A few pics and review of MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got to play around with my new 362 for the 1st time yesterday. If you've seen my other post, you'd know I took a little road trip to see Thall on Tuesday. Got to hang out with him and talk saws. He helped me with a carb problem I had with my old 038 Mag and gave me a great deal on the only ms362 in Stihl's mid Atlantic area.

Before I talk about the new saw... A little back ground... I'm comparing the 362 to my experience with the 361 and 441. Some might know that I bought a 361 6 or 8 months ago and just recently sold it. I really liked the saw when I 1st got it. As I had been mostly cutting with my 10 year old 026 over the last few years. The 361 was a lot faster with just a little more weight. The only thing I didn't like about it was how light handed you had to be with it. I was used to a slower more torquier 026. In clearing my land with the excavator I cut a lot of green downed trees on uneven ground and they are always under pressure. They wined up pinching a lot more than if you were just cutting dead wood for firewood. The low torque and fast cut speed of the 361 would get me in trouble by getting pinched and hung easier. If I took my time and gave myself enough room to get around the lines of trees, I could avoid getting hung for the most part. Sometimes though it was tough, climbing over trees and branches in the mud on the sides of hills. You just want to hurry, get things stumped and bucked and get back in the machine. That's usually when I'd get hung...

More visits and time spent on this site had me wanting a 441. CAD got the better of me and I got one. Soon after the 361 got kicked to the curb and I put it up for sale. I was a little sad to see the 361 go but the 441 has it all, fast cut speed, loads of torque, very smooth, but with the price of extra weight and bulk (remember I was used to doing my cutting with the little old 026). I've found the 441 is really too much saw for what I usually do. So, I started using the ol' trust 026 again.

Then more visits and time spent on AS, I find out about this new strato 362. Same great saw as the 361, but with more torque and 441 smoothness and styling. This saw has everything I was looking for. I tried Tommy's demo 362 with a 20 in a 18" frozen Yellow Poplar log and it was nice. I was impressed, but I was really impressed yesterday with mine with an 18" bar in 8 to 16 inch oak, maple, hickory and cherry! This saw is as torquie as it is fast. And smooth as silk! It even feels smooth when pulling the starter rope. You can hardly feel the compression. She comes to life in 1 or 2 pulls cold, squeeze the trigger 1 or 2 more easy pulls and she's running. All my other Stihls take at least twice as many pulls cold... I cut for about an hour yesterday smiling the whole time. It revs very fast like the 441 and sounds similar. I think it feels nimble and well balanced in hand and very easy to cut with (bucking or limbing). Very good "do it all" saw and a top of the line firewood saw. It seems to be a good oiler for the western guys running longer bars. Mine's set on "E" and oils very well with an 18. I only had to refuel once during the hour of playing and the oil tank was at about 1/2. So that's pretty fuel friendly.

If anyone has any questions about the saw, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks again to Tommy! I know he knew I was an AS member and all but, I've never had service like that before in all my years of buying tools/ equipment. I could tell from the way he treated the other customers that he gave everyone the same level of service. Just wish he was closer!

I know how everyone likes pics, so I'll post a few from yesterday...
First few are close ups of the 362 before it got into any wood.
The last two are of the 362 with it's new team mates...

I'll make another post to add the last few.

1st is 362 on the small pile of cutting it did while playing...
2nd is 362 taking a little rest while I split...
3rd is 362 sitt'n on a few stacks in the wood shed after the little pile was split and stacked...:greenchainsaw:

QUOTE]

Did it come with the egg rolls or the wonton soup??
Are you hungry for another saw after running it for 30 min??

Just funnin’ you!

Congrats on the new saw. You are lucky to find one of these things. I was at my less than local stihl dealer yesterday and he still claims he has not heard of this saw and does not know when he will be getting one. He seems to have plenty of 361 in stock. I doubt he will get a 362 until they are sold and that might take a while around here.

Here's rep, boys

Here's rep to Country1 for the thoughtful post on the 362 backed up by his hands-on experience--well done! Do you notice the weight difference between the 361 and 362 or is it negligible?

And also here's rep to Brad for the tips on posting a pic... I've been wondering about how to do this and I've tried it without success. And not to derail this 362 thread any further, but do you post the jpgs first, then open them up in a following reply post? There must be a shorter way?

Sorry if this is too far off-topic, but I've been wondering how to do this for a long time.

Olyeller

I've been wondering about how to do this and I've tried it without success. And not to derail this 362 thread any further, but do you post the jpgs first, then open them up in a following reply post? There must be a shorter way?

Sorry if this is too far off-topic, but I've been wondering how to do this for a long time.

Olyeller

To prevent cluttering this thread any farther, which I started:(, take your pic questions to the new thread. Sorry I started this in your thread. I shouldn't have.

awesome saw! great thread too!
Thanks, that means a lot brother.

Yeah, I think some of the dealers are going to get rid of the 361's they have 1st and I can't blame them. Better dealers will stock both and give the consumer the choice. The 361 was so popular, I don't see how they couldn't all sell.

I do think though, when this 362 get's out there more and people get some saw time with it. It'll be more popular than the Cancer Curring 361! Mark my words,,, It's plain awesome! Tough to imagine, but I think it'll happen...

To prevent cluttering this thread any farther, which I started:(, take your pic questions to the new thread. Sorry I started this in your thread. I shouldn't have.

That's alright Brad, brother. You were just trying to help. I appreciate it!
If you really wanted to be nice you could post them form me though...:popcorn:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Does the 362 seriously have a all plastic handle?!?! Very homeowner-ish. Can you retro fit a metal 361 handle? Pretty crappy on a $600 saw if you ask me...

Scott

Here's rep to Country1 for the thoughtful post on the 362 backed up by his hands-on experience--well done! Do you notice the weight difference between the 361 and 362 or is it negligible?

First, thanks for the rep. It's really appreciated! Almost got another star..
And thanks for the thumbs up on the thread. Took me awhile to write it...

You can't tell the weight diff as far as I can tell. If anything the 362 feels better because of ergonomics. It defiantly feels better in the cut, due to the smoothness. But I could just be "new saw" blind...

Bottom line is, it isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Got to play around with my new 362 for the 1st time yesterday. If you've seen my other post, you'd know I took a little road trip to see Thall on Tuesday. Got to hang out with him and talk saws. He helped me with a carb problem I had with my old 038 Mag and gave me a great deal on the only ms362 in Stihl's mid Atlantic area.

Before I talk about the new saw... A little back ground... I'm comparing the 362 to my experience with the 361 and 441. Some might know that I bought a 361 6 or 8 months ago and just recently sold it. I really liked the saw when I 1st got it. As I had been mostly cutting with my 10 year old 026 over the last few years. The 361 was a lot faster with just a little more weight. The only thing I didn't like about it was how light handed you had to be with it. I was used to a slower more torquier 026. In clearing my land with the excavator I cut a lot of green downed trees on uneven ground and they are always under pressure. They wined up pinching a lot more than if you were just cutting dead wood for firewood. The low torque and fast cut speed of the 361 would get me in trouble by getting pinched and hung easier. If I took my time and gave myself enough room to get around the lines of trees, I could avoid getting hung for the most part. Sometimes though it was tough, climbing over trees and branches in the mud on the sides of hills. You just want to hurry, get things stumped and bucked and get back in the machine. That's usually when I'd get hung...

More visits and time spent on this site had me wanting a 441. CAD got the better of me and I got one. Soon after the 361 got kicked to the curb and I put it up for sale. I was a little sad to see the 361 go but the 441 has it all, fast cut speed, loads of torque, very smooth, but with the price of extra weight and bulk (remember I was used to doing my cutting with the little old 026). I've found the 441 is really too much saw for what I usually do. So, I started using the ol' trust 026 again.

Then more visits and time spent on AS, I find out about this new strato 362. Same great saw as the 361, but with more torque and 441 smoothness and styling. This saw has everything I was looking for. I tried Tommy's demo 362 with a 20 in a 18" frozen Yellow Poplar log and it was nice. I was impressed, but I was really impressed yesterday with mine with an 18" bar in 8 to 16 inch oak, maple, hickory and cherry! This saw is as torquie as it is fast. And smooth as silk! It even feels smooth when pulling the starter rope. You can hardly feel the compression. She comes to life in 1 or 2 pulls cold, squeeze the trigger 1 or 2 more easy pulls and she's running. All my other Stihls take at least twice as many pulls cold... I cut for about an hour yesterday smiling the whole time. It revs very fast like the 441 and sounds similar. I think it feels nimble and well balanced in hand and very easy to cut with (bucking or limbing). Very good "do it all" saw and a top of the line firewood saw. It seems to be a good oiler for the western guys running longer bars. Mine's set on "E" and oils very well with an 18. I only had to refuel once during the hour of playing and the oil tank was at about 1/2. So that's pretty fuel friendly.

Thanks again to Tommy! I know he knew I was an AS member and all but, I've never had service like that before in all my years of buying tools/ equipment. I could tell from the way he treated the other customers that he gave everyone the same level of service. Just wish he was closer!

I know how everyone likes pics, so I'll post a few from yesterday...
First few are close ups of the 362 before it got into any wood.
The last two are of the 362 with it's new team mates...

I'll make another post to add the last few.

Just seen this. Glad you like that saw man. Service was nothing , hell I get paid to take care of my customers. I hope I'm not too far away when you need something else,:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Does the 362 seriously have a all plastic handle?!?! Very homeowner-ish. Can you retro fit a metal 361 handle? Pretty crappy on a $600 saw if you ask me...

Scott
What's wrong with a plastic handle? The 361's was plastic... I ain't heard nothing about that. If anything the 362 uses a beefier plastic handle. Look how wide it is where it attaches...

I've had trouble with aluminum handles bending amd they transmit more vibration. The plastic handle is a plus for me!

Back