031 new one on me?????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped the switch off the end of the wire and still no spark...

So what new a new coil?????

Take flywheel back off and doublecheck your work. If it all looks good maybe wima should be looked at. Try a different plug. How are you checking for spark? Get someone to hold the spark plug wire while you pull it over and see if they get shocked.Did you say it had spark before you started this project? :)

Make sure a lead did not break off the wima during the install, those are kinda fragile and I broke one horsing it into place. I sent you an extra in case, just need to solder the leads. Re-check points, make sure gap is OK.

Pete

Ok had the wrong plug and have the right one now still no spark tho..

I am testing by holding the plug against the cylinder as I turn it over....Not easy but I can do it...

I will as soon as I can pull the flywheel and start all over...

More to come...

DSC04520.jpg

First of all check the wima terminal, it almost looks like the left one could be grounding to the case in the picture. Also I wonder if your adhesive could coduct across the terminals, also effectively grounding it. Unlikely, but a chance.

I always check my spark by putting a plug into the plug wire (but not screwed into the cylinder), grab the plug terminal end in my fist, put the index finger of the same hand on the metal cylinder, and pull it over with my other hand. If it makes you jump the spark is most likely good, if it just tingles, the spark is probably too weak. A bit redneck I know, but that is how I roll.

Could be the coil. Check this out. Did you say you replaced the coil wire? I would double check that too. Best thing to do is leave it alone for a day or two, and come back to it a little less irritated by it.

Thanks,,,

I tore it apart today and looked it all over real good...

The wima was fine not broken off and no the wires were not grounding out...

Wondering if I had the gap right??

I can see nothing wrong so tomorrow I will start over and see what happens...

Ok today I have replaced the WIMA,, I also replaced the wires...

I made sure nothing is grounding out or rubbing on anything...

I have to run to work for a few hours and need to pick up something to glue this in place.. Any recommendations on adhesive????

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04568.jpg

DSC04567.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

What are you setting the points to? I think it is supposed to be 0.016".

Hijacked thread alert....

I am looking to buy a dead 031av coil. I want to try to rebuild it. I would prefer to buy at least 2 from one seller....

$15 for one coil $20 for 2 coils....shipped.

I will post the rebuild process with pics here on this site. We have certainly all gained from my reverse engineering of the condenser (wima)....so help me out and send me a coil to reverse engineer.

Did you check the coil resistance? You should get about 1 ohm on the primary (points terminal to ground with the points open) and 6.5k to 8k ohms on the secondary (spark plug lead to ground).

What are you setting the points to? I think it is supposed to be 0.016".

Hijacked thread alert....

I am looking to buy a dead 031av coil. I want to try to rebuild it. I would prefer to buy at least 2 from one seller....

$15 for one coil $20 for 2 coils....shipped.

I will post the rebuild process with pics here on this site. We have certainly all gained from my reverse engineering of the condenser (wima)....so help me out and send me a coil to reverse engineer.

I think I have one sitting on my bench.... Came from a saw with points..

Here we go!!!!

So it is all back together and I pull and I pull no go.. So I pull the plug funny no gas smell?? Wait it should be flooded but no gas??

Ok please remember this was brought to me in pieces in a walmart bag and I was told there was no spark...So I put a little mix in the cylinder and 3 pulls it is running..

So I think lets check the filter...

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

DSC045702.jpg

I have not seen one like this before... O and there is no fuel getting through it!!!

Inside the tank there is something like clay.. Any tricks to flushing it out???

DSC04573.jpg

So I don't know when I will be able to make it to the shop for some new fuel lines and filter but I will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks again for all your help...

Last edited:
I will trade you a well used fuel line assembly for a dead coil. The fuel line assembly will have a brand new filter....

I just checked, and despite looking rough, the fuel line holds pressure.

I will ship you the line/filter and upon successful completion of the project, you can ship me the dead coil.....

Or, you can just find one on your own. I just thought I would throw the deal out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back