034 to 036 - What plastic top mods required?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I know from Bailey's that I can bolt an 036 replacement P/C directly on to my 034. BUT, they tell me that there will need to be some "slight" modifications to the top plastic cover.

What is involved in the "slight" modifications to make this switch?

The target saw is an 034, not an 034 super.

So I know from Bailey's that I can bolt an 036 replacement P/C directly on to my 034. BUT, they tell me that there will need to be some "slight" modifications to the top plastic cover.

What is involved in the "slight" modifications to make this switch?

The target saw is an 034, not an 034 super.

I contemplated upgrading my 034 to an 036 on more than one occasion. I ultimately ended up buying another saw....ms460. My 034 is a great saw and the small gain I would get changing out the cylinder and piston kept me from going down that path. Now if your 034 is tired and the compression is low or not a good runner in general, then I would go for it.

The 036 cylinder that has the decomp has bigger fins to compensate for the fin area lost in the decomp area. These longer fins extend enough to interfere with the plastics on the non decomp saws. Try to find a cylinder for an 036 without the decomp and you'll be ok. Otherwise get ready to do some modifications. I suppose you could trim the fins instead of the plastic. I ran into the situation once and since it was a customer's saw, I just used the piston from the kit and cleaned up his old cylinder.

Grind the top fins down and trim some plastic on the underside of the 034 cover and it should fit. Loss of cooling but you can run the saw a little richer through the carb to compensate. Use synthetic oil and you'll be fine. Also keep in mind that the 034 and 036 ran different mufflers (depth to the cylinder is different) so you'll need to buy a new AM muffler for the 036 cylinder. If you put on 036/360 plastics on you'll need an 036 air filter too since the locking mech on the carb covers is different. You will also need the 036 carb studs that are longer so you can reach the air filter nuts (036/360 air filter is thicker).

034 is a great 18" 3/8 back up the the 361. I'd just leave it be too.

Back