046BB aftermarket P&C kit FAILED!! Don't buy them.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinm210

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not the first one and probably not the last.

I gambled and now I get to look at resplitting my case to search for piston ring pieces. I did not touch the exhaust port contact area, it was the stock kit. The port (Squarish as they all are) did have some slight rounding at the top and bottom, but it wasn't enough and the ring shattered.

Live and learn, then buy OEM stihl P&C kits...my own damn fault for buying cheap and I got what I paid for.

The piston and cylinder was all nicely coated in oil, the fuel was Stihl gas at the speced mixture, and this is what I got after the first couple of pulls.

046bbfailure.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is that the rings, cir-clips and wrist pin suck. The only parts you want to use is the piston and cylinder. I broke a ring trying to install my jug, so I'm gonna go with 395 rings. If my kit blows up, I have a used 066 p&c to fall back on. Hopefully Bailey's makes it right for ya.

im thinking about using a 460bb on a 044 for a stock appearing racer, but i would be doing so much porting that i could do the tapers right, and round them out just a lil. noticed you bought it on ebay. that means no chance for a refund or replacement...

thats crabby.... they should replace it...you have pics of the neat work you do.

You should have read all my posts on BB kits, sorry man I know you put a lot of effort into that saw.
Anyway, you don't have to split the case to gets chucks of ring out. Just flush it out with saw gas and air, little screw dirvers works well to and you should be fine.

It appears to have caught the ring on the bottom of the exhaust port, if I'm interpreting the photos correctly.

My first 066 had the BB kit installed with no massaging early last summer and has done duty mostly on the Alaskan Mill with no problems. Milling is SEVERE duty for a saw because of extended periods of WOT.

FWIW, I have a Mahle P&C with chipped chrome at the top of the exhaust port. Luckily, it didn't break a ring. I've since cleaned up the P&C(it was scored), and reinstalled the same parts and have 160#+ compression. I don't know if the chip was beacuse of the scoring or not, but the reassembled and retuned saw has seen 14K during tuning.

You're unhappy right now, and that is understandable. Parts can fail regardless of who manufatured or supplied them. Reports on late Stihl cylinders hasn't been exactly rosey, and I'm not knocking Stihl products.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on the replacement, I bought it on ebay from a guy. I am sending him a photo of my aftermath just so he can be aware of the parts quality he's dealing with here.

I don't blame him though, as I understand it these BB kits are all manufactured by the same folks. I originally was going to order this through Bailey's, but they were out of stock.

The saw did not have any time on it. I just tried to start it last night, got through a couple of pulls. All I got was one decent rev up and then it stopped. After trying to restart I noticed there was a lack of compression compared to before, but I assumed it was just oil in the cylinder that burned off and continued trying to start it. Apparently the ring shattered and spit out of the exhaust port pretty quickly and seemed to pull ok after that. Only difference I could tell was that the compression was lower and it didn't want to start.

Oh well, I gambled...bought cheap and it didn't work out. I could salvage this cylinder, but I'm honestly not sure I want to even bother with it now.

You're better off buying a used OEM cylinder off ebay. Then you're just gambling with condition, not quality.

Looks like those funny grooved rings that failed on another thread posted a while back.

I would not buy a kit with the grooved rings, at least until a vendor comes forward with a detailed failure analysis report and corrective action plan.

On the other hand, I've still got a Bailey's 066 BB kit with conventional rings sitting on the shelf, and plan on using it when the need arises.

At least if you buy parts from Bailey's, instead of ebay, you can expect Bailey's to stand behind the product. And usually the Bailey's price is just as good.

You mean the rings failed....... I can't believe it. :rolleyes:

:deadhorse:

I feel your pain man, BEEN THERE DONE THAT!! :cheers:

...At least if you buy parts from Bailey's, instead of ebay, you can expect Bailey's to stand behind the product. And usually the Bailey's price is just as good.

Call me a skeptic... and not picking on Baileys specifically, but just because the customer service is better then the product doesn't make it a good deal..

Latest posts

Back