028 Stihl Super Woods Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Purchased this saw back in the 80's. It's been a good one. Other than bars, chains, filters and such I've replaced a cylinder and piston. Yesterday my 034 went down early so I broke out the ole 28. A few hours later DONE. :rock:

Picture076.jpg

Wouldn't part with my old 028 AV Super fer anything.

Know what you mean.

LAH - Although I have not had mine as long, I sometimes grab it instead of the 361. Plus it makes a great backup saw, got about $125 in it. Had it out a few weeks ago after I upgraded to the rim sprocket, works great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
ill take my 290 farmboss over a rancher anyday

Good to hear! I just bought an 028 Super this week ... It is my first saw! I hope it lasts me.

Good to hear! I just bought an 028 Super this week ... It is my first saw! I hope it lasts me.

Used mine off and on for 'bout 25 years. The lot I now sell wood from probably wouldn't hold the oak it's cut. So the saw is durable. Hope you have a long relationship with yours.

It's suprising what you can accomplish with a <50 cc saw and sharp chain. When the weight is down and the balance is good you can work quite a while without beating yourself up getting it done.
:cheers:

It's suprising what you can accomplish with a <50 cc saw and sharp chain. When the weight is down and the balance is good you can work quite a while without beating yourself up getting it done.
:cheers:

So true. I'm 58 and not quite as spry as once so the weight of a saw is important. I looked at a couple 066's yesterday and the thought goes through your head: That would make short work of those logs laying out there but then I pick on up and wonder how often I'd have to take a break.

I've run the 034 steady for the last 6 months both on and off the job. It was a little heavy along 'bout 3PM but my body did fine with it. But Tuesday when the I placed the 034 back in the case and picked up the 028, it felt like a toy. But like you said, it was sharp and by boring and back cutting yon side I was able to cut this load only sharping 3 times.

The 028 isn't the be all, end all of saws but for the average firewood/homeowner guy it's up there with the best of them.

It may not cure cancer, but is SUPER!

I have had the AV 028 Super since about 1979/80 and I use it as my main saw to cut 8-10 cord a year. Other than a couple bars, a sprocket and bearings, chain tensioner and normal maintenance it has run reliably for 28 years and cut about 252 cord of firewood.

They named this one SUPER for a good reason!

LAH we agree on at least a couple of things: SUPER it is and on the weight issue. I have been burning wood for heat for 31 years. I am 52 yrs. old, have hurt back and elbow and knees before and in last 2years saw weight is an issue. I will sacrifice some speed to get something I can handle. I was looking at new Stihl's and comparing the 361 ( cancer curing saw) to the 260 Pro. I am sure the 361 is faster, but the weight of the 260 Pro would be better on the joints.

I looked a 260 Pro over at my friends shop. Looks like a great all round firewood saw for those who don't cut giant rounds. Looks perfect for cutting limbs and most anything else in the 16" range.
Picture079.jpg

wow that's a load of wood on that trailer. Those poor tires. How much wood you got on there? Is that a 12' or 14' . Only reason I ask , I am finishing building an 18' trailer with 2' sides around it trying to figure out how much I will be able to haul.

Not trying to change the thread
Beefie:cheers:

The trailer is 12 foot, the sides are 22 inches. Be advised I will only move this load to the other end of the lot. There the splitter will be positioned directly at the end & the rounds will be processed.

For highway use the rounds are stacked even with the side boards & slightly higher in the center. My 98 Chevy K1500 uses a 305 engine & that's really all she wants in the hills of WV. :)

I know you guys love wood so I'll end the thread with this.

Picture147.jpg

The above trailer load is now split and the 6 tandem loads below I began with are all cut, split & mostly sold.
Picture009.jpg

We are preparing a new job and the boss asked if I could take about 15 loads over the next few weeks. Makes my hands hurt. :rock:

Back