066 stalls when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adrpk said:
I know it sounds dumb to like these people but they are the better choice. The other stilh dealer in my area is a wancker too. He won't even take the 066.

Sounds like it is time for a new brand - dealer support is crucial. There is no point in owning equipment, no matter how good it is, if you cannot get high quality service, warranty support and parts when you NEED it!

Four Paws said:
I have found that most of the 'mechanics' at the small engine shops in my parts are kids, underpaid and without any working knowledge of small engines. I had them adjust a carb on a piece of equipment that I took in for warranty work at 1.75 turns out on the low speed screw, and .25 on the high speed - YIKES! ABSOLUTELY Clueless! What good is having a warranty when the work performed by the shop is going to further damage your equipment. I am to the point where I trust no one but myself to do any work on anything I own!

As far as lean siezures, I have only seen one from bad gas, and that was in a 2 stroke dirtbike. Jetting was spot on, and previous fuel types and oil and mix ratios were consistent. The guy ran out of gas and borrowed some from a riding buddy (who was using month old ethanol) and it created a lean condition and melted his engine down! Most of the 2-stroke world stays away from ethanol as it is oxygenated (which creates a lean condition by itself), and can have separation issues with certain oils.

The scorched pistons you guys are posting up makes me think your carbs are out of adjustment, or have bad internals that aren't metering fuel correctly. A carb that needs a rebuild will not operate as it should, and although the machine will still run, it will often run poorly, or lean, as the carb isn't functioning and it will eventually burn down! I am with Thall - rebuild the carb, check the low and high speed screws, and check your RPM.

I'm with you Four Paws, looks like high speed damage to me on those pistons but I'm not swearing to it till the man I know that knows for certain says what happened to those pistons. Where is Lakeside anyway, he's late tonite. He'll take one look at each of them and probly tell us which one was leaner than the other, yes, he's that good, trust me....

Four Paws said:
Sounds like it is time for a new brand - dealer support is crucial. There is no point in owning equipment, no matter how good it is, if you cannot get high quality service, warranty support and parts when you NEED it!

Bingo, thats hitting the nail on the head 100%, good post there, its 100% correct..

Four Paws said:
I didn't want to say, while I have the stilh guys on my case, Maybe I should wait for Lakeside to get here, but..... Ya, when I had to replace my 024 I bought a 359. But as far as I know the only husky dealer around me is where I bought the saw which was way upstate NY. If something happens to that saw.... I don;t know.

Adrpk said:
Rebuild a carb that has only like 60 hrs. on it?

Don't know about rebuilding but get it set for sure. Seems to me they set your saw right up the max rpm or a tad over and boom, she died.

Adrpk said:
I didn't want to say, while I have the stilh guys on my case, Maybe I should wait for Lakeside to get here, but..... Ya, when I had to replace my 024 I bought a 359. But as far as I know the only husky dealer around me is where I bought the saw which was way upstate NY. If something happens to that saw.... I don;t know.

Yeah hang tight, I want to see what Lake says exactly happened to your saw. If anyone will know for certain he will. Hang tight, he should be here in abit.

Adrpk said:
Rebuild a carb that has only like 60 hrs. on it?

My carb in my BRAND new husky brushcutter went to SH*T after about 2.5 hours of run time! 60 hrs or 60 minutes, it really doesn't matter...you can't look at those diapragms and tell they are bad, you need to replace them! $9.50 in a rebuild kit is cheap insurance, MUCH cheaper than your 3rd piston, rings, and cylinder.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Most guys who wear the name of "mechanic" (or technician or engineer or doctor!) are nothing more than parts swappers. They have no clue how to troubleshoot. They have learned a few fixes that go with a certain bucket of problems, and when they see one of those problems, they throw one of their fixes at it. Spray and pray.

Then there are real mechanics who get to the root of the problem. Understanding how things work, they can work backwards from the problem to probable causes, and know how to narrow things down to THE cause, and then fix it.

Sounds like Tom is in the second category.

Durn missed that post, thanks Mark, your not such a heathen afterall,lol

O.k... I get to see quite a few big saws with burned out pistons, and they all look just like the two (three) shown... The guy usually tells me "it was working great and then it stopped". Also see the same on Blowers where they run at their max HP while slowly disintegrating the piston over a 30 minute run time.. Got another in today as a matter of fact.. It ran great today..., just wouldn't restart. Compression 100lbs... piston melted on exhaust side.

It's almost always gas related (Oil ratio, old gas makes the saw run hotter, crappy gas or low octane gas does the same), or mixture. The gas part you can fix easily - mid grade or above, no alcohol etc etc. use a decent oil, and mix at 50, 40, 32 or whatever, I don't care.

Mixture is another issue. One part is under your control. If you tune your carb to the max, run the saw hard in hot weather, don't clean your cylinder fins or flywheel fins, you can expect more problems than if you tune it it conservatively and run it nice... like NOT goosing the last drop out of the tank..

Another mixture related problem you can't control - an air leak in boot, seal, gasket will take your saw out in a heat-beat if you tune to over come a developing problem. I always check carb settings - if the L screw is 1.5 plus turns out, there is a real good chance something is leaking. Fix it! And listen to your saw.. if it starts to idle fast, or run on after a long cut, you likely have a problem in the works.

Split fuel hoses are often intermittent and may not show a problem unless at full flow... then they suck air. Same with impulse hoses.

Water in the gas is a real problem. It can be "clean" water (recent rain etc) or old water in a metal tank. Both indicate a problem with gas care so I usually suspect bad gas. Old regular from god knows what farmer's pump, or Arco (10% alcohol out here) bought last season and left in the can/saw. I recently has an 026 that I rebuild the carb three time before the owner fessed up to water in the gas can - Only a tiny amount but had rust particles that got into the fuel filter, through the fuel filter, into the carb and every where else. Remember me telling a previous poster to chuck the filter out?

Water in the carb WILL rust the metering arm screw. The rust then gets into the bore and the outlet valves. PITA to get out. Whatever you do, put a new screw on the metering rod!

So... I HATE putting in a new piston if I can't see a cause. I quiz the customer to death on his gas an usage. I drive my boss crazy by "wasting time" finding problems, but you'd be amazed what I find...So far, none have ever come back... yet...

Not only pressure/vac test the saw, but pressure/vac test the tank though the fuel hose. A bad tank vent will lean your saw out just as easily as you doing it, at the carb and it's real hard to detect .

If your carb is NOT close to standard settings, find out why... Many failures are because of blocked air filters and a carbs set real lean to compensate. Then one day, the filter gets cleaned or replaced... Hmmm... that saw ran just great after the filter was changed, for a short while...

Anyhow, what is the actual question that is to be answered?

Lakeside53 said:
O.k... I get to see quite a few big saws with burned out pistons, and they all look just like the two (three) shown... The guy usually tells me "it was working great and then it stopped". Also see the same on Blowers where they run at their max HP while slowly disintegrating the piston over a 30 minute run time.. Got another in today as a matter of fact.. It ran great today..., just wouldn't restart. Compression 100lbs... piston melted on exhaust side.

It's almost always gas related (Oil ratio, old gas makes the saw run hotter, crappy gas or low octane gas does the same), or mixture. The gas part you can fix easily - mid grade or above, no alcohol etc etc. use a decent oil, and mix at 50, 40, 32 or whatever, I don't care.

Mixture is another issue. One part is under your control. If you tune your carb to the max, run the saw hard in hot weather, don't clean your cylinder fins or flywheel fins, you can expect more problems than if you tune it it conservatively and run it nice... like NOT goosing the last drop out of the tank..

Another mixture related problem you can't control - an air leak in boot, seal, gasket will take your saw out in a heat-beat if you tune to over come a developing problem. I always check carb settings - if the L screw is 1.5 plus turns out, there is a real good chance something is leaking. Fix it! And listen to your saw.. if it starts to idle fast, or run on after a long cut, you likely have a problem in the works.

Split fuel hoses are often intermittent and may not show a problem unless at full flow... then they suck air. Same with impulse hoses.

Water in the gas is a real problem. It can be "clean" water (recent rain etc) or old water in a metal tank. Both indicate a problem with gas care so I usually suspect bad gas. Old regular from god knows what farmer's pump, or Arco (10% alcohol out here) bought last season and left in the can/saw. I recently has an 026 that I rebuild the carb three time before the owner fessed up to water in the gas can - Only a tiny amount but had rust particles that got into the fuel filter, through the fuel filter, into the carb and every where else. Remember me telling a previous poster to chuck the filter out?

Water in the carb WILL rust the metering arm screw. The rust then gets into the bore and the outlet valves. PITA to get out. Whatever you do, put a new screw on the metering rod!

So... I HATE putting in a new piston if I can't see a cause. I quiz the customer to death on his gas an usage. I drive my boss crazy by "wasting time" finding problems, but you'd be amazed what I find...So far, none have ever come back... yet...

Not only pressure/vac test the saw, but pressure/vac test the tank though the fuel hose. A bad tank vent will lean your saw out just as easily as you doing it, at the carb and it's real hard to detect .

If your carb is NOT close to standard settings, find out why... Many failures are because of blocked air filters and a carbs set real lean to compensate. Then one day, the filter gets cleaned or replaced... Hmmm... that saw ran just great after the filter was changed, for a short while...

Anyhow, what is the actual question that is to be answered?

Question was simple Lake, were those pistons a lean burns??

Adrpk said:
If you see this on your scorched piston you had water in your gas.

Not necessarily.. That could have been water in your saw. Gets in though the muffler when you leave it in the back of the truck and drive down the freeway at 70 mph in the rain! Rusts the rings, makes them stick, generates friction and your piston starts to melt... once it starts, it's all over.

Latest posts

Back