“A deal of a lifetime” ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave P 71801

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a very good friend that owns one of the local Stihl dealerships (we have 3) is having to close the doors permanently. He has been forced to be closed for 5 weeks because of an emergency ordinance that basically says that all non essential businesses will be closed till further notice due to the virus. This “emergency ordinance” is bull **** because the Stihl dealership that is owned by the Mayors buddy is considered “essential” and guess who came up with and implemented the “emergency ordinance”
Yep the Mayor. Anyway my friend called me Friday and wanted to see if I was interested in some of his parts inventory and I was like sure so I went over yesterday morning to see what all he had and I noticed a MS-461 non M-tronic that was back in the parts area so I asked what the story was on it he said he filled it up with fuel and bar oil and did the PDI for a customer to pick up and when the customer came back he demanded his money back claiming that the saw was over priced. He said he would make me “A deal of a lifetime” because he needed it gone and he couldn’t send it back to Stihl. Being a non M-tronic I asked how much he told me $750.00 out the door so I grabbed it. I probably should have found out something about the MS-461 I don’t know anything about that model not even what the full price is. I think it was $1000.00 full price is that right? Did I get “A deal of a lifetime” or did I get an expensive doorstop? Is the 461 as good as the 460?
3E2385D7-DD1C-41AF-A7ED-A11F14003E3C.jpegDE73329F-97F3-4C2D-912B-59BB798D86E4.jpeg56AEFA57-61AA-43C3-B309-B32C5EBD74D1.jpeg

That is a deal. Great saw, great price. It looks like a 20" bar. You will probably be moving to a longer bar. I use a 24", and I have a 32" that I use rarely, but the 461 pulls it just fine.

461s are what most all tree services run here(that run Stihl). Proven reliability & tough.

$750 is a good price new

My Stihl dealership is also a J Deere dealer so he is considered an "essential business". Need to stay outside though, customers are not aloowed
in the store.

But I do see other saw shops open in our area too, just can't walk in the store

That's a decent deal on a nice saw.

Also, if all of the facts are as you've presented them your buddy should sue the hell out of the city.

You are 100% correct and he does have a case but he doesn’t have the money to go up against the high dollar lawyers they have

461s are what most all tree services run here(that run Stihl). Proven reliability & tough.

$750 is a good price new

My Stihl dealership is also a J Deere dealer so he is considered an "essential business"

Here the JD dealer also sells Stihl is not essential but the Kubota dealership that also sells Stihl that’s owed by the mayors buddy is essential. Explain that? ****ed up

NO, sorry, it's a Stihl. Your friend just needs to find one that believes his case is strong and wants to make a name for himself and take 50% of damages. One who mayor has rubbed the wrong way from outside of city. If they can smell a win and a nice pay day, they ask for nothing until it's done.

NO, sorry, it's a Stihl. Your friend just needs to find one that believes his case is strong and wants to make a name for himself and take 50% of damages. One who mayor has rubbed the wrong way from outside of city. If they can smell a win and a nice pay day, they ask for nothing until it's done.
This. If there's a case, especially against a government, there WILL be a lawyer...

Just putting it out there if anyone is looking for obsolete parts i might be able to help. Mark has been in business since the late 70’s or the early 80’s I know he has a NOS 090 carb and a NOS 041 piston/cylinder And tons of stuff from the mid 80’s to mid 90’s I would bet he has $40k-50k msrp worth of obsolete parts inventory and another $20k-30k worth of current parts inventory. If there is anything you need send me a pm and I’ll see what I can do the part number would be nice so I don’t have to use the microfiche

Forestry is considered essential in WA. Then again, depending on how you read the “essential” list, most everything is. Businesses supporting that industry must also be essential.

This. If there's a case, especially against a government, there WILL be a lawyer...

I’m hoping so our mayor is a piece of **** when the governor signed that emergency powers thing at the start of all this our mayor went crazy. He made businesses close, laid off anyone in the government offices that would object, demanded the jail release ALL inmates (didn’t happen the sheriff stood up to him) he even made it where they only collect trash once a month. Mark is trying as hard as he can to find someone that will take it totally free on the front end.

Forestry is considered essential in WA. Then again, depending on how you read the “essential” list, most everything is. Businesses supporting that industry must also be essential.

That’s what sensible people would think but the mayor claims because the kubota place carries Stihl as well as many other product lines there is no need to have Marks shop open when he only carries Stihl and just a couple other Forestry specific product lines. I know better it’s because the mayor and the owner of the kubota dealership are buddies. I say Mark should be open because kubota has to order almost everything and Mark has only ever had to order 4 or 5 things I’ve needed.

I know I could put a 8 foot bar on and spin the chain I guess I should have said what is the longest bar can I effectively cut with? and What bar is ideal? We have a mix of wood here everything from cotton wood to red oak and pine to hickory.

I know I could put a 8 foot bar on and spin the chain I guess I should have said what is the longest bar can I effectively cut with? and What bar is ideal? We have a mix of wood here everything from cotton wood to red oak and pine to hickory.
What size wood do you cut?

What size wood do you cut?
Usually i try to stay 18” and below but that’s kinda because before this my big saw was a MS290. Any more I climb for a living and have always either hired a couple guys with big saws as a ground crew or been hired as a climber by a couple guys with big saw and I’ve climbed as big as 75”

Well like you said it will physically pull about any bar you want. IMO it's a little small for stump work but could fill the role occasionally if desired. I had a 460 for a while as my "big" saw. I ran a 20" setup with an eight pin rim and a 28" with a seven. It pulled both very well. From what I understand a 461 is a little bump in hp so a 32" would probably be livable. I'm not familiar with the oiler upgrade details but if it were mine and it was a simple upgrade I'd do it for any size bar. Too much oil is a far lesser issue than not enough.

Latest posts

Back