021 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPeterson09

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I've got an 021 project saw I've taken down and cleaned up. It looks like someone was scraping on the top of the piston with a screwdriver. There's also heated areas on the connecting rod by the roller bearings.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was wondering if this would affect the performance of the saw. I have another parts saw I can lay hands on if need be. I couldn't get a pic of the jug, too narrow, but it looks and feels perfect.

My two cents wouldnt be worth much to you,but never fear,someone will be on here in a few minutes who will help you out.A unbelieveable amount of knowledge on here:)

I would clean up the scratched area on the top of the piston, just to make sure there are no grooves in there. If those scratches are deep enough, they could easily become cracks. A stainless wire wheel in a Dremel should do the trick, or a bead blaster.

Were the rollers also blued? Was there any up and down play in the rod? I do not recall if the last one of those rods I had was blued like that or not, but it might just be heat treating. Either way, that rod is not very expensive.

Well, I just checked prices on the rod and roller bearings. Looks like about $50 for the rod and $20 for the bearings. That saw is probably not worth putting $70 into. There is a guy in the swapmeet with some 025 and MS-250 stuff. You may be able to score an entire engine with more power for the same or less money.

that rod is pretty much shot, look for a used crank and rod assembly on ebay or somewhere else, if you bought it new you could buy a new saw for a few bucks more..

that rod is pretty much shot, look for a used crank and rod assembly on ebay or somewhere else, if you bought it new you could buy a new saw for a few bucks more..

That's a tuffy! I'm not nuts about how that rod is sitting on its shaft in that first picture...... kinda looks like a lot of radial play... maybe no big deal. I had an 021 in which the piston and jug were fine (until the catastrophe). The rod puked out all its roller bearings and really plugged up the works. I saved the jug but not the piston.

If the top end is good, it would probably be no big deal to find a decent used rod and crank setup. If it feels tight and smooth to you, though, I say give it a whirl.

Thanks guys. I have another parts saw a friend of mine said I could have, just was wanting to save myself a 40 mile drive. :) Oil pump out on his, but otherwise ok, so I'll probably pick his old one up next time I'm out his way. I'm not really looking to sink money into this saw, just more of a "hands on" experience before I try anything too complicated.

Well, he has a chainsaw shop and :blush: ...I want to look over his selection and the has been pile :) When I finish this saw, I'll need a new project.

Latest posts

Back