028 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDriveSprocket

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sold a guy a 028 super 5 years ago and got a phone call from him last night. Said the saw would not shut off. Grounding wire was broke. Easy fix. When I sell a saw I tell them if they have problems to give me a call. He loves the saw and when I said to take a look at this 026 I have for sale he said no I like the 028 so much just fix it. I`m surprised I sold the saw because it was and still is in great condition. I must have needed the cash at the time.

I really liked my 028, but sold it a few years ago. Very well built saws, couldnt say enough good about them.. Found another that caught my eye, and brought it home to stay. I have noticed the resale value on the 028's (which has been low in the past IMO) getting stronger and stronger, especially the supers. One of the most under rated saws out there in my opinion.

Just yesterday I finished assembling an 028 Super my nephew brought me in a dish pan highly disassembled. I had "most" of the parts and only one "extra" part which caused some serious head scratching. Finally determined it was off some other Stihl saw. He only has two saws and one is a Craftsman 3.4.

Anyway, after I got it running, it wouldn't shut off (most of the time). I checked the switch area and what I finally determined is that the solder connection of the wire to the brass ferrule was loose. (the wire that goes into the ferrule that goes into the switch assembly)

I soldered it and problem solved. Saw works perfectly now. They are older but a really good 50cc saw. I have one as well and just sharpened it up this evening getting it ready for the takedown of a large dead oak. The saw is pretty complex under the hood but well constructed. Just not all that easy to work on.

Just yesterday I finished assembling an 028 Super my nephew brought me in a dish pan highly disassembled. I had "most" of the parts and only one "extra" part which caused some serious head scratching. Finally determined it was off some other Stihl saw. He only has two saws and one is a Craftsman 3.4.

Anyway, after I got it running, it wouldn't shut off (most of the time). I checked the switch area and what I finally determined is that the solder connection of the wire to the brass ferrule was loose. (the wire that goes into the ferrule that goes into the switch assembly)

I soldered it and problem solved. Saw works perfectly now. They are older but a really good 50cc saw. I have one as well and just sharpened it up this evening getting it ready for the takedown of a large dead oak. The saw is pretty complex under the hood but well constructed. Just not all that easy to work on.

The 028's are built to last that is for sure. Dang, I think the 028's are one of the easiest saws to work on. Simple straight forward design.

:cheers:

Back