046 Chain brake pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Rebuilding an 046. Just discovered this pin on which the brake handle/flag pivots.

Can anyone tell which pin it is from the IPL below?

How much of a pain is it to get this broken pin out? Any advice?

Thanks!

--JC

IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8334.PNG

You're right... #11 is longer than the others, and this one looks like it would have to be longer to go all the way through the brake "flag".

Better news... found an air leak in the crankcase. I'm assuming there's no way to fix this w/out splitting the cases, right?

IMG_8337.JPG

Wonder if it could be drilled out and something similar pressed in?

1121 162 5200 (the pin beside the one in question) is on eBay. Have reached out to my "go to guy" for parts to see if he can get it. If he can't, I'll try my Stihl dealer.

Here are two pics of my air leak location. It's only leaking on the flywheel side. Clutch side is fine, but just showing the screw in question. Can't visualize where the leak is coming from... would pretty much have to be the case gasket, right?

IMG_8338.JPG IMG_8339.JPG

It is critical to use oem case gaskets for this series of Stihl. For some unknown reason, AM 046/460 gasket kits use this God-awful waxy paper that feels crappy and has failed in 3 saws that I know of.
Other kits (036, even a chinese 064) feel "right" and work well.

Thin coat of sealant, yep.

Awesome. Thank you guys.

I am slightly confuzzled about replacing the bearings, though. On the clutch side, I've been reading in another thread about using the oil pump as the stop for the bearing. I thought the bearing was recessed a bit to allow space for the seal? Does the outer edge of the clutch side seal go inside the outer race of the bearing itself?

Maybe I'm thinking too hard and need to chill out until after I split the cases and get to take a good look? But I'm a nerd, and I like to have all my ducks in a row beforehand...

Yep, the seal sits within the bearing. The pump positions it properly and the seal isn't recessed too far. Use the oil pump as a stop and keep it in there when centering the crank. Many ways to do this but I use heat.
Take a pic of the existing seal depth for later, it's about flush with the bearing... right?

Take a pic of the existing seal depth for later, it's about flush with the bearing... right?

Here's how the seal sits now. Both seals were leak-free, I just figured since I was in here, I'd be a fool not to replace them. Then found the case gasket leak. And told myself, "welp, if I'm gonna be splitting the case, I'd be a fool not to replace the bearings."

Now I'm wondering if I'd be a fool not to powder coat it, or maybe just paint? But if I paint and it starts to peel as soon as gas gets on it, I'll be thoroughly pissed...

IMG_8349.JPG

Latest posts

Back