038 AV Super Electronic, should I exhaust mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speak for yourself.I have one in the shed that might show things in a different light.;)

I agree Al my 038 wasn't slow either. Not sure what the RPM spec. is but I'm thinking it's around 13,000 or 13,500.

Now where is old Wojo? He usually jumps on the band wagon about muffler mods .

Can't believe it's taken this long, I suspect he'll be along shortly.

Can't believe it's taken this long, I suspect he'll be along shortly.
I wonder if anybody ponies up 75 bucks for a muffler cover with a cute little pipe sticking out the side.

If so,perhaps the old boy needs some competition .Heaven knows I have a bunch of tubing and lots of gas in my torchs.:hmm3grin2orange:

I have the muffler that is pictured in the upper left corner of the examples that Lakeside/Andy sent earlier. It is a brand new take off from my MS380 from Brazil that I never even started with it on. I bought a factory dual port off ebay. Since it's from Brazil it has no arrestor screens. Let me know if you want it, we can work something out, it's not doing me any good sitting on a shelf.
Jay

I wonder if anybody ponies up 75 bucks for a muffler cover with a cute little pipe sticking out the side.

If so,perhaps the old boy needs some competition .Heaven knows I have a bunch of tubing and lots of gas in my torchs.

LOL!

I have the muffler that is pictured in the upper left corner of the examples that Lakeside/Andy sent earlier. It is a brand new take off from my MS380 from Brazil that I never even started with it on. I bought a factory dual port off ebay. Since it's from Brazil it has no arrestor screens. Let me know if you want it, we can work something out, it's not doing me any good sitting on a shelf.
Jay
Funny you should mention that.I have an 038 mag setting on my work bench,as I type.It was made in Brazil but has a spark screen.

If so,perhaps the old boy needs some competition .Heaven knows I have a bunch of tubing and lots of gas in my torchs.:hmm3grin2orange:

I've thought the same thing before Al. :laugh:

There is USA models made in Brazil for export, and models made for the South American markets

Andy,
Not that assuming is ever a good thing, but I guess mine was made for the South American market? If so, I wonder how it found it's way up here.
I have the original box and it is certainly not printed with anything English on the outside. Again I assume, it must be in either the indigenous Brazilian language of Portuguese or perhaps Spanish. I know I can't detect any quality difference between it and German manufactured saws. I'm sure they must have stringent Q.A. guide lines like any of their other manufacturing facilities. It also runs extremely well.

The Brazil manufacturing is very bit as good as that of the USA or Germany.. that's how Stihl does it...

I don't know the exact numbers, but the last couple of years of USA 038M were made in Brazil - not Germany.

85%

My 038 AVS Farm Boss had the middle left muffler with just the 2 slits and was very quiet and restrictive I pulled the jug on that saw and widened the intake a little and widened and polished the exhaust port opened the muffler to about 85% and that thing is a screamer (slow it aint). Kinda regret giving it back to my dad now. Not sure how much of it was due to the muffler mod but I would say that most of the gain was made with the muffler. I guess it just depends on which muffler you are starting with as to how much it would help.

Erick, What do you mean when you say you opened it up 85% I have that same muffler, Iam more comfortabe drilling holes, If that wood work,.. that way I know how much Ive opened it, Also If drilling holes or cutting slots, Where? Thanks Eric

Erick, What do you mean when you say you opened it up 85% I have that same muffler, Iam more comfortabe drilling holes, If that wood work,.. that way I know how much Ive opened it, Also If drilling holes or cutting slots, Where? Thanks Eric

I assume he's refering to 85% of the exhaust port opening. As far as where to make your holes or slots? Do a search of muffler mods on here and read, but basically you want to direct the exhaust gases away from the saw, your hands and not directly into the wood.

Latest posts

Back