every day is a good baseline. I drink over a gallon of water just sitting at my desk at work every day. When I'm working for real (splitting wood, mowing, home maintenance, pitching hay, etc.), I would guess that I go through 2-3 gallons of water in a day's time. A lot of people take in more than they realize, especially when you factor in what you drink with meals, coffee in the AM, and the adult beverage of your choosing at the end of the day.

I think @svk might have just been saying that aiming to get at least 1 ounce per pound of body weight in your system every day is a good baseline. I drink over a gallon of water just sitting at my desk at work every day. When I'm working for real (splitting wood, mowing, home maintenance, pitching hay, etc.), I would guess that I go through 2-3 gallons of water in a day's time. A lot of people take in more than they realize, especially when you factor in what you drink with meals, coffee in the AM, and the adult beverage of your choosing at the end of the day.

I am new at this mega water thing. A half gallon while stuck in the office for a day and I feel like I slosh when I walk, no way could I drink a whole gallon. Working outside maybe a gallon and a half if it is sultry. I don't have a thorough understanding of the whole process. I have heard people say that pure, plain, unadulterated water is what counts and not all the other liquids we drink. I don't get it. All our drinks are maybe 95% water.

I am new at this mega water thing. A half gallon while stuck in the office for a day and I feel like I slosh when I walk, no way could I drink a whole gallon. Working outside maybe a gallon and a half if it is sultry. I don't have a thorough understanding of the whole process. I have heard people say that pure, plain, unadulterated water is what counts and not all the other liquids we drink. I don't get it. All our drinks are maybe 95% water.

Yeah there is definitely a lot of self-proclaimed health experts out there. I drink water til I piss water, and then I don't drink water anymore :laugh:

That is exactly what I was trying to say. The old adage was eight 8 ounce glasses of water per day. That will still work but for optimum performance they recommend 1 oz per pound of body weight. That's from experts not someone who studied the Internet btw.

Heck a lot of people I know survive on two cans of soda. You can do it but your body is working overtime to get the job done.

I've worked 12 hour days in 100° with shade. We would go through 6 5 gallon jugs of water for 8 people. A couple drank mostly gatorade. I would drink 1 gatorade in the morning and refill the quart every 30-45 minutes. The area was very dry so your shirt was never wet to indicate sweating a lot. It just evaporated very quickly.

You guys are fish. 3 whole gallons, wow! I think half of that is probably enough for me on 90+ degree days doing manual labor. Never needed 5 gallons lol. :crazy:
Better luck next score turnkey.

Next one is good all the way, probably a cord but it has turned into a real problem. It fell across the Octopus log. Thread is "Best laid plans and HUA". Put in 3 1/2 hours mostly just cutting up and getting rid of a big butt end.

Harry K

I never decided up front how much to drink. I had that ice water available and did not feel safe hanging around when I had used up the last of my water. I drank whenever I felt thirsty and drove home as soon as I poured myself the last of my 3 gallons. Often that happened between 5 and 6 hours of work time. I had no illusions based on "typical" values on the internet. I simply drank when I felt thirsty.

Latest posts

Back