028 Super in a Bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup thats what i call it. i think i know what its real name is. its a bucking spike or felling spike either or i spose

hsclaw.jpg

I have lots of these H & S claws on my saws. bet lots of other people do to
but dont know it.

they made many shapes and sizes for many models. Some are pretty freaky looking like randys 8-29.

I have a NOS one with the decal but cant find the pic.

way to go jacob. :arg: high jack garys skinny little 28 thread with your BIG CHUBBY jony rod saw.

hey jake, did you just get a camera?? I cant remember you posting any pics in last few years:D

I like to fly below the radar... :Eye:

I have lots of these H & S claws on my saws. bet lots of other people do to
but dont know it.

they made many shapes and sizes for many models. Some are pretty freaky looking like randys 8-29.

I have a NOS one with the decal but cant find the pic.

Ric- those H&S dawgs are cool! :drool:

I have a bunch of the big H&S dawgs for the Mac 125s, including some real monsters (One set has 5 teeth is around 12" long.) I'll bring some up, maybe you can trade me a set for muh Homie... :)

So... back on topic with this 028 Super in a bucket... :)

So I have my rings, new fuel, and impulse lines... and I'm wonderin' about the cylinder base gasket. The one that was on there is was destroyed... I have some thinner gasket material that I can make my own, or maybey even go with no gasket and a thin film of high temp RTV... Yes? No?

I can probably get another base gasket, but am just curious. I've never put a saw back together without a base gasket in it.

Gary

Gary,..you can go with something as simple as Permatex for a sealer on the base. I use copper but others use the black gasket maker, still others swear you need to use one of the Three Bond,Yamma Bond, Honda Bond etc. Always a good idea to check the squish clearance before bolting the cylinder down for good.
Pioneerguy600

As long as the squish measures within tolerance you should be fine to run without a gasket. Solid saw those 028's. :givebeer:

So... back on topic with this 028 Super in a bucket... :)

So I have my rings, new fuel, and impulse lines... and I'm wonderin' about the cylinder base gasket. The one that was on there is was destroyed... I have some thinner gasket material that I can make my own, or maybey even go with no gasket and a thin film of high temp RTV... Yes? No?

I can probably get another base gasket, but am just curious. I've never put a saw back together without a base gasket in it.

Gary

Either way Gary, just make sure to check the squish without the gasket and make sure its not too tight. Usually .020 is a good number, but you can go a little tighter on a smaller saw. DONT use RTV though, you need some Dirko, Yamabond, Hondabond. Or send it to me for some machine work!

Will

Wow Gary you musta been busy. This thread is close to a year old. I know the feeling I have a few on the bench that have been there for a few months. Keep us updated with build and pics.

Yeah Scott... I am finally getting around to this little powerhouse... no mods... just a re-ring, a carb rebuild, and a spruce up, plus new bar and chain. It will become my main Elk/Deer camp saw.

Gary

Last edited:
The 041 went back to my bro-in-law... it was a lost cause... so he is gonna use it for parts since he got another one.

The gloves? when doing stuff like brakes and bearings on my trucks they come in handy.

Anyways... here the little sucker is... cuts great. I got a base gasket, Stihl ES bar and full comp chain all off the shelf from Wood's Logging Supply. Love that shop!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a pic with the new addition sitting next to his big brothers the 041 Super, and the legend 044. :)

attachment.php

One more project down... about 100 to go! :laugh:

Gary

Great work Gary.
Glad to see you stuck with this project and got it going. Those 028's are great runners and are pretty peppy.

I use latex gloves all the time when I rebuild carbs. Save from the wife yelling at me because my hands smell like gas for 3 days.

Nice work gary. I've liked all the 028's I've had my hands on and I'm sure you'll like that super. Are you running a 20" 3/8" bar on it?

Ok cool...now you just need an 038 super or magnum bucket saw. So you can fill the generation in between your 041 super and your 044 ;).

Latest posts

Back