038 AV Super Electronic, should I exhaust mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
Hey fellas. . . . I just acquired a 038 AV Super Electronic. It runs nice (After I tuned her), and seems to cut the wood with plenty of torque. It has a 20" bar and full comp chain. Will this old gal take to an exhaust mod? . . . Or would I be wasting my time?

I know Lakeside said the 036 was a low rev saw, but is the 038?

The UL sticker reads 311Y, with an ANSI stamp of 1985. . . . So it's at least that old.

Thanks guyz.:greenchainsaw:

i haven't run an 038 much,but it should do well
with muff mod,most do,retune after mod should
be 13,500 maybe someone else will have more specifics:greenchainsaw:

Thanks husky298, I'd like to do the mod tomorrow, but I should wait to get a little more info on the saw.:)

Hey fellas. . . . I just acquired a 038 AV Super Electronic. It runs nice (After I tuned her), and seems to cut the wood with plenty of torque. It has a 20" bar and full comp chain. Will this old gal take to an exhaust mod? . . . Or would I be wasting my time?

I know Lakeside said the 036 was a low rev saw, but is the 038?

The UL sticker reads 311Y, with an ANSI stamp of 1985. . . . So it's at least that old.

Thanks guyz.:greenchainsaw:

038 mufflers aren't real restrictive imo you won't see much gain in doing a muffler mod. Yes the 038's are a real low rev saw.

I think there are two types of mufflers on the 038. Mine has this kind (Pictures curtosey of Cbailey). My dads 038 is a newer saw, and has the more restrictive muffler

Old style
038muffler.jpg

New style (more restrictive)
038newmuffler.jpg

Last edited:
I knew the general rule was "older saw, less restriction". . . . But it never hurts to ask. I may just open her up a few %, and see what happens. If she blows. . . . It gives me a good excuse to get a new saw.;)

Thanks for all your comments!

Stihl made a dual port and a three port factory muffler. They show up on fleabay occasionally.
That's what I did for an MS380 and kept the original for what ever reason, not sure why!:dizzy:

That "newer" looking 038 muffler looks like one of the clones.. not Stihl..

The Super had a dual port muffler; the magnum a triple. The original 038 is the older looking muffler.

If you want to be really confused.. here's all the options. Not all available in the USA.

attachment.php

The lower right is the magnum.

Last edited:
038 mufflers aren't real restrictive imo you won't see much gain in doing a muffler mod. Yes the 038's are a real low rev saw.
Speak for yourself.I have one in the shed that might show things in a different light.;)

Now where is old Wojo? He usually jumps on the band wagon about muffler mods .

Does the 3 port magnum muffler flow enough or will a saw benefit much from opening up that too?

Is the magnum muffler still available from stihl?

The three port muffler is quite open... and loud. This was a PNW "mod" for the factory (like the 056M2) and way before the EPA or OSHA knew there were saws.

If you want to improve the 038M, graft on a decent air filter.

Yes, it's still available (at least at Stihl NW)... but sit down... $99... Plenty of used muffers around. The cheap clone mufflers, with just one set of slits in the right front cover (like a bigger 028 muffler) are really wimpy.

i have the 038 magII. it has the factory ported muff. the thing you would be better doing is change the bar and chain. i say 24" bar Full skip non safety chain and lower the riders a few thous and enjoy. the saw will wake up a lot when it dont have so many teeth to drag throu wood.
cheers mates:cheers:

The Super had a dual port muffler; the magnum a triple. The original 038 is the older looking muffler.

If you want to be really confused.. here's all the options. Not all available in the USA.

attachment.php

My 038 AVS Farm Boss had the middle left muffler with just the 2 slits and was very quiet and restrictive I pulled the jug on that saw and widened the intake a little and widened and polished the exhaust port opened the muffler to about 85% and that thing is a screamer (slow it aint). Kinda regret giving it back to my dad now. Not sure how much of it was due to the muffler mod but I would say that most of the gain was made with the muffler. I guess it just depends on which muffler you are starting with as to how much it would help.

It doesn't take much to pep up an 038 muffler in spite of what some people say.

Get out the old die grinder with a cut-off wheel and remove the inner cage contraption.Remove about half the cage on the outer cover,open the little hole thing up a tad.Screen in,screen out,your choice.Open the outer slot a tad,richen up the high speed jet,cut wood.

They get a little louder but that's what they make ear plugs for,ya know.

All a muffler job does is to allow the engine to breath better,air/fuel in,power out.Keep in mind however that you need a certain amount of back pressure to work correctly.Unlike some things,bigger to extremes , is not always better.

Back