066 stalls when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Madsaw said:
I had a very similar problem with a 920 jonny. I rebuilt the carb changed out all the electrical. Still run a few mins died out. Turned out to be the impulse line was cracked and old. As it would heat up the hose would get soft and lose its hold on the barb on the cylinder causing the carb not to pump. Also the heat caused a crack to open up in it too that was near the cylinder too. Replaced the hose and no more problem.
Bob

I had exactly the same problem with a 920. That was back when I didn't know anything and before I could get on line to have you guys straighten me out. What a headache that was.

Pat

Is there really timber 'round you guys that demands a saw this big, or is this just an overzealous hobbiest thing?

I have an 066 to use with my alaskian mill.

Lakeside53 said:
Changing a piston and refurbishing the cylinder is easy. The problem you'll have is that you won't have the tools (and maybe the experience) to figure out why it happened the first and second time, and your cylinder won't survive a third pistons... if it's even o.k.this time.

If you want to do this... I'm sure we can help, but...

As for tools - you just need a long 27 torx.
I am ready to tear it down. Here's some pics of the origial cylinder that came off the saw. Dosen't look too bad to me. What do you think?

Hack said:
I've followed this thread from the beginning and it's been highly educational. Thanks to all of you who have contributed.

But I still gotta ask....

What are you guys doing with a freakin' 90cc chainsaw???

I'm doing a quick look, and quite a few of you have a 660/066 in your arsenal.

Or is this simply an AS chainsaw forum thing?

Is there really timber 'round you guys that demands a saw this big, or is this just an overzealous hobbiest thing?

Me being purely a hobbiest, is a 90cc class saw something I should even consider? What I mean is is it really that much fun over let's say a 79cc saw?

:blob2:

Got my first 066 before I ever found this place..... Then i sold one, and bought another, and sold that one to my friend, then found another..Now I have two. Don't ask, I know I don't need two, but the 2nd was practically a steal and it has a neat read light on it. lol

91cc, well, it cuts big things, I mean big. Biggest tree I helped fall was 5 1/2 foot in diameter....The 066 did it, and did it well.

It cuts small things, very well. lol.

You being "purely a hobbiest", probably don't need one, but if you hang out here, you'll want one. If I gotta drag one big saw with me all day in the woods, I'd rather take the 7900 due to the weight. I never needed the 7900 before I came here....

Do a search of "King and 066". it is one of the best/baddest saws ever made. not many can touch in in performance or weight.

-Steve

Hack said:

Me being purely a hobbiest, is a 90cc class saw something I should even consider? What I mean is is it really that much fun over let's say a 79cc saw?

Yes, it is...

Come out to Washington sometime. A 60 year old tree (fir, hemlock, cedar) is 36+ inches..

Adrpk said:
I am ready to tear it down. Here's some pics of the original cylinder that came off the saw. Doesn't look too bad to me. What do you think?

Looks pretty bad to me. You can't tell if it's usable until the aluminum has been removed with muriatic acid, and it been gently honed...

Before you tear it down, get a service manual. You also need to be able to pressure an vacuum test the saw. Your dealer might help you out with this for a fee.

Maaaan, going back to the saw shop is more than half the reason I want to do it myself. The thought of the scene in that shop is not of a good nature. Hope you can understand. Any other way of testing the saw. Working on getting a manual. Where is a good place to buy Stihl parts?

why don't you get a buddy to take damaged saw back?

shop should stand behind it's work. just don't wait too much longer to take back. shop will more likely to give less trouble honoring their work when taken back right away.

Adrpk said:
Maaaan, going back to the saw shop is more than half the reason I want to do it myself. The thought of the scene in that shop is not of a good nature. Hope you can understand. Any other way of testing the saw. Working on getting a manual. Where is a good place to buy Stihl parts?

Good advice. Shows you know how mad I am. Not just at the shop but at myself. But in my weaker moments the anger at myself would be transformed into anger at them. Then a friend could come in handy to show up with bail.

Called the saw shop today. They will do as I asked. Test the saw and return with a new piston and jug in a bag to go. The guy I want to work on the saw is leaving on vacation tiil Wed so it will be a while till I get it back. He basicly said everything that has been in this thread about why this happened. In the end he deducted I ran in too lean on too hot a day. But he will let me know for sure after looking at it. If I decide to keep the saw I will do the piston myself. But I am really thinking about going with another saw. The 066 is a bit too tempermental for me.

update

The saw is back form the shop today. Decided to let them do the piston cylinder. $450. I haven't tried it out. He showed me my mix in a bottle and mix he uses in the shop. His was a little darker. Bought a case of stihl 2 cycle oil. Try not to mill for too long a time on hot days and keep the rpm's down.

Did get a hold of a stihl rep while waiting to get the saw to the shop. As usual they managed to get off the phone before I got any satisfaction. After he realized I was only trying to drill him a new anal orifice, he keenly got on the, what are you mixing at? Of course I didn't think fast enough and told him 38-1. Well, to bad for you charlie because in the instruction manual it's says only 50-1.
Well go blow stihl!

The guy in the saw shop did spend an hour with me today going over many things about chainsaws so he is earning his keep. The man from stihl is making too much money to bother with the riff raff.

So look out milling buddies I have some logs piled up I am going to get too. And I'll be posting the pics.

If it was mine, I'd break it in for 5+ tanks with "conventional cutting" before milling. Run it with a rich mix, and tune it rich...

I've switched to 100% synthetic in my 066.

Stihl representatives can officially only say "50:1". Anything else is not tested for EPA... It's like asking Ford if it's o.k. to change the roms in the Mustang computer.

My 066 will be revived soon. I replaced piston and cylinder, rebuilt carburetor. Dropped it off at the Stihl dealer yesterday to pressure test seals and carburetor. Check impulse line. Need to update the tank vent as per service buletin and we should be launching chips again this week. Many thx to Mr. Lakeside all that he did for me. Kudos Andy.....thx.:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:

Up and running fine. I am much more aware these days of the rpm's and heat coming off it. So far so good. I cut up a hugh red oak. I posted all about it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/search.php?searchid=698232&pp=25&page=2
I still need a tach. Right now I am busy with chainsaw unrelated things and am only just cruising the site lately. I will have some time in the winter to slab up some white pine I have down on my property. You can all look forward to those pics. In the meantime the 066 is resting. Good for it.

Hack said:

I have an excuse, I really do. I have a chainsaw mill, and need the power. Matter of fact, I need more power than that, and bought a Husky 3120, which is 120ccs. When you cut a log the "wrong" way, you need a lot of power. But, now that the Husky is on the mill, what to do with the 066? It's old and beat up, but runs like a top. Do I sell it and buy an 046 or a 372? No, I'd lose money, instead I've got a saw that is a bit too big, but can play back-up on the mill that I don't have any "real" money invested in.

Besides, have you ever run a 90cc saw in a log? :rock: It doesn't take long to get through it. It's almost painful to wait for my old Homie to get through a log of any size, although I just love that saw.

So there. These other guys, they have small "you know whats", and it is compensation. Me, I have a "special purpose" for my big saws. :laugh:

Mark

Hey guys, you think he took me seriously? Really?

Hack said:
I've followed this thread from the beginning and it's been highly educational. Thanks to all of you who have contributed.

Or is this simply an AS chainsaw forum thing?

MORE POWER!!!! ARG! ARG! ARG!!!!!

At long last my 066 is cutting again. I picked it up from the shop today. They pressure tested it and found no leaks. She got a clean bill of health. Impulse line and carburetor passed as well. I must have smoked that piston on a combination of a very hot day and set a little to lean as the saw came from the mountains and I am in the valley. Anyway I fired it up tonight and she works great. Better than ever. Lots of instant power on the throttle. I put a aftermarket piston and cylinder on it. I got it from Kafar on Ebay. The set lookedgood and the sawperforms great. Seems to be a good aftermarket kit. He claims to have quite a few out there and at a 0% failure rate. I hope he is right.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back