044 question with pictures.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that the rear handle is broken and it looks beat up. Hi did not mention these obvious flows.

Rony

well.... he did.. in his standard way...

"All of our equipment is used and may have scratches,dents or deficiencies.Some equipment may need work. Please note,deficiencies,when known,are indicated in the description of the item,however, in the absence of any indicated deficiencies does not mean the item for auction may not have deficiencies.Please ask questions before bidding."

Where is the handle broken? If it's at the rear bottom, I can show you how to fix that easily.

Last edited:
wish my fleabay special 044 came with a 3/4 wrap and double dogs:cry: instead i got a cracked MS440 tank that weaps gas when the saw is laid over and a compression reading much lower than advertised! Love the saw tho...you will not be disappointed. They are great even as old wr:greenchainsaw: ecks.

Under what conditions do you guys think it is worth keeping? What should I check for?

Assuming the compression is good, how much is it worth?

Rony

My post was before your "broken handle" comment. Just wait and see if he will make it right. I would say by the pics that it went for a average price.

Do you think the handle could have been broken by the shipping co.? I don't think/hope that he would have sold it like that.........

My post was before your "broken handle" comment. Just wait and see if he will make it right. I would say by the pics that it went for a average price.

Do you think the handle could have been broken by the shipping co.? I don't think/hope that he would have sold it like that.........

No, it looks like it was broken for a while. I think I might test compression now! What are good numbers?

Yes... he should have pointed out the broken handle.

My 046 tank has that same break, as do a half dozen other 044/46 tanks I have here for eventual repair. Happen when the saw gets dropped from a height onto concrete (or something hard) handle first.

I published a thread earlier this year on an 044 with 46 parts. See post 98

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=46483

Compression, after running normally - with the correct tester - 145-165... below 145 it's on the way out.. Mid-life around 150-155

Last edited:
Compression Numbers

Well, I just checked compression, after the 10th pull it stabilized at just above 150 psi. My Dolmar PS-5100s is around 175 psi. Also the plug looks gray :dizzy: not white or light brown or wet! What does that mean?

Thanks,
Rony

Out here they all sport 28-32, but that's the PNW... 25-28 in REAL HW is a reasonable choice.

Fix that handle though....

I just got an email from him saying,

"Hello Rony,
Yes you may return the item. I will be out of town until 11/26. Please have item arrive as soon after 11/26 as possible. I will inspect the item upon arrival.
Thanks
Rich"

I guess he is a good ebayer. Should I keep the saw? From reading some posts I think for this price it should be in nicer shape.

Rony

I just got an email from him saying,

"Hello Rony,
Yes you may return the item. I will be out of town until 11/26. Please have item arrive as soon after 11/26 as possible. I will inspect the item upon arrival.
Thanks
Rich"

I guess he is a good ebayer. Should I keep the saw? From reading some posts I think for this price it should be in nicer shape.

Rony

if you return it you'll be paying 2X freight... Weigh that against any negatives..

maybe he would split the cost of a handle or maybe he has one that he could trade out.

you payed a fair dollar for that saw but they are good saws.

Mine is a 98 model and has 165psi, I am happy with it for the most part. I'm not going to tell you what I got mine for.

you can't compare the dolmars to other saws. Dolmars dote off the high compression. That is their power, base and cranking compression.

my 5100 has many miles on it but still has 170psi.

These two saws are low on my list of projects, but someday.

I did muffler mod them both though, the Stihl REALLY needs to open up the muffer.

Don't sweat it!!!

most of the old 044 10MM wristpin saws ran and cut like (EDIT)really well,,,especially after a muffler Mod,,,,,Hey if it runs good,,,,(EDIT)before you do anything else or spend any more money check the crank bearings for wear by applying a little radial pressure to the ends of the shaft,,, you can check the fly wheel side just by pressing on the outer edge of the flywheel,,,,,if the bearings are good you should see no decernable deflection on either end,,,, if they have wear and you can see it move radially,,,,,welll thats another story,,,,(I have run them for up to a year with a very slight deflection,,,before changing as long as it runs and cuts good get some use out of it,,,, if it passes the crank bearings test switch your premix to one of the good synthetics,,,, Ultra is a good place to start if you have it available if not Amsoil 100 or Mobil2T are just as good,,,IMHO run good quality Hi-test (Premium fuel) or at a minimum,, get a factory Dual port Muffler and adjust your carb,, service the clutch drum rollerbearing sharpen the chain Inspect/check/service the bar, (clean the goove, clean the oilholes, dress rails as needed and go sling some chips!!!!! If you dont have the time/tools/resources to do the repairs yourself,,,,,,,well that too is another story :givebeer:

Last edited:
That's an interesting ebayer. One line for the vague description and the rest of the page is devoted to CYA.

Ian

Last edited:
I have to shake my head at this....

There are a few Ebay sellers that obviously selling extremely well used equipment that in my opinion has been retired by professionals and getting top dollars because people just pay too darn much for them. There is usually a reason that professions get rid of their equipment when they do.

First you got what he said you got. The only iffy part is the handle which he should have told you about but he did great CYA on the listing. The fact that he is good enough to take the saw back reflects well on him.

When are people going to learn that too many people on Ebay think that winning is more important than getting good value. Then others get on the site, look at what well used stuff has sold for in the past and figure that they should pay that as well.

In an auction like this you should realize that you are taking your chances and factor that into the bid amount.

If the saw works and does the job then just run it.

Latest posts

Back