044 Woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoroilmccall

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, the 044 is acting up. I dawg the saw in and start cutting, and the saw bogs out and stops cutting, this is with a 20" bar and 7 pin on it... Does the same thing with an 8 pin, or a 7 pin and a 28" bar...

Compression is at 140-145psi cold, 130-135 hot... I'm thinking its time for a rebuild. It still seems like its cutting fine if you don't dawg the saw in, but as soon as you do it'll bog out. Never quite had a saw act like this, so I figured there's a decent chance someone here has. Any ideas fella's?

Sounds to me like you've identified the problem. I wish I could help you quantify the ratio of lost power to lost compression, but I'm not sure I can. Your saw may have had up to, say, 165 psi at some point. You're now reading 140 psi or roughly 18% less compression. Since compression is an important component of torque, then yes, you've lost some horsepower...I'm not sure how much, though. Maybe someone smarter than me will come along and tell us.

Anyway, sounds like you need to inspect your piston and cylinder. Pretty easy job.

Yeah, I've rebuilt it before, just don't remember the saw acting like this when it had 125lbs of compression when I bought it. That was years ago though, so I guess I could have forgotten.

Doggin' in for what??? Fallin'? That's the only real use for dogs anyways. Pivot point.

If you're doggin' in for buckin', and reefin' up on the saw handle... you'll slow any saw down.

Gary

Well, the 044 is acting up. I dawg the saw in and start cutting, and the saw bogs out and stops cutting, this is with a 20" bar and 7 pin on it... Does the same thing with an 8 pin, or a 7 pin and a 28" bar...

Compression is at 140-145psi cold, 130-135 hot... I'm thinking its time for a rebuild. It still seems like its cutting fine if you don't dawg the saw in, but as soon as you do it'll bog out. Never quite had a saw act like this, so I figured there's a decent chance someone here has. Any ideas fella's?

If it were a 372 compression would not be the issue however I think stihls are supposed to be higher compression engine. Take the muffler off check the cylinder and piston. If that is good then start eliminating other choices,fuel lines,pull vacuum on the case etc. Check that the coil is not loose clean air filter etc.

What are your rakers set at?

Doggin' in for what??? Fallin'? That's the only real use for dogs anyways. Pivot point.

If you're doggin' in for buckin', and reefin' up on the saw handle... you'll slow any saw down.

Gary

Yes for felling... Bucking too, I don't reef on the thing, but stickin in a dawg and giving the rear handle some pressure gets easier at the end of the day.

I'm gonna pull the jug anyways, but I wasn't sure if it was just a worn out clutch, as in all the days cutting wood, I've never smoked a clutch. If its indeed just due to low compression, I'll pull the jug, flex-hone it, and throw in a new piston and rings.

Rakers are set at .025 on the 28" loops, .030 on the 20" loops. The air filter is clean (relatively, its the HD filter, and a new one is on order), the if the fuel line were cracked it'd be running lean, and it sounds more like its running rich (even with only 1 turn out on the H jet), case holds vacuum fine... Never checked the coil, never really thought of it to be honest, I've never seen a loose one. But I'll check it tomorrow!

Last edited:
My 044 still cuts fine at 125 cold @5000' = 145 psi. I run a semi chisel non skip on a 25" bar. My guess is you may have some other problem- fuel line, induction line, ?? Although I must confess, since I bought a Univent, the 044 is seeing more time at home. I'm not a rebuilder so my help is limited to the compression issue. Good luck and hope you get that fine saw happy again.

Yes for felling... Bucking too, I don't reef on the thing, but stickin in a dawg and giving the rear handle some pressure gets easier at the end of the day.

I'm gonna pull the jug anyways, but I wasn't sure if it was just a worn out clutch, as in all the days cutting wood, I've never smoked a clutch. If its indeed just due to low compression, I'll pull the jug, flex-hone it, and throw in a new piston and rings.

Rakers are set at .025 on the 28" loops, .030 on the 20" loops.

If it was the jug piston I would big bore it especially after the second build also new seals and bearings would be in order !

The first rebuild was a complete teardown... The local Stihl dealer did the case years ago, I did the piston and cylinder (long story). Guess I'm just gonna have to tear the thing down and figure it out myself darnit. :givebeer: And I haven't heard good things about the big bore kits. You know something I don't Rope?

The first rebuild was a complete teardown... The local Stihl dealer did the case years ago, I did the piston and cylinder (long story). Guess I'm just gonna have to tear the thing down and figure it out myself darnit. :givebeer: And I haven't heard good things about the big bore kits. You know something I don't Rope?

I know I must have got a good one as mine has been getting with it for a year no problems and lotsa power me likes. Plus I may decide to get juggy with it with a grinder for some portty power:laugh: I still have an absolutlely perfect oem if I gets too carried away lol.
Really though My baileys bb was great and still is and I have it tuned fairly tight too just a slight hint of barble and it screams daily!

If you're going to go BB, may as well go with an 046BB kit and have some fun with it. I'm really enjoying mine, I may just have to sell off the rest so I can do another one.:)

I'd do the simple stuff first...

overhaul the carb... pressure/vacuum test case...

replace with a new plug, not just clean plug.

Case was checked, plug is brand new, Carb is less than 6 months old. I might have to to it again I guess.

At this point, here's what I have on the list:
-New Filter (already on order)
-New Piston
-New Rings
-Hone the Bore
-Rebuild the Carb

If the weather picks up and work gets busier, then maybe I'll spring for the BB Kit.

I'd have to say it's not a compression problem.
Engine bogs down under a load rules out the clutch.
You most likely have a fuel flow problem.
I'd first check fuel line for cracks.
Clogged fuel filter.
Then clean the carb out.
Oh yeah a clogged up muffler screen will do the same thing and it's a quick check.Had some mud wasp's shut a saw completely down once with a nest,drove me nuts till I figured that one out. Damn bees.

Always check the simple stuff first.

If your comp. gauge is accurate compression is not your problem. Make sure you fuel supply and vent are 100% and like said, check you muffler screen. 1 turn out is too rich on most stihls. What is it taching no load? I would tune it by ear in and out of the wood. what color is the plug showing now?

I'd have to say it's not a compression problem.
Engine bogs down under a load rules out the clutch.
You most likely have a fuel flow problem.
I'd first check fuel line for cracks.
Clogged fuel filter.
Then clean the carb out.
Oh yeah a clogged up muffler screen will do the same thing and it's a quick check.Had some mud wasp's shut a saw completely down once with a nest,drove me nuts till I figured that one out. Damn bees.

Always check the simple stuff first.

I agree. My 026 was acting the same way. New fuel line and it was back to normal.

Alright, got er' torn down, haven't found anything bad at this point, few small things like tons of dirt everywhere, and some kind of nest burnt to a crisp near the port on the muffler, that's probably what was making the saw bog down. Anyway... I figured while I was in there I might as well tune er' up a bit :cheers:. So, I tore it all apart, down to the case, got the jug off, and pulled the piston and wrist pin. The Dremel is charging while I type this :chainsaw:.

So, I'm pulling the base gasket, porting the intake and exhaust, putting in a new piston and rings in it, and letting her rip. Oh yeah, and the drive sprocket bearing was well past shot.

Here's where we're at so far:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The flakes you see in the jug are from where I started to port the intake... I'll wash it out in the parts washer before I re-assemble everything.

Last edited:
Back