056mag2 project underway... part one of many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "looking good" is the easy part. It's figuring out all these little twists and turns over 20 years ago that's the fun...

Dear Lakeside,

This is the most informative post I have ever seen on this fine site. Thank you Lake. You clearly know your stuff. I agree about the value of JB Weld. Also, the product known as Liquid Thread has worked very well for me for an aluminum application on an old Johnson 50 HP outboard (the throttle rocker). It saved the old motor for less than five bucks. I still have the old BM&T. Keep having fun and sharing with us.:chainsaw:

Hey Lakeside.....You gonna pawn this patched up JBweld saw off on some poor sap on Ebay?....You should be able to get $250 or $300 if they don't find out it's all JBweld.....Hahahahahaha! :popcorn: :cheers:

Hey Spacemule....You and RiverRat should go in together and buy that 056JBweld special.....cause it looks soooooooogood.....Hahahahahahaha! :monkey: :monkey:

056 MagII JBWeldSpecial!!!!!!!!! Brrrrrahahahahahahaha

It even has JBWelded handle bars......Brrrrrrahahahahahahaha!

DSC_53282028Medium292028229.jpg

I suppose it's everyone wondering where they can get that "JB Weld stuff" by the bucket full! but seriously it has its place. We have plenty of JB repairs up at the mine where I take care of the machinery. It's great for noncritical things like filling wear grooves on shafts where seal lips ride and stuff like that.

Hey Lakeside.....You gonna pawn this patched up JBweld saw off on some poor sap on Ebay?....You should be able to get $250 or $300 if they don't find out it's all JBweld.....Hahahahahaha! :popcorn: :cheers:

I'll put a reserve of $301 on it to keep you out of the winning... and by the time I sell it it will come with 4 spare handles. In anycase, almost all the major JB repair stuff is on the Super, and I swapped that back to the orginal owner for a truck of gravel ($330 plus tax out here), so I guess I did o.k. :monkey:

attachment.php

The -1900 mount/chain catcher is only found on the 045, but you'll often see handles advertised as 045/056.. sure.. with the right mount block.

The -1901 was the first 056 mount/chain catcher. It's similar to the -1901, but wider to get the rubber AV mount away from the chip path and side cover. The handle was shortened laterally on the bottom. Both the -1900 and -1901 get really beat up by the chain that that exposes an M6 screw head. Chains don't like steel screw heads...

Then came the -4400.. Nice simple bracket, cheap to make, BUT it's HEAVY GAUGE STEEL. Nice.. throw a chain and wham... steel on a square steel edge.

O.K.... the LAST version made is the -4401. It mounts between the muffler and the dog, wraps low under the cover and meets up with the handle. It's heavy gauge aluminum alloy. Better on the chains but... you can now also mount the nylon chain catcher 1117-656-7700 (you can see it on the 056 super pic above). This new mount adds about 1/4 inch to the gap than than the -1901 or 4400.. another minor variation of the handle.

Some "new" info gleaned from an old microfiche IPL...

The 1115-791-1900 was used ON 056 up to serial number 902390 (late 1980).
The -1901 up to serial number 112715825.
The -4400 (bad news on chains) up to serial number 116983628 (mid 1987).
The -4401 was used for all subsequent production and retrofits.

Last edited:
Today it ran...

Rebuilt the carb, tightened a few screws, three pulls, whrrroommm... and then a nice steady idle... I like that :)

I've got a couple of details to finish up and I need to get the timing set, but it runs real well..

But... I now have a new piston, a great looking crankcase pair, so I'm going to redo the entire engine with "like new parts"... heck why not..

Here she is.. (definitely a "she")... Oh yes,,, the recoil with the elastostart stays until I get the ignition timing adjusted... then I'll swap it to the genuine non-elastostart version that says "Made in WEST GERMANY" on the company plate.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here she is.. (definitely a "she")... Oh yes,,, the recoil with the elastostart stays until I get the ignition timing adjusted... then I'll swap it to the genuine non-elastostart version that says "Made in WEST GERMANY" on the company plate.

Watcha hiding underneath the curtain?

Latest posts

Back