056mag2 project underway... part one of many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get much of change to work on the saw today - work beckoned...

Inserted the FW side seal.. the Clutch side is pre-fitted by Stihl and integral to the bearing.

New SEM ignition.

attachment.php

Timing "strike "marks. These have little direct relevance, but will be a relative guide for setting the timing. The screws holding the module in need to be secured with blue loctite (242), but there's no point right now - The timing needs to be set (by moving the module) first. I ended up setting it halfway between the two marks for initial startup. Once I calibrate the timing (FW has to come off a couple of times...), I'll remove the screws and loctite them. If you're rebuilding an 045/56, and it doesn't have M4x16 TORX screws, replace them.

attachment.php

FW on.

attachment.php

Bar studs... these are the M8/M10 studs used standard in the later Mag 2's (some earlier Mag's have M8/M8), and can be used as repair studs (tap out the hole to M10) for most Stihl pro saws.

attachment.php

Thus side buttoned up except for the clutch... Can't quite bring myself to buy an $89 new clutch when I have 4 great shape used clutches.. maybe later... or I'll get lucky and find one really cheap ;) BTW... Brad Corradi sent me a complete NOS sprocket kit (drum, drive, everything...) - thanks Brad!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Drag it out for GTGs... then clean it again....

Not selling it... but a saw that doesn't saw isn't a saw.... so it will saw now and then...

Some more progress...

Flywheel on. Buffers mounted, wiring in place and impulse hose connected. Loop string around the boot and pull boot though to mate tank/carb box assy to the main engine.

attachment.php

Fan shroud bolted down, wiring terminated, kill switch mounted, muffler on, inside dog mounted.

attachment.php

I decided to use the orginal slotted screws (for authenticity) in all places except torx for the cylinder and muffler (sorry Stihl - I want those to stay in..).. I did use loctite 242 on many of the slotted head screws...

Last edited:
yea...but then i'd have to come up with everything else!! btw how do u use ebay sniping?

PM me you email address again... I'll sign you up to my not-so-secret source, and get three successful snipes for doing so.... I've saved a fortune by sniping.. Only amateurs "bid early and high...";)

Last edited:
I'm not looking for anything new...but i want a decent one that runs good...it doesn't even have to be pretty..but i wouldn't want it patched together too much...i just want one for the nostalgia and to run from time to time.....I know i'm not from that area but to me those saws just have a sort of "aura" to me..and some of these history that those saws have would be unbelievable!!

hmm...Lake..what did u do with the original one that you rebuilt?

Last edited:
I'm putting a decent (not new) top cover on it right now, and it will be ready for a new home..... I put the new top cover, carb box and clutch cover on my new saw, and found decent used parts as replacements. I'll save it for you if you're interested. Give me a week... Pics will go into this thread..

PM me you email address again... I'll sign you up to my not-so-secret source, and get three successful snipes for doing so.... I've saved a fortune by sniping.. Only amateurs "bid early and high...";)

I use auction sentry. It's only $9.95 for the software, and you don't pay anything more for snipes. Also, updates are free. It paid for itself on the first auction I got.

I use auction sentry. It's only $9.95 for the software, and you don't pay anything more for snipes. Also, updates are free. It paid for itself on the first auction I got.

and I bet often I'll beat you... 'cos you are trying to do it on your local connection ;) I go to bed and my computer sleeps... let me sign you up too to you can try it(free).

and I bet often I'll beat you... 'cos you are trying to do it on your local connection ;) I go to bed and my computer sleeps... let me sign you up too to you can try it(free).

Yes, it does place the bid from my computer. However, I've got my computer set to never go to sleep. I've never missed a bid with it.

Never tried the other, but I might next time I go ebaying. My bank account is telling me I've got to lay off ebay for the next couple of months though. :cheers:

Finally...

Ready to power up... All I'm missing is a tiny bar and two screws to hold the rubber deflector on the back of the clutch cover, and they are coming from Stihl.

I do have a few spots to touch up wth gray paint, but.. ready to fuel up and test.

And... I need a new oil cap... and they are available.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back