028 vs. 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmosabi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a choice between a 028wb elect stop and an 039. I would say that the 039 is newer and had quite a few less hours on it. I just do small woodlot type stuff...what are the pros/cons for each saw?

Both are good saws, What do you mean when you say small woodlot stuff, are you cutting hardwood, softwood, cleaning up or are you doing firewood??

The 028 is a lighter saw than 039, good saw for doing limbing, cutting small diameter hardwood trees 6" to 14", the 028 is a good saw with good chain speed but leaves a little to be desired as far as torque on the bottom end when you bury the bar in a piece of wood or in a stump.

The 039 is heavier of course, not a speed demon but has a decent amount of torgue for doing work heavier than what I described for the 028. If your cutting hardwood for firewood the 39 would be a better choice. On the other side of the coin go for the 028 if your doing a lot of softwood, if the saw checks out good. 028's are kinda hard to kill if they have had good care, but that is not saying there aren't lemons out there.

Hope this helps a little

Larry

Last edited:
Having run both, I'd opt for the 039. I don't mind a little more weight, and I think the 039 gets a bad rap here. I usually will grab the 046 for cutting, and the 28 feels like a toy, and cuts much slower. the 039 is a decent saw, its a firewood saw, but still a decent saw.
-Ralph

The few times I've used an 028 I was impressed with how heavy it is for the size and power level.  Couldn't hope to advise which one of the two saws to get with the amount of information provided regarding the intended usage.

glens said:
Couldn't hope to advise which one of the two saws to get with the amount of information provided regarding the intended usage.

Why not?
It's not like the 2 choices were 088 and 017!
You cut firewood and limb with both of them. Neither will go out and cut down redwoods. Neither are big time pro saws, built to last forever and pull 42" bars. just basic homeowner saws. small woodlot stuff to me means limbs, and occasional smaller tree. Either will work, but for close to the same $$$, I'll go 039 every time.
I don't get why you need to know exact diameters, and species, hot or cold weather, chain pitch an all that.

ms280 3.31ci, 3.6hp16-20"bar
ms390 3.9ci, 4.3hp16-28" bar
that stihl published figures, both listed as mid-range saws.

I personally wouldn't go over 18" b&c on the 28, running .325 pitch
and wouldn't go over 20" b&c on the 39, running 3/8
-Ralph

The MS280 <i>is not</i> the successor to the 028, which has less displacement and greater weight than the 026 (028 AV, 028 AV type 2, 028 Woodboss)

If the "small woodlot work" predominantly involves whole trees 18-24" diameter, I'd probably say the 039.&nbsp; If the work involves predominantly small trees and/or a lot of tops, then the 028.&nbsp; Heavy as it is for its size, it would still be safer and more productive in that role than the larger saw.&nbsp; This really is a tough call.

Heads or tails?

saws

The 028 is getting some age. Great saw, but are you prepared to spend money on repairs? Age gets to the best of saws. If I have any serious wood to cut, I am getting a newer saw.
039, newer, heavier, more power.
What do you have more of to do, felling and blocking or tops?
My suggestion, the 039 and look for a smaller saw. 021, 023, 025.
I cut all my wood (yes, I quit 2 years ago), 20 cord a year, with an 034 (bucking and felling) and an 009 (tops). The saws complimented each other very well.

I have an 039. I have dropped a couple trees on it and ran over the bar with the tractor and it still runs. My only complaint is it sometimes is very hard to turn over. It starts real good, just hard to pull. I haven't looked into it, maybe the pull rope is too short. I got it used. I have a husky 61 and a Homelite 360, both similar size, and they pull considerably easier. Maybe it's just higher compression being a newer saw.

Latest posts

Back