056mag2 project underway... part one of many

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an old 045 Super that only has one dog(clutch cover side)... I don't suppose you might have part numbers for dogs that fit the 045/056? I'd really like a matching pair for this beast.

I've got an old 045 Super that only has one dog(clutch cover side)... I don't suppose you might have part numbers for dogs that fit the 045/056? I'd really like a matching pair for this beast.

1115 664 0500 for the puny things that break
1115 664 0501 for the butch ones. Stihl advise to use these only with fire safe muffler.

A google search for 056 spike should turn something up - last time I looked someone had a stack of them at a fairly reasonable price.

056 problem myself

I have an 3 056's that are animals, trouble with one is it revs up like a beast idles fine but put under a load and it starts missing and poping threw the carb i don't know whats wrong i think its either the ignition when heats up or just bad kill switch. But i will never part with these beasts. i'm sold it turns up a 36" bar like nothing.:chainsawguy:

Ok... finally got the "not mine" crap off my bench...

Time to get the 056MAG2 built up.. I've been slowly accumulating NOS parts.. and now have enough to pretty much rebuild the entire saw with new parts. The case sides were mismarked as "056 super"; the tank was missing gaskets and mislabeled... and all were coated in grime, dust, nicotine stains, and other crap... Dishwasher... (shhhh!) and they came out nice...

First..... insert NOS bearings into the new cases sides.

The NOS bearings and crank were locked up solid - nothing bad - just the old packing grease had "soaponified" - or.. dried out... Brake cleaner and they were like new (they are!)...

attachment.php

I removed the oil tank vent and all rubber parts as prep for heating in the convection oven.

The flywheel side will be easy - heat it to 300F for 20 minutes, and the bearing will drop in. The clutch side has a steel insert, and presents more of a problem as steel expands much less then mag, so the bearing is likely to be difficult to insert unless everything is perfect.... It needs to locate against the inner circlip. The easiest way is to insert it from the inside, but unless you have a backstop, there is no way to press the bearing in square. If you're not exactly square, it will jamb...

Find a piece of pipe 2 inches OD and square up the ends, or.... if you have a lathe, make one... The piece on the right is a cheap Stihl bearing mandrel. One end does the clutch side; the other end - the flywheel; fits many saws/bearings. MUCH easier than sockets and other mickey-mouse approaches! Time is of the essence.. and fumbling around while the bearing heats up isn't good....

attachment.php

In the arbor press... backstop beneath...
attachment.php

Both bearings in place... Love those new case sides!
attachment.php

Interestingly.. the case has a serial number.. which means it was pulled from production rather then as a "spare"... I might register it with Stihl... and get my warranty... lolol

To be continued...

Last edited:
another snowy day.. so more progress on the rebuild..

Two cranks.. Note the differences between the "old" (with bearings) and the NOS crank. The new crank is actually older, and has the FW side lobe ground for points. Apart from that, no differences, and it will work fine. The good news is that in 2079 when all 056 electronic ignitions have finally failed, someone can put points back in this one ;)

attachment.php

And... two oil pump spline drives... The left is NOS and the first generation and has a separate spacer ring; the right is a used later version with an extended inner sleeve. If you come across the earler version, you'll need the spacer. BTW.. neither of these are available from Stihl anymore..

attachment.php

Using the Stihl factory tools...

Suck on the ignition side...
attachment.php

Place the gasket, position with a few long screws, suck on the clutch side.

attachment.php

Loosely tighten the case screws, bang in the two location pins, and then torque the case evenly. I wanted to replace the case screws with torx, but.. the heads are nearly 1mm wider and in some holes bound in the bottom of the cast holes. Reverted back to new slotted/washer screws...

Trim the case gasket under the cylinder before you forget..

Fitting the piston and clips. Pistons (and even the clips) are no longer available from Stihl...

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cylinder going on...

This NOS cylinder is Marle chrome, not Nikersil. Most 056 are like this. I replaced the hex head cylinder bolts with M6x25 torx.

attachment.php

Oil pump and misc parts attached... The pump worm drive is the only old part in there... Still available but I'll find one really cheap one day ;)

attachment.php

Fuel tank- this is a REALLY good time to attach the fuel hose to the tank... a real PITA to to attach after assembly. Hose, fuel filter, gasket and new screws. Real easy stuff.

attachment.php

End of day... just a few more misc parts and then it ready for a new SEM ignition and final assembly.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Late 80's?

Many parts are still available, but only because nobody bought them!. You can get the old type clutch shoes, but not the later. Full clutches are available.. for now.

Pistons are not, a few Piston/cylinder sets are in stock, but no gaskets... part are getting thin... and in the past 6 months, many parts have been exhausted.

No more top handes either... I got pretty much the last one... or complete mufflers...

Last edited:
Looking good Lakeside53. This is making me want to find a mag2 to restore.:cheers:

Oh oh.. desperate searches for parts:

from today's Seattle craigslist...

056av Stihl Chainsaw/Piston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-03-30, 8:34PM PDT

Looking for a 52 mm piston(new or new appearance) for an 056av electronic stihl chainsaw. If you have a box of parts for this saw I'll buy that if it has a piston that will hold compression. I pay cash. Please call (425) 831 5508 and leave a message as I work at night. Thank you for your interest, Jay.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 624660301

Latest posts

Back