A few pics and review of MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got around to reading this nicely informative thread. Talked to my local Stihl Tech/manager and he just got back from the factory training yesterday. He said they took the 362 completely apart and was very impressed with it's design and ergonomics.

Before the training, he was not even planning on stocking the 362. Now after the training class, he is gung ho on the 362 and anxious to receive one.

I don't know brother. Just going off what I've been told. No saws in my area when I called all around. I got this email from Stihl mid Atlantic on Monday and Thall backed it up....

Rick,

We just received our first shipment of MS-362s and we should begin shipping to dealers later this week.

Please check with your closest STIHL dealer and let them know the MS-362 is now available for sales.

Thanks for your business,

Mike Seagroves
Sales Manager
Mid-Atlantic STIHL

You tell me?....

Maybe nobody cares...but I'll explain it a bit....

If you look on the backside of the plastic parts you will see a standard notation describing what the plastic is. In many Stihl parts you will see something like this: >PA6 30GF< What this means is simple to me as I deal with it every day, but most poeple don't. It mean the part is made from Nylon 6 (PolyAmide 6 = PA6) and that it is 30% glass filled (=30GF). Glass filling does 2 things: increases strength and stiffness dramatically and reduces cost as glass is cheaper than plastic (chew on that for a second, those who like to say "cheap plastic"...).

Nylons are great plastics. They are very strong, have good (not great) impact resistance, are very solvent-resistant, and are also fairly low-cost at the same time. That is a combination that is not common. You usually pay for performance. A lot. But Stihl (for example) is able to make the entire handle tank assy out of 2 parts molded from Nylon 6,6. I know this as I am rebuilding a 660 (not exactly a homeowner saw) right now that got crushed by a tree. Think aluminum can stand up to a 24" oak? No sir.

Plastics are not stronger than metals (well, until you hit the extremes of both materials, in opposite directions). They never will be. But they have many other advantages which is why they are used. The biggest one is the ability to mold-in very intricate details in plastic parts, IMHO. It allows you to get rid of other parts by consolidating them into one more complex part, but wihtout all those extra screws and/or joints. Another key one is that they are LIGHTER. Bingo! These are the 2 main reasons they are used in saws. I examined the tank handle assy on the 660 and the engineering and thought that went into it were very impressive. If this was required to be all metal to meet the Manly-Man test, the saw would weigh 25 lbs. Instead it weighs like 16-17. That's like 40% lighter! So weight doesn't matter? Of course it does. Some of you bleating about "plastic handles" would be compaining about how heavy that "old tech" saw was if that was the case. Some people just like to complain...

There are plastics that can withstand 600 deg F. There are plastics that can bend into a pretzel without breaking. There are transparent plastics that can stop bullets that no glass can. And you can still see through them. Heck, bullet-proof vests are plastic (Spectra or Kevlar). So are your chain saw chaps (Kevlar is a relative of Nylon, in the plastic world). Technology has come a long way in the last 50 yrs...

There is a lot more technology in that "plastic" 362 saw than you give it credit. from the handles and tanks to the new strato carbs. There is a reason saws are not all metal today, and it is actually a good one, IMHO.

/soapbox exit/

:rock:
:popcorn:

Proper material.
Good quality.
Good engineering.
Good execution.

It all has to happen with plastic or the gas cap will swell shut and the saw will turn a green, orange, red, yellow, black and purplish color.

Proper material.
Good quality.
Good engineering.
Good execution.

It all has to happen with plastic or the gas cap will swell shut and the saw will turn a green, orange, red, yellow, black and purplish color.

Heh. Has to happen with metal too. I've yet to see a metal gas cap seal....Maybe the Model T's used them... But probably not as they don't work great fo that.

There's a reason Stihl uses PA6 or PA6,6 in their fuel components. And I only say that as I only know Stihl so far...

Last edited:
Excellent post davec very informative. I know from trying weld Stihl plastic it's really strong fibrous stuff. I remember HDPE/High-density polyethylene from my automotive paint classes. It's a very common household plastic, that's also good for storing light solvents..:cheers:

The fact of the matter is that there's no more plastic in the 362 than any other pro saw. I've had one apart. Plastic handles are nothing new. I don't see the issue. They don't bend and they're plenty strong. I suspect they'd outlast an aluminum one.

I didn't mention how nice the quick removable top cover is on the 362. I remember someone saying they thought the screws were plastic?.. No plastic. The screws are steel and they fit into a cast and machined holes in the case. They're 1/4 turn, spring loaded and engage a steel cross pin that it pulls down on compressing the heavy spring and locks in place.

The access you get when the cover is off is excellant. Making it easy to clean and inspect areas that you wouldn't have on older saws. Plug and filter access is wide open of course. Very well designed.

I didn't mention how nice the quick removable top cover is on the 362. I remember someone saying they thought the screws were plastic?.. No plastic. The screws are steel and they fit into a cast and machined holes in the case. They're 1/4 turn, spring loaded and engage a steel cross pin that it pulls down on compressing the heavy spring and locks in place.

:monkey: I sense a "flippy cap" type 1/4 turn cover screws suck debate in the months ahead. Spacemule should be all over this one...

Maybe nobody cares...but I'll explain it a bit....

There is a lot more technology in that "plastic" 362 saw than you give it credit. from the handles and tanks to the new strato carbs. There is a reason saws are not all metal today, and it is actually a good one, IMHO.

/soapbox exit/

:rock:
:popcorn:

Thanks for injecting some facts into the debate on the 362. Rep going your way. BTW, did anyone on this thread ever handle or shoot a Glock? That will dispel all folklore about "cheap plastic." There is a Glock 17 that went 100,000 rounds and still works great. The frame is all "polymer" as Glock likes to call it. It is very lightweight, takes fine detail, and is dimensionally stable. Very strong too. You can run over one with a truck, pick it up, and it still shoots.

The exact composition of the "polymer" is a trade secret, but there may be an expert on this site who can make an educated guess of what it is.

My point is that metals are not the only materials out there. If you have specifications on what you want the material to do, chances are that there is a synthetic material or composite that will fill the bill better than a pure metal, especially if light weight is a factor.

Thanks, great review

Country, that is possibly the best saw review I've read online.

Thanks for the scoop on plastics, Davec, that's some interesting stuff. Seems to me if the plastic handles are strong, light, and damp vibration, that makes 'em a feature, not homeowner swill.

I've been trying to decide between a MS362 and a 346XP. I'm tall but my build is far more arborist than lumberjack, so I'm not sure about the 362's weight. I cut mostly hardwood, so I'm not sure about the 346's power. Vibrations set off my CTS, but I don't know how vibes compare between them, if I got the 362, I'd definitely set it up with .325 chain.

Any insights on how the 362 and 346 compare regarding vibration? Hope I'm not thread hijacking, just interested in how these two saws compare on this one point.

Nice saw but , I would remove that 18" bar and put either that 20" or 25" bar from your 441 and give it a nice balance you'll notice the difference even though the 25" might be a little much for the 362.

Nice saw but , I would remove that 18" bar and put either that 20" or 25" bar from your 441 and give it a nice balance you'll notice the difference even though the 25" might be a little much for the 362.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I run an 18" on my 361 and it seems perfect. Personal preference, though.

Wow, nice pics. Very similar build quality to the Husky 235, also plastic handled. Nice entry level homeowner saw...:clap:

Scott

:dizzy:Dude, you are an idiot, plain and simple. Take your trash somewhere else. If you and your pops keep breaking handles, its time to learn how to properly use a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back