046BB aftermarket P&C kit FAILED!! Don't buy them.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like those funny grooved rings that failed on another thread posted a while back.

I would not buy a kit with the grooved rings, at least until a vendor comes forward with a detailed failure analysis report and corrective action plan.

On the other hand, I've still got a Bailey's 066 BB kit with conventional rings sitting on the shelf, and plan on using it when the need arises.

At least if you buy parts from Bailey's, instead of ebay, you can expect Bailey's to stand behind the product. And usually the Bailey's price is just as good.

Because of the instances of failure, and seemingly with just the grooved rings, I've purchased Husqvarna 395xp rings as replacements for my spare 066kit. Supposedly the reason for the grooved rings is reduced friction, but may be causing this other issue.

Call me a skeptic... and not picking on Baileys specifically, but just because the customer service is better then the product doesn't make it a good deal..

As you know, good customer service is a rarity these days. Most places will take your money and run. Do they only have good customer service to avoid a black eye here? Maybe, but many have spoken well about the company before AS was around.

The BB kits sound like a good deal, but they have there limitations. Would I use one if I was making a living with it? Heck no. The BB kits are usually not any faster than OEM anyways. They use a bigger bore in order to keep up with OEM and as a marketing scheme. I am trying one on my 064 because I want to try one first hand.

We know you don't like the Asian kits, Lakeside. After my experience with a Golf piston failure, I'm not going to run out and buy another Golf piston anytime soon.

However, I'm betting Grande Dog is working is tail off to get the problems with the Bailey's BB kits solved, and either he will solve it or else he will end up dropping this manufacturer.

I know this particular kit was not purchased from Bailey's, but since it appears to come from the same factory, I'd be curious to hear an update on what they have learned about the ring failures and what is going to change ?

not Japan - taiwan/china...

What's that?

attachment.php

That's the money you could be saving with Tsing Tao parts! Not...

Last edited:
You already have had a piston faliure and after reading this you are going to use another?:confused:

btw, kool avatar! Stevie is the baddest blues man ever.:clap::cheers:

I personally haven't had any problems with aftermarket pistons, just rings. I broke a 066 BB ring while installing and had a problem with 026 rings once.

Stevie is a helluva guitar picker, one of my all time favorites. Nobody deny that.:clap:

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear an update on what they have learned about the ring failures and what is going to change ?

I doubt they(maker) changes anything, the kits are cheap for a reason, the materials are cheap for budget minded guys. The overall sales may be good enough to not worry about a few "bad" kits as the cost to produce these are very low.

I doubt they(maker) changes anything, the kits are cheap for a reason, the materials are cheap for budget minded guys. The overall sales may be good enough to not worry about a few "bad" kits as the cost to produce these are very low.

I believe the kits consist of 3 producers. One for the piston/cylinder, one for the rings and one for the cir clips.

I believe the kits consist of 3 producers. One for the piston/cylinder, one for the rings and one for the cir clips.

Hell that's even worse, LOL.

I got those pistons from Brad also, they may have been less than $35 can't remember, it was long ago and I think I got 9 of 'em.

What would you guys suggest for a replacement piston and rings if I decide to use the cylinder?

If I go to Bailey's all I see are the same thing that failed.

What else is 54mm, but of worthwhile quality?:confused:

Perhaps get another piston and some OEM 066 rings?

What would you guys suggest for a replacement piston and rings if I decide to use the cylinder?

If I go to Bailey's all I see are the same thing that failed.

What else is 54mm, but of worthwhile quality?:confused:

Perhaps get another piston and some OEM 066 rings?

What is the pin diameter and height from center of pin to top of piston? If you have a stock 066/660 piston, compare them.

I bought a Meteor 066/660 piston and its a fine looking piece.

A different failure

A few years ago I got a BB046 kit from Baileys. It ran, I think, 20 seconds.
Massive scoring, destroyed piston & cylinder.
Baileys made it right with me, and the replacement kit worked okay. The rest of the saw died, but I have the P&C for a future transplant.

Drag to have to start over.

Would chamfering the exhaust port have made a difference?

Do the same quality issues exist with the standard size aftermarket P&C kits, or is it a bigger problem with the big bore kits?

Thanks

Philbert

FYI,
The OEM 066 piston won't fit, the distance from pin edge to top of piston is about 1.4mm taller on the 066. In addition the 066 piston is about 43mm tall total and the 046BB piston is about 39.5mm.

So I'm not sure you could even machine one down to fit just right. I think that would be way too much pop up and you wouldn't have enough material left in the top of the piston.

The 066 rings I think would be a good replacement for these 046BB kit rings. I just tested some used 066 rings on the damaged piston in the cylinder and it feels good.

That and I think the ports definitely need a little rounding at the top and bottom.

Back