Which saw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go ahead and buy a saw from your list. They are excellent values. Stihl and Husky sell huge numbers of them and they are very reliable.
I have gotten alot of good advice here and I value these guys opinions.
That being said.....
These guys are either pros or saw nuts or both. Thats not a bad thing. However, they tend to be saw SNOBS. I never knew that my 029 super had a plastic crankcase until I got hooked on this site. I cut alot of wood just the same. The biggest knock on my 029 seems to be the weight. 13 lbs. But I don't walk around with the saw. Its in the log most of the time. When I get to the point when 13 pounds is too much for me to carry, I will officially know it is time to stop cutting wood. I will have officially reached the point where I am too frail to cut wood.
Feel free to buy any of those saws, and enjoy many years of good sawing

+1 People get a little carried away with their recommendations. Surprised I haven't read a 441 or 7900 mentioned yet.

Any of those saws are good FIREWOOD saws, as that's what you asked about, and will serve you well. My advise is go with a quality dealer that will let you test drive the saw(s) you're interested in and go with what fits you best.

Last edited:
I'm not really a snob, but if you are carying around the weight of the 390 all day, why not have the power? As for the the 455, for no more power, and the added weight, I'll run a 350 all day!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with his list but if it were me I would probably go with the Stihl, I am not a huge fan of outboard clutches so the 460/455/350 would be out...but thats my preference.

If 13lbs brothers you and you want to get the most out of it get a 7900 and you will get the most power for your 13lbs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with his list but if it were me I would probably go with the Stihl, I am not a huge fan of outboard clutches so the 460/455/350 would be out...but thats my preference.

If 13lbs brothers you and you want to get the most out of it get a 7900 and you will get the most power for your 13lbs.

Problem here is we are WAY out of the $400 buget price, unless hefinds a good used one?

You should be able to get a 5100 for less than 400.00...........Last I saw the local dealer had them for 389.00.......

5100, YES!

7900, NOPE!!!

Try & find a 066 complete that just needs piston & cylinder from a nearby dealer. $200.00 would be a fair price . Thats what I paid & it came with a stihl 36 " bar & allmost new chain, 3/4 wrap handle & long style clutch cover. . A Baileys kit for $109.00 will get you the largest bang for the buck. No replacement for displacement.

My opinion

I've had a 455 Stay away, 460 is virtually the same saw with a little more power. I've borrowed a MS 290, Id take the 460 or 455 over it. I demo'd a 350 and I'd have to agree with Sawinredneck it's not a bad little saw. My neighbor has had one for a couple years and loves it. For about a 150.00 you could probably pick up a 51 or 55 husky which has the magnesium crank case. I just bought a 51 and like it so far and the majority of the guys on here said its a good little saw and as for me I'd take my 51 over that 455 I had any day. If you want a pro grade saw for a little more I can get you a number to a saw shop that is selling off there inventory cheap as they aren't going to sell husky's anymore and they've got 448.00 on a 357xp shipped to your door. That's a great saw but a little out of your price range. Considering the saws you're used to, even the 460 or MS 290 are going to be a step up from what you've got so it's really up to you. The only pro saw I've got is a 372xp and I love it, but I still pull out my poulans once and a while and they've definately got more hours on them. If you take care of your saw it will take care of you no matter what the level of saw!

Yes, here we go again. Anyone posts wanting a mid-sized saw, and the Forum goes and talks them into buying a 5100 or a 361. Both are good saws, but there is nothing wrong with a 290 or a 310 in my book. They work, and work well. They are tried and true saws.

As for the Stihl MS 361 being all plastic, there is a BIG difference in the tanks and lower engine components of a 361 and say, a 290 (I own and regularly use them both). In critical places, the pro saws like the 361 in the Stihl line are made of metal. They also have goodies on them like rim drives and metal side covers. They also have better engine components that will put up with more stress and use.

A 361 is gonna cost you a whopping $600 out the door though. WAY out of your $400 budget. You can get a used beater 361 for that, but I would opt for a new 290 or the 310 myself. I run a 20 inch bar on my 290 all the time too (with full comp). It will aso drive a 16 or 18 inch bar just fine. No problemo. Dunno about Huskies, never used them much. The Dolmar 5100 would be worth a close look at though. You may be able to get one under budget, but out the door and/or shipped? Not likely. If there is a Dolly dealer near you... here there nearest one is 100 miles away.

My 2 cents... the 361 is a great saw. But at a higher price. The 290 or 310 will serve you just fine though.

Now you got me feeling like the sleazy used car guy.LOL I do know that the saws on his list will do the job he asks,but He is in this forum looking for our advice.My advice will try to steer him to the very best saw he can afford rather have him buy a great saw than one that works.Not selling a 10,000
geo metro here LOL:givebeer:

I am going to stop by and look at the 5100 if the dealer has one. The nearest dealer is in Ottawa, IL. About 40 miles. That would work great because my 4-wheeler dealer is in Ottawa too.

Short of that I am leaning towards either the 310 Stihl or the 460 Husky from all of your comments. The Husky would put me over 60cc. And the 310 Stilh is right near that.

As to the weight, I am going to bring my Craftsman in to work to weigh on digital scale. I don't even know what it weighs. Sears website says 18 lbs but that is probably with the case and tools.

I never carry the saw that I am using more that about 100 feet. Usually the height of the tree that I am going to cut down and the distance I need to park the truck/ATV away from it to make sure they don't get landed on. After that I pull up to the tree, start cutting and throwing wood on truck/trailer. Like I said I cut from timber along several fields. Unless I majorly screw up, the tree lands in the field not back in the ravine.

Matt

There is a stihl dealer in ILL. selling the MS361's for $499 with 20" b+c.

04ultra, where was that place again? you can send him in a pm maybe. I got the catalog for fall/winter sales somewhere in the rack and a bunch of saws were on sale again.

04ultra, where was that place again? you can send him in a pm maybe. I got the catalog for fall/winter sales somewhere in the rack and a bunch of saws were on sale again.

RPE
Schiller Park IL. 60176

Last edited:
Theres a 6401/7900 in the trader section.

havenodog

makita/dolmar 7900 This was a Home Depot rental saw that I bought about 8 months ago. It was converted to 80cc (mahle p&c) about 5 months back. This saw was very clean $460.00

40 miles sounds like much of a drive if you depend on your dealer for service, should you have some problems.I do expect the Dolmar is a performer and the experiances I have with the older generation Sachs Dolmar have been very positive with the exception of getting new parts for a time. I personally trust the Stihl saws the most for reliability and parts and service availubility. I'd skip the 290 for the 310 which isnt as good as the pro saws, but I agree with windthrown that it will serve you fine. I often see or talk to professionals that use these. If you decide to upgrade in the future,those models sell very well on ebay, and you stand a good chance of recovering most of your original purchase price.

Where I live we just have to drive for everything. Like I said my ATV dealer is over there anyway. If the guy is good at the Dolmar dealer, that is probably the way to go. There is a Stihl dealer in Peru that is highly recommended. There just doesn't seem to be any sales/promos on Stihl.

If I were to decide on a Husky, probably internet. There is a seller on ebay out of Illinois that I can pick up a 460 with 24" bar and three chains for $400 BIN. Then I would buy an 18" with chains and keep the 24" for larger jobs.

Matt

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!

Holy smokes, that is a good price on a 361 with that size bar. 20% off. I wish I was like Austin Powers and I could go back in time to ILL, buy that saw and pop back here with the extra $100.

Its enough to make the Fat :censored: wanna cry :cry:

Back