028Change old points/condenser style to electronic ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macs woodshop

macs woodshop

ArboristSite Lurker
Older style 028 Woodboss, no chain brake, points/condenser. Can I change to electronic by installing electronic coil from newer style 028? Would have to change flywheel also?? I see some of these parts on ebay for pretty cheap. Would they fit the older 028? I know there are electronic chips available also. assume they do the same job. Just wondering if the newer parts would fit the older serial number , and would the flywheel also have to change/ would newer type flywheel fit?DSC01570.JPG

KYsawman

KYsawman

Mr XL-12
I just did this swap on my 028. I removed all points junk under flywheel and old coil. The old flywheel will work. Any coil from newer 028 will work and a lot of others. The new coil part number is Stihl 0000 400 1300. I used an aftermarket from little red barn and it lasted for a hour of running. I bought an oem one and it has been great.

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
The MS290 coil will work, the part #0000-400-1300 is used on a number of other Stihl saws as well (026, 044 etc). There are usually plenty of these coils floating around on Ebay. You will need to make sure you have the right wire set up for the kill switch etc to go with it -- depending on how your saw is set up.

macs woodshop

macs woodshop

ArboristSite Lurker
Just leave the flywheel alone, clip the wire to the points, and hook up the kill wire to the terminal off of a coil off of a used 029/ms290/00004001300 coil, bolt it on and go.
The 0000 400 1300 coil was used on many saw models starting with the 028...
Excellent info, thanks guys. That part number info makes it a lot easier to search for the right thing.