029 super vs 361/362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styles038

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been wondering what the fascination with the 361/362 is all about opposed to the 029 super? I have never ran a 361 or 362 but they have the same cc motor. I don't see many people talking about the 029 super compared to the many 361/362 threads out there. Is it just that people have updated to those models? Was the 029 super inferior in some way? Tell me what i'm missing. :popcorn:

I have been wondering what the fascination with the 361/362 is all about opposed to the 029 super? I have never ran a 361 or 362 but they have the same cc motor. I don't see many people talking about the 029 super compared to the many 361/362 threads out there. Is it just that people have updated to those models? Was the 029 super inferior in some way? Tell me what i'm missing. :popcorn:

VERY INFERIOR....

Not even close in performance...

But they are 2 totally different animals...

The 029/290 is a heavy, lunker, homeowner, slow, plastic saw...

the 361/362 is a thing of beauty..:msp_wub:..a fully commercial, rocket, chainsaw...

there, that should let you know where I stand...

you cant compare the 2 really...

I appreciate the info. We are talking about the 029 SUPER, correct? Both 60cc class saws and the 361/362 was lightning faster than the 029 SUPER??? Heavier, plasticier, maybe??? I haven't handled the latter saw, so I don't know. I'll take your word. But faster?

Not even in the same class... the 029 Super isn't know for it's "super" prowess...

However... the 361/362 series of saws is a pro saw with a pro price. So if you're an occasional cutter and not making a living with a saw, and the 029 Super is in decent shape. It will be just fine.

Gary

I appreciate the info. We are talking about the 029 SUPER, correct? Both 60cc class saws and the 361/362 was lightning faster than the 029 SUPER??? Heavier, plasticier, maybe??? I haven't handled the latter saw, so I don't know. I'll take your word. But faster?

Yes...with more power....

I have a 029 SUPER and have been cutting with it for over 10 years. Never had the need for much more. I used to cut only a cord or two a year. This year I already have 5 cords cut and split and I imagine it will be 8-10 by his fall.

I wouldn't mind updating (maybe a 362) and adding another saw to the mix. A 70-80cc class saw would be nice. I have run into a few BIG oak that straight line winds took down that I just couldn't touch with what I have.

I have a trusted person (you all would know him) that says that a 029S is comparable to a 310. I have a muff modded 310 and a stock 361. The 310 is as fast as the 361. Weight? Ehhh, the 310 can't pass up a second round of the AYCE Ryans buffet.

In terms of build, the 362/362's are easier to tear apart. In terms of durability, the 1127 series (029/039/290/310/390) are well proven and durable. In terms of handling, the 361 is about 1lb lighter, the 362 is probably pretty close in weight to the 1127's. I am not sold on the 362 bc the step up in power is not great (small power increase spread over a broader range) and the additional weight detracts from one of the qualities of the 361. If you have an 029S and are considering a 361, I would open the muffler and then decide.

If you have an 029S and are considering a 361, I would open the muffler and then decide.

I did a MM on it this winter. Opened it up a bit. I didn't go drastically big on the holes, but I could feel the difference. Your saying my MM 029S is basically running like a 361 would?

From what I have been told by someone who is respected here and an authority of sorts on this series, the porting of the 029S puts its power output at about the same level of the 310. My MM310 will buck with a 361 (stock) all day long (and sound better doing it). I have never run a 029S myself. Maybe you need to open your muffler up some more.

I will tell you something from real world experience... I wont knock the 361/2, but I have seen a 029 Super beat a 036 more than once. It wasnt a fluke, Ive seen it with other 029 Supers, and multiple 036s (14"> wood). (I am comparing it to the 036, because it has similar displacement/ performance as the 361/2.
The 029S is a great saw, just know that the price difference is on par with its construction. I would say the 361/2 may be twice the saw, but at twice the price.

I wouldnt hesitate to own another, if you ca get your hands on one try it out. They receive a lot of BS here, most from those who have never used or owned one (just a guess)- but I think they are one of the best saws that you can buy for the money.

I have a 029 SUPER .

I wouldn't mind updating (maybe a 362) and adding another saw to the mix. A 70-80cc class saw would be nice. I have run into a few BIG oak that straight line winds took down that I just couldn't touch with what I have.

Wait a minute. Updating to a 362 and than to a 70-80cc?

Skip the 362 and go to the 460 and keep the 029 or add the 261.

Have you thought about a bucket truck??:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back