026 for $125 Good Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this saw used for $125, no bar or chain, seems like a good deal?

I this saw fairly comparable to a 346xp?

I found this saw used for $125, no bar or chain, seems like a good deal?

I this saw fairly comparable to a 346xp?

Well it's in the same cc range...50cc
Does it run??
Has it been straight gassed??
What is the compression??
Have you pulled the muffler and looked at the piston??
Does it have good spark??
Is gas getting to the cylinder??
Do all controls and chain brake work properly??
Can you do repairs yourself??
This just the start list to buying a used saw for any amount $$
Ya got to tell us more!!
If you don't know what the above means...ya got to walk away!!
:cheers:
J2F

Guy says it runs, I am thinking of bringing a bar and chain to make sure. I do know what all those things mean but I have to pick it up on a drive through and might not have time to check them all. I'm hoping to make sure it cuts like it should and call that good, budget for some repairs if necessary.

Guy says it runs, I am thinking of bringing a bar and chain to make sure. I do know what all those things mean but I have to pick it up on a drive through and might not have time to check them all. I'm hoping to make sure it cuts like it should and call that good, budget for some repairs if necessary.

If I were in your position...I'd a least check the compression...
maybe take you 2 minutes....
And pull the muffler and look inside with flashlight...5 minutes
Replace plug and muffler...5 minutes...
From the time you drive up maybe 30 minutes top...
To me...for $125 saw...that's the equivalent of $250 an hour.
I just don't want you to get burned...you could probably get your $$ back if you sold it for parts..but that would be a hassle for me
Let us know how this works out!! I wish you good luck!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
budget for some repairs if necessary.

On used saws it always seems to be the case that the fuel lines and fuel filter should be replaced (costs less than $10). I would start with a new spark plug too.

Another thing to check for wear is the sprocket on a used saw. An inexpensive but critical maintenance item that is overlooked by a lot of people.

Being a recent purchaser of a used 028AV, I suggest you make sure it is oiling through the bar hole. They don't make oil pumps for them anymore and functional ones are kind of scarce. Went through three used ones and a new pump piston before getting one that worked properly, even then, it had to have to "modded" to fit as it was from a different year model. Also check the plastic gears that drive the pump.

Last edited:
Final Outcome

I ended up buying the 026 powerhead after running it, I also bought an echo 330t and a 372xp powerhead from the guy all for $350 I think it was maybe 4. I didn't really do the checks I should have on the saws, but I ran them all. I asked if there was anything wrong with them and the seller answered with a semi-telling "they all run good". I figured if I could get two of them running well without too much money in them I'd make out all right.

330t ran like a champ and still does, not the best top handle, but I like the ergonomics and for the amount I use a saw at height it does the trick.

372xp kind of worked me a little. First thing I found was the tensioner screw had been backed all the way out the plastic and was useless and not repairable, so that was a new clutch cover. Got that on and put it to wood and it had no torque. Used a buddies compression tester and I think it was originally at 120psi. New decomp valve brought it to about 130. Tore down the top end (all new to me) and found a gap of a few millimeters between the rings to be the issue. New rings brought it up to 150 right away. I tore apart everything but the crankcase to clean it and further my education of the workings of a chainsaw. Back together and now it rips.

026 had great compression, but a worn .325 spur sprocket that I decided to replace with a spur and go .375. I didn't get to it until just today and wish I had before its a great running little saw, tons of compression and good acceleration.

Now I have three running saws and an education in 2 stroke engine maintenance. This site was a great help for that and now I know what to look for next time I go look for a used saw.

That was a great deal. Good job getting them all running too. That is the kind of deal I always look for, you definately wound up with more value than you have into them!

Latest posts

Back