1 finger or 2 on the throttle????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
duct tape til it's outta Gas!!

really never thought about it. probably depends on where i need the saw to be and grip accordingly.

Last edited:
One finger for me.... I actually went, and got my saw out of my truck, just to see how 2 fingers felt. I feel like I have a lot better grip on the rear handle, with only my index finger on the go lever!!

The guy i work with thinks its odd that i pull the trottle with 2 fingers.
Ive done this for years and it feels awkward using only 1 finger.

Am i odd or do you guys do this as well?

Cutting low down i often work the trottle with my thumb as well!

Using a drill my index finger is above the switch running paralell with the body of the drill and i pull the trigger with the next 2 fingers down, This method puts the pressure through the drill in a straighter line IMO and breaks less small bits.
I guess a few years of putting between 6,000 and 10,000 screws a day into freezer lids brought this affliction on lol

Yup, 2 fingers for me, too (and that includes the bourbon in the glass). I'm a commercial carpenter and use my index up on cordless guns and throttle with middle and ring. On corded screw guns 2 fingers go up and throttle with ring and pinky, unless screwing overhead straight down (wow, can that be read a lot of ways!!!), The it's reverse palm and throttle with thumb.

Never thought about it. After reading the post when I happened to be in the shed tonight I grabbed a few saws just because I was curious.

Tried three:

880, 066 only index finger fit so that is what I must use

7900 first two fingers fit, so maybe I use both.

Now do folks breathe in or out when they start a cut?:hmm3grin2orange:

Edit: I thought about it when I ran the 395 today. When I picked it up I thought I used the middle finger and held the rear handle between my thumb and first index knuckle. As soon as I put the saw to wood I realized I use my index finger so I can be slightly back on the handle for more control. I had no idea.

My sense was (I could be wrong) that I never use my thumb like some posters. I think I cock my wrist when I cut at extreme angles.

Last edited:
Never thought about it. After reading the post when I happened to be in the shed tonight I grabbed a few saws just because I was curious.

Tried three:

880, 066 only index finger fit so that is what I must use

7900 first two fingers fit, so maybe I use both.

Now do folks breathe in or out when they start a cut?

141 = out
372 = in
Super Wiz 80 = hold
:monkey::monkey::monkey:

I use whatever fingers or thumb I can to keep the trigger mashed at various angles or positions. When felling and doing bore cuts, I definiately use my thumb a lot.

Sam

The guy i work with thinks its odd that i pull the trottle with 2 fingers.
Ive done this for years and it feels awkward using only 1 finger.

Am i odd or do you guys do this as well?

Cutting low down i often work the trottle with my thumb as well!

Using a drill my index finger is above the switch running paralell with the body of the drill and i pull the trigger with the next 2 fingers down, This method puts the pressure through the drill in a straighter line IMO and breaks less small bits.
I guess a few years of putting between 6,000 and 10,000 screws a day into freezer lids brought this affliction on lol

I would have to agree with the guy at work! how can you have a good grip on the saw when 2 fingers are running the throttle?

I would have to agree with the guy at work! how can you have a good grip on the saw when 2 fingers are running the throttle?

I guess, we are just living dangerously, LOL, right out there on the ragged edge of the envelope, LOL.

Seriously, people have run saws like this for as long has chainsaws have been run, and its quite doubful that those that run with two fingers end up running a bar tip through their noodles any more than those that specifically and consciously use 1 finger do for the theoretical idea that it is safer.

I'll say it like this then, for the first 8 hours of cutting I use 1 finger, then for the next 6 hours I use two fingers or my thumb or a zip tie, LOL. How is that for safety, LOL.

Some of this PC safety crap is ignorant, you are running a chainsaw .......... on a scale of 1 to 100 you are at about an 88 on dangerous ways you could be spending your time. Whether or not you use one or two fingers is the difference between an 89 or the 88, so who cares??

Its like complaining about which shoe is safer for a guy jumping out of an airplane with a parachute. Sure high tops, laced up are safer, but in the whole grand scheme of things its not that big of a deal.

I guess, that is what chat forums are for.

Sam

How do you even fit 2 fingers on the trigger?
That's what I'm talking about. I had to walk over to a saw and see how many fingers I use. Just one and don't see how I could even get two on the trigger.

This topic got me thinking. My first Craftsman saw, some junk model from the 90s, had the trigger lock. What ever happened to them? I kind of liked being able to lock the trigger at WOT and slide my hand back down the handle some.

Yup, 2 fingers for me, too (and that includes the bourbon in the glass). I'm a commercial carpenter and use my index up on cordless guns and throttle with middle and ring. On corded screw guns 2 fingers go up and throttle with ring and pinky, unless screwing overhead straight down (wow, can that be read a lot of ways!!!), The it's reverse palm and throttle with thumb.

Well i think we may need to give some of these one finger operators two fingers lol.

You definitely push through the drill in a straighter line that way and dont cam out on screws or break drill bits so much.
I'm like you i can work a cordless drill from any angle with any hand:cheers:

I can assure you guys i have as good a grip on my saws as any of you out there.
I think a lot of white finger is caused by holding the grips too tight rather than the vibration.

i use my thumb for notching and felling, use 1 finger for bucking. i think ocasionally may be 2. never gave it much thought till now. lol:cheers:

i couldnt fit 2 fingers on a trigger.I cant even find gloves that fit.I have big
hands.And big feet.

And you know what they say about big hands and big feet?????????????

Big shoes and big gloves

Latest posts

Back