031 new one on me?????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her we go!!!!

So it is all back together and I pull and I pull no go.. So I pull the plug funny no gas smell?? Wait it should be flooded but no gas??

Ok please remember this was brought to me in pieces in a walmart bag and I was told there was no spark...So I put a little mix in the cylinder and 3 pulls it is running..

So I think lets check the filter...

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

DSC045702.jpg

I have not seen one like this before... O and there is no fuel getting through it!!!

Inside the tank there is something like clay.. Any tricks to flushing it out???

DSC04573.jpg

So I don't know when I will be able to make it to the shop for some new fuel lines and filter but I will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks again for all your help...

and your point being?
kick brother in-law in taint

gas, swish around
empty and repeat
till it is clean

Are you missing the top trigger too? I will ship one to you.

Thanks for the offer,let me see what happens tomorrow.....

Glad to hear you have it running!!!! That tank needs a cleaning!!!

Thanks for your time and parts!!!!!!

and your point being?
kick brother in-law in taint

gas, swish around
empty and repeat
till it is clean

"kick brother in-law in taint" Sounds like a plan :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

glad to hear it is running.
no gas was the cause the second time around.....
what caused the lack of spark on your first attempt?

I most not have been testing properly????

I think it was a lack of fuel from the start... I was told no spark so I looked for no spark and found a few things wrong along the way...

Once I finish flushing out the tank and new lines and filter I bet I have to rebuild the carb.....

Ok I got a new filter today but it will be some time before I get all the crud out...

The tank is messed up...

Is there anything stronger the gas ?????

Glad that you got some spark. What I do is put some bb's in there with some straight gas and swish it around. Make sure you count the bb's before you put them in. It helps not the varnished oil and fuel off the tank. If you can't find them use a magnet to try to find the loose one. Make sure you put a kit in there for the carb. I'm sure it's varnished up too.

Glad that you got some spark. What I do is put some bb's in there with some straight gas and swish it around. Make sure you count the bb's before you put them in. It helps not the varnished oil and fuel off the tank. If you can't find them use a magnet to try to find the loose one. Make sure you put a kit in there for the carb. I'm sure it's varnished up too.

Ok I will try that too....

I have another carb on backup :wink:

Ok so tonight's update....

Tank looks, great I used a few nuts because I have no bb's.....

New filter and lines and I try to start it... No go I'm not surprised to find the carb plugged... Ok I have a known good 031 carb so I throw it in.. Still no go??

Put some mix in the head and it fires right up then stalls....

I guess I will look harder at the carbs tomorrow...

Wife is not happy I spent our 8th anniversary in the shop :buttkick:

make sure you check your metering lever.

I second that one. The one I just finished pulled a similar trick. I pulled the carb (3) times and tore it apart, each time I adjusted the metering lever a tad bit. I finally found the "sweet" spot and it came to life and ran great. I was on the verge of rebuilding a second carb. Make sure it's dead even w/ the sides.

Ok I have the carb apart and soaking....

The metering lever was not level with the side...

So how do I achieve this???

I just hold down the other end and ever so carefully bend the lever which ever direction it needs to go until it sits level. I used a wide tip screw driver as a "gauge". Just let the tip rest on each side. That's how i did it. Some of these other guys may know a better way. I am going to order the Walbro/Zama gauges from the bay when I get a chance.

I have gone threw the carb.. It appears nice and clean inside.. I bet the last guy put in a kit..

Anyway the lever did need to be adjusted.. I think I got it where it needs to be..

Now when I get time we will see if it worked...

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Cleaning the carb and resetting the metering lever seems to have got it!!!!!

Thanks to all involved with this one!!

Pic's and a video to come... I need to finish setting the carb...:kilt:

Had her out for a few minutes today..

Man these old 031's start easy like two pulls from cold...

Anyway fitted a 18 inch Stihl E bar today and hope to cut some wood tomorrow....

Latest posts

Back